Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Correct usage of relative clauses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Correct usage of relative clauses [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 10:05
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.
A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

Experts please explain what is wrong with option E? I am not able to spot any grammatical error in option A.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1228

Kudos [?]: 3369 [0], given: 181

Re: Correct usage of relative clauses [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 08:27
Expert's post
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Lets find the error in choice A. For this we need to understand the meaning of the sentence.

The sentence states the following:
    1: Second world war + 50 years later - many African American soldiers were awarded a great Medal
    2: This is called Congressional Medal of Honor
    3: This is the nations highest military award.
    4: This award was given to soldiers in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Understanding the last point is the key to figuring out the grammatical error in choice A. What is the role of "long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery". The way it is written, it appears as though the Congressional Medal of Honor is long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery. This is not logical - how can a medal of honor be long overdue...The act of awarding that medal can be long overdue. That is the grammatical error - choice A uses "which modifier" to describe the action - awarded the medal. "Which modifier" can only be used for modifying nouns.

Hope this addresses your concern. The thing to keep in mind is - Always read the sentence and understand what the author is trying to communicate. (meaning analysis) Once you understand that, then you apply your knowledge of grammar and see if the author has used English language appropriately or not. (error analysis) Once you hone in on the errors, then you correct those errors. (answer choice analysis). The first step is always to understand the meaning. :) If you skip this step, then you are setting yourself up for failure (especially for medium to difficult level questions).

What is the source of this question?

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Correct usage of relative clauses [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 08:35
Expert's post
I received a PM asking me to comment on this problem, so I thought I'd chime in. In addition to the points egmat made, there is another, simpler reason to rule out (A). The split among answer choices calls it to our attention: two start with 'with' and three omit that word. Idiomatically, you are 'awarded a prize' or 'awarded the medal of honor'. 'Awarded with' is not the correct idiom, so (A) and (B) are wrong.

As for what's wrong with (E), that's giving me a little more trouble. What's the source of this problem, and what's the original answer?

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Correct usage of relative clauses [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 09:44
A and B are clearly incorrect as "awarded with" is idiomatically wrong.

However, I landed on E as the correct answer, and you say that E is wrong. What is the correct answer then? And the reason for it?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 159

Re: Correct usage of relative clauses [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 11:56
KapTeacherEli wrote:
I received a PM asking me to comment on this problem, so I thought I'd chime in. In addition to the points egmat made, there is another, simpler reason to rule out (A). The split among answer choices calls it to our attention: two start with 'with' and three omit that word. Idiomatically, you are 'awarded a prize' or 'awarded the medal of honor'. 'Awarded with' is not the correct idiom, so (A) and (B) are wrong.

As for what's wrong with (E), that's giving me a little more trouble. What's the source of this problem, and what's the original answer?

This is a GMATPrep problem..with E as the OA. Any thoughts on it?

-MBAJunkie

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Correct usage of relative clauses [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 09:34
Expert's post
It would seem Answer D vs E is another idiomatic issue.
It should be: awarded X in recognition of Y, thus E. (or alternately we would say something like: He was awarded a medal for his work etc or The award recognized his work etc)
D states: awarded....for recognition... of

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/GMATTutorEcon
(866) 292-0660

Re: Correct usage of relative clauses   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 09:34