Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

cost of u.s mba vs. canadian mba

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

cost of u.s mba vs. canadian mba [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 07:23
Hi everyone,

long time reader 3rd time poster.

I was wondering what my fellow canucks and knowledgeable americans, think about the costs of going abroad for an mba. Im from quebec/canada and because our provincial government is pretty stupid(i wont get in to this debate) a mcgill mba would only cost me 4,052 + rent = 12000 per year(thats in canadian dollars too!). If I were to go to an ontario school it would cost me about 33K /year depending on the school. If I were to go to the U.S. id be looking at about 70K(u.s dollars (85K canadian) ) maybe more maybe less per year.

I feel like at a top u.s. school these immense costs would be worth it. But where do you think that it would start to be not worth it? if i go to a trans elite school im doing myself a disservice? will i get the same job opportunities as u.s. citizens would?

my goals are to gain knowledge on m&a and financial analysis and hopefully stay in north east. U.S or Canada doesnt matter to me. career wise id like to get in to the IB job field and i currently work in the financial services industry.

thanks in advance for your replies!
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: cost of u.s mba vs. canadian mba [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 08:51
A few points to consider:

- It really depends on where you want to end up. A top MBA from a Canadian school will get you access to the best jobs in Canada. The same MBA won't get you very far in the US. An MBA from a top US school will get access to the best jobs in both countries.

- The whole immigration thing is a big factor right now. Non-US citizens who don't have green cards have much more limited job opportunities.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: cost of u.s mba vs. canadian mba [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 13:36
thanks for your reply rf.

Realistically I am not the most competitive candidate for a top 7 school. Im hoping to get in to a top 20 school. Do you think that I will still have access to top jobs in the north east from a "transelite" school?

Short term I would like to be anywhere in the north east and stay in the U.S. so that I can pay off the immense costs associated with completing an mba and gain the best experience possible.

Long term Im flexible to wherever would afford me the best opportunities. Im too young to know where I want to be for the rest of my life and have no qualms about returning to Canada or staying in the U.S.

Thanks again for your input,
millhouse

refurb wrote:
A few points to consider:

- It really depends on where you want to end up. A top MBA from a Canadian school will get you access to the best jobs in Canada. The same MBA won't get you very far in the US. An MBA from a top US school will get access to the best jobs in both countries.

- The whole immigration thing is a big factor right now. Non-US citizens who don't have green cards have much more limited job opportunities.

RF
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: cost of u.s mba vs. canadian mba [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 13:05
millhouse wrote:
thanks for your reply rf.

Realistically I am not the most competitive candidate for a top 7 school. Im hoping to get in to a top 20 school. Do you think that I will still have access to top jobs in the north east from a "transelite" school?

In general, the difference between a top 20 school and a top 7 school is pretty minimal. Obviously there are exceptions for certain industries (IB, PE/VC, etc), but in general, if you're looking for a general management job, you won't be locked out of the best jobs just because you didn't graduate from a top 7.

If you look who recruits at UNC vs. Kellogg for example, you'll see a lot of overlap between the companies. Of course there may be fewer spots at UNC and some of the very top companies (say McKinsey for MC) might not recruit at UNC, but that won't stop you from landing a good job with good pay.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: cost of u.s mba vs. canadian mba   [#permalink] 06 May 2009, 13:05