Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Correlation between %answers correct and %GMATpercentile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Correlation between %answers correct and %GMATpercentile [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:15
Hi all,

I'm going to ask an easy (And at the same time difficult) question, and I think that those of you who have achieved a 700+ could answer.

When I should feel prepared to crack the GMAT and get a 700+?

I have already done it and got a 680 (Q50 93%, V32 63%).

From my preparation I can say that I almost have 95-100% of the quantitative answers correct, and 75% of the verbal answers, so it seems like the percentile could correlate (obviously is an approximation) with the % of answers correct, taking into account that during D DAY one usually perform a little bit worse than studying at home.

Any thoughts on that?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Correlation between %answers correct and %GMATpercentile [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:48
well my 720 was result of 87/87. i think if you get Q 49 -50 you prob need V37 to get 700. hih

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Correlation between %answers correct and %GMATpercentile [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:51
See here:
gmat-scores-83890.html

and here:

http://www.800score.com/score2.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Scaled Scores and question level??? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 08:21
I feel I should know this but I'll ask it anyway...

For verbal and quant, how are the scaled scores correlated with question level?

For example...

What scaled score for each given section constitutes a 500 level? 600 level? 700 level?

Thanks!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Scaled Scores and question level??? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:14
600orBust wrote:
I feel I should know this but I'll ask it anyway...

For verbal and quant, how are the scaled scores correlated with question level?

For example...

What scaled score for each given section constitutes a 500 level? 600 level? 700 level?

Thanks!

gmat-scores-83890.html

that has some score scaling and info. But the scores is not given per level. the scale is dependent on how often you are at a level. If you are constantly hitting 700s (which means you are getting lots of ques correct) then your score will be scaled high. If you are hitting mostly 500s then it will obviously be lower... I wouldnt worry about something you cant control.... good luck!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scaled Scores and question level??? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:17
I wouldn't worry about that, just keep improving.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Scaled Scores and question level??? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 16:50
Questions having the same answer twice in one day...

correlation-between-answers-correct-and-gmatpercentile-100852.html

Merged.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scaled Scores and question level??? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 02:30
Dawgie wrote:

The problem is when I know that I have improved enough.

For example, for the Quant section, you can tell me how are you performing (number of answers correct) in the different sources, and I can predict your scaled score, because I do know how well you have to be prepared in order to crack it.

However, I cannot do the same analysis for the verbal section, and that is why I am asking for some insight for those of you who have already crack that verbal monster. (For example, the answer I am expecting for you is something like: "until you don't get a 90% of answers correct in LSAT reading passages, in less than 2 mins per question, you are not going to crack the GMAT...". Obviously it depends on each person, but your guidelines are also very valuable).

Do you know what I mean?

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Scaled Scores and question level??? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:17
noboru wrote:
Dawgie wrote:

The problem is when I know that I have improved enough.

For example, for the Quant section, you can tell me how are you performing (number of answers correct) in the different sources, and I can predict your scaled score, because I do know how well you have to be prepared in order to crack it.

However, I cannot do the same analysis for the verbal section, and that is why I am asking for some insight for those of you who have already crack that verbal monster. (For example, the answer I am expecting for you is something like: "until you don't get a 90% of answers correct in LSAT reading passages, in less than 2 mins per question, you are not going to crack the GMAT...". Obviously it depends on each person, but your guidelines are also very valuable).

I got it noboru what you are trying to say.Your case quant is not a problem but that does not mean you leave it totally.Since you know your verbal range,i feel the best thing is along with your practice in these forums,try to analyse the questions why they are wrong or correct.The OG explanations etc provided few are left,say OG 10 if you remember all questions of OG 12.Manhattan Verbal Study companion is a great book for verbal.I would recommend as my SC,CR improved.Regarding RC,i feel without practice,it cannot be improved.May be you can take 2 Rc passages per day from LSAT,OG etc.Night before you go to bed,read articles from nytimes.com,nationalgeographic etc wall street journal.When you read,give both the structure,usage as well as the understanding for RC.I am sure you will improve and would come to know when is the right time to give it a shot and become a member of 700 + :-D
Do you know what I mean?

Thanks.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Correlation between %answers correct and %GMATpercentile [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 09:18
I got it noboru what you are trying to say.Your case quant is not a problem but that does not mean you leave it totally.Since you know your verbal range,i feel the best thing is along with your practice in these forums,try to analyse the questions why they are wrong or correct.The OG explanations etc provided few are left,say OG 10 if you remember all questions of OG 12.Manhattan Verbal Study companion is a great book for verbal.I would recommend as my SC,CR improved.Regarding RC,i feel without practice,it cannot be improved.May be you can take 2 Rc passages per day from LSAT,OG etc.Night before you go to bed,read articles from nytimes.com,nationalgeographic etc wall street journal.When you read,give both the structure,usage as well as the understanding for RC.I am sure you will improve and would come to know when is the right time to give it a shot and become a member of 700 + :-D
Re: Correlation between %answers correct and %GMATpercentile   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2010, 09:18