Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 14:54
I've been searching, unsuccessfully, for almost a year now to answer this question:

What is the correlation between admissions at one elite program and another. I would think that someone who is admitted to Harvard has much higher chance of being admitted to Wharton than someone who was rejected by Harvard. Not because of any direct association between the decisions, but because the two programs are likely to evaluate the applicant in similar ways, and therefore reach the same conclusions. I'm sure someone must have the data and must have tested them, but I can't find it anywhere.

Has anyone else looked into this?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 20:18
I have no idea if anyone has done that sort of analysis, but what I can say is that I've definitely seen some randomness. For example a friend of mine got into Stanford but rejected from Yale. Another friend of mine got into wharton but rejected from Johnson.

this doesn't prove anything since they're just a couple of examples, but it leads me to believe that the correlation might not be as strong as you might expect
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 20:30
I wonder if Yale and Johnson were just protecting their yield by rejecting applicants they expected to get offers elsewhere. Also, people may take admission to less competitive schools for granted and submit subpar applications.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 21:02
Could be. I thought that too
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
If admission were based solely on GMAT & GPA this would probably be relevant, but as the essay and interview components can vary widely, I don't think it will ever be apples to apples. . .
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 06:57
To give another anecdote, my friend got rejected from Columbia and Wharton, but got into HBS last week.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 08:38
I was originally waitlisted at Duke whereas I got into Sloan, Haas, and Tuck straight away, so the process can certainly be random. But I agree that if someone gets into a school like HBS and puts the same effort into each of their applications, they are probably more likely to have success elsewhere.
Re: Correlation / Covariance in admissions decisions   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2013, 08:38