Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Correlation of Official Guide to GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Correlation of Official Guide to GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 12:57
I worked through the OG (12th Ed.) the last few days, and my scores for each section are as follows:

Problem Solving: 218/230, 95%
Sentence Correction: 132/140, 94%
Reading Comp: 131/139, 94%
Critical Reasoning: 110/124, 89%
Data Sufficiency: 148/174, 85%

Question 1: Are all the sections in the OG weighted equally on the test? Or are certain sections of the OG (like DS) composed of questions that are deliberately harder?

Question 2: How well do scores on these sections of the OG compare with peoples real GMAT scores?

Thanks for your help! :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 88

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Correlation of Official Guide to GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 22:45
Hi and welcome to GMAT Club! Congratulations on your first post!

You look like you already figured out the Official Guide problems. The scores are really good!

Here are 2 cents. It turns out that general thoughts might not always prove right in individual cases. You have to decide for yourself what is better for you, but here's what I think. There are the two possible answers. One might believe that only OG problems will take her/him to getting the desired score. Others will say OG problems are not good enough for that. It's been posted a couple of times on the forums that nailing Official Guide problems is not enough to get you a 700+ score. I've dug up some of the links you might find useful:

theoretical-scoring-ceiling-of-the-official-guide-80830.html
top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html

You can see the OG 12 review in the second link. It seems to me that more people here at GMAT Club prefer to get the feel of Math practice questions taken from other sources than the OG. Things are more complicated with Verbal questions as these are harder to develop.

Did you take GMAT prep yet? It is believed to be the best GMAT predictor out there. Use it wisely though as it has only 2 tests. Here's a link to the GMAT practce CATs:
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Hope I answered your Question 1 :). I don't think I know how to answer Q2 though. GMAT gurus out there, what do you think?

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Correlation of Official Guide to GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 12:49
for question 2, you shouldn't be taking scores from the OG or any other prep book as any indication of how well or poorly you would do on the GMAT. the best estimator of your score is the GMAT preptest software from mba.com. After that, I think the Manhattan GMAT CAT tests are a decent predictor as well.

The actual GMAT is a computerized test that automatically adjusts in difficulty based on your progress in the test. that's why a paper test or questions from a book are not a good indicator of how you'd fare on d-day.

at this point, i'd recommend you download the gmat preptest software and take the first of 2 full length tests. keep special attention to timing - you should ideally not be taking more than 2 min for any one problem. many people have the knowledge in their heads, but when under the pressure of a tight time constraint, either blank out or make silly mistakes, which in turn lowers their score. if you've been working on the OG problems under tight time constraints, i'd say take the gmat preptest to gauge your score. if you havent been working with any sort of time constraints, i'd look for more practice problems and try to work on them a bit quicker before taking the gmat preptest.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Correlation of Official Guide to GMAT   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2009, 12:49