Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Correct usage of "with" in a prepositional phrase

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Correct usage of "with" in a prepositional phrase [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 19:03
India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian food comprises many different styles of cooking, with each a product of their regional influences, from the fiery vegetarian dishes of the south to the Portuguese-influenced Goan cooking of the west, to the more familiar Mogul food of the north.

a) with each a product of their
b) with each as a product of its
c) each products of their
d) each a product of
e) each products of

Source: Official GMAT Paper Test Question

Experts please explain, why option B is wrong? Why is it wrong "with each as a product" to modify "styles of cooking" ?

Why the pronoun "its" is incorrect in option B. Isn't this pronoun referring to "each" ?

Experts please help, I am really confused. :roll: :(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 6

Re: Correct usage of "with" in a prepositional phrase [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 18:55
Expert's post
sungoal wrote:
India, like Italy and China, has no single dominant cuisine: Indian food comprises many different styles of cooking, with each a product of their regional influences, from the fiery vegetarian dishes of the south to the Portuguese-influenced Goan cooking of the west, to the more familiar Mogul food of the north.

a) with each a product of their
b) with each as a product of its
c) each products of their
d) each a product of
e) each products of

Source: Official GMAT Paper Test Question

Experts please explain, why option B is wrong? Why is it wrong "with each as a product" to modify "styles of cooking" ?

Why the pronoun "its" is incorrect in option B. Isn't this pronoun referring to "each" ?

Experts please help, I am really confused. :roll: :(

I surprisingly arrived at (D) in less than 10 seconds. Here's how:

Step 1) I recognize this sentence structure--they're trying to describe the many different styles - but you want to describe them individually in a certain way. So I knew you have to use the word "each" in the beginning. That narrows it to (C), (D), and (E).

Step 2) When you say "each" - it's singular so whatever follows must be the SINGULAR form - even though the overall context of what we're talking about is plural (styles). Recognizing this potential trap and knowing what the answer should be, I was able to identify (D) as the only answer choice that as the SINGULAR form of "product"

Step 3) Choose (D) confidently and move on.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Correct usage of "with" in a prepositional phrase   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2011, 18:55