Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Method of Reasoningx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [206]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [56]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [8]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Co [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 4: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Consider, for example, postal workers: they are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker. But is this really true? What if more letters are lost or delayed per worker at the same time that more are delivered?

The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which of the following statements?

(A) Postal workers are representative of service workers in general.

(B) The delivery of letters is the primary activity of the postal service.

(C) Productivity should be ascribed to categories of workers, not to individuals.

(D) The quality of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity.

(E) The number of letters delivered is relevant to measuring the productivity of postal workers.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Hi,

The Q is very straight forward if you understand the para..

para :- para talks of delivery of letter as considered a measure of productivity..
But then questions NOT counting the late or lost deliveries..
If you understand what delay and loss constitute, ANSWER is right in front..
Delay and loss relate to QUALITY of service..

D talks of this and also is the answer..

Also "The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which of the following statements?" In a way tells you that the answer should be something the author wants to be incorporated.
With this as the basis of searching for the right choice, you can easily eliminate wrong choices.
General Discussion
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Co [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Attached is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 12.54.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 12.54.56 AM.png [ 112.87 KiB | Viewed 67612 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
What sub-division of CR question is this? Can anyone please mention that, preferably in Powerscore question type classification??
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheLordCommander wrote:
What sub-division of CR question is this? Can anyone please mention that, preferably in Powerscore question type classification??

I would say it is a weakening type question. The objection is based on doubt about truth of the correct choice, i.e., the objection is weakened by the correct choice.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

I could not understand the q stem, but was with you on argument understanding.

Quote:
So what's the question asking us for? Well, the author's objection (about whether productivity of service workers can be measured solely by output per worker) is "based on doubts about the truth of" one of the answer choices. Let's take them one at a time.

Is this a weaken Q? Presenting my understanding of
Quote:
The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which of the following statements?

The objection (in the argument) ... is based on doubts ... (which of below statements casts maximum doubt on the said objection)

Is this an assumption Q as kivalo pointed out?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [4]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 4: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Consider, for example, postal workers: they are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker. But is this really true? What if more letters are lost or delayed per worker at the same time that more are delivered?

(C) Productivity should be ascribed to categories of workers, not to individuals.

(D) The quality of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity.

(E) The number of letters delivered is relevant to measuring the productivity of postal workers.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo,

I could not understand the q stem, but was with you on argument understanding.

Quote:
So what's the question asking us for? Well, the author's objection (about whether productivity of service workers can be measured solely by output per worker) is "based on doubts about the truth of" one of the answer choices. Let's take them one at a time.

Is this a weaken Q? Presenting my understanding of
Quote:

The objection (in the argument) ... is based on doubts ... (which of below statements casts maximum doubt on the said objection)

Is this an assumption Q as kivalo pointed out?

adkikani

Understanding the Question Stem

Argument Structure:

General Claim -> Example of a belief -> Author questions that belief.

QS:

"The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which of the following statements?"

"Objection" -> weaken.
"truth" -> Assumption.

So Q is asking what is the assumption (that's commonly believed) is the author trying to weaken (i.e. object to). Btw this is a Method of Reasoning Q!

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
How to simplify such a seemingly complicated question stem?

Step 1:

The objection implied above to the productivity measure described -> this represents the objection mentioned in the last statement by the author. Let's call it conclusion-o (o - objection)

New question stem - "conclusion-o is based on doubts about the truth of which of the following statements?"

Step 2:
Let's remove doubts from the question stem for a moment. Now, we are left with this modified question stem "conclusion-o is based on the truth of which of the following statements?"

This modified question is clearly an assumption question.

Step 3:
Let's bring back 'doubts'

'conclusion-o assumes doubts about which of the following statements' -> one of the following statements is a negated assumption to the conclusion-o. This will also be the correct answer choice.

Step 4:

The answer choice is an assumption which breaks down the objection (since it is a negated assumption). Also, the answer choice is an assumption which supports the initial productivity argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Since the question stem refers to "the productivity measure described", let's make sure we understand what that means before analyzing the answer choices.

The passage states that postal workers "are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker". How is productivity being measured in this phrase? Only by the number of letters delivered (the output) per postal worker.

By asking, "But is this really true?", the author questions whether productivity of service workers can be measured solely by output per worker (or number of letters delivered per postal worker, in this case). This is the author's main objection. The author elaborates by asking, "What if more letters are lost or delayed per worker at the same time that more are delivered?" In that scenario, the output is increased (more letters are delivered) but the overall quality of the services performed is sacrificed, since more letters are lost or delayed.

Quote:

The author questions whether productivity can be measured solely by output and simply uses postal workers as an example; the author does not question whether postal workers are in fact representative of service workers in general. So (A) is gone.

Quote:

By saying that postal workers "are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker", the author gives an example of using output (number of letters delivered) to measure productivity. The author does NOT imply that this measure of productivity is flawed because delivery of letters is not the primary activity of the postal service. Instead, the author implies that this measure is flawed because it doesn't address the quality of the services (i.e., lost or delayed letters). So we can cross out (B), too.

Quote:

The author's objection relates to how productivity is measured, not to whether it is ascribed to categories of workers or to individuals. Although the author does discuss a category of workers (postal workers), the author doesn't address whether productivity should be measured at the level of groups or individuals. We can eliminate (C).

Quote:

Remember that the author's main doubt is whether productivity can be measured solely by output per worker (i.e., number of letters delivered per postal worker, in this example). In the example about postal workers, the output per worker is increased, but quality of service declines. So in the passage, the author is clearly doubting whether quality can be appropriately ignored in computing productivity. So (D) looks good!

Quote:

The author does not imply that the number of letters is not relevant to measuring the productivity of postal workers; rather, the author objects to whether productivity can be measured by output alone. The author implies that other factors, such as quality of services rendered, should be considered in addition to output when measuring productivity. So we can get rid of (E).

And that leaves us with (D).

The objection implied above to the productivity measure described "is based on doubts about the truth" of which of the following statements?

What does the bolded part mean?? I understand the objection implied by author ( i.e he is questioning the efficiency )
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1812 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
gmt1 wrote:

I approached in a fashion as described by PowerScore CR. Chronologically here's how i answered this question. Reading the Q-stem I tried figuring out what type it is? For a moment I thought its a weakening one but later part of Q-stem talks about truth of the options which made me believe that it must be 'must be true' or an 'assumption' type. Here i lost i think as i had doubt because i thought of Weakening first and later a bit of opposite of that.
Finally, after POE i was left with 'D' and 'E' and though i felt ideally the quality parameter must be the doubt of Author but chose E which is wrong.

Somehow i lost my track because I was trying to figure out what type Q is?
As rightly point out by chetan2u that its a straight forward Question and explained by GMATNinja, had i not gone into initially irrelevancy of trying to know what Q type it is, I must have chosen 'D' instead.
"One more learning"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
@gmatninja's note on (E) " rather, the author objects to whether productivity can be measured by output alone." is perfect in understanding why D is eliminated.

D is a statement that the author objects to because in D states that everything else (dumping letters, burning them or not spitting on them while delivering) can be ignored completely in computing the productivity of workers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Understanding the Question Stem

Argument Structure:

General Claim -> Example of a belief -> Author questions that belief.

QS:

"The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which of the following statements?"

"Objection" -> weaken.
"truth" -> Assumption.

So Q is asking what is the assumption (that's commonly believed) is the author trying to weaken (i.e. object to). Btw this is a Method of Reasoning Q!

Hope this helps!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos