Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 05:45
Just back from the exam. I could whine all day about how I could have performed better in Quant, but it is what it is and I am ready to move on. My nerves got the better of me in quant today. I have scored 49's and 50's in all my practice tests.

Short debrief for all you wonderful folks......

I really cudn't sleep the previous night despite going to bed at 8 p.m. To add to my misery, I caught a bad cough on Tue. I just cudn't recover in time. I was coughing a lot in the first part of the exam but in general, I was able to keep my focus.

AWA

In my opinion,this section is a waste of time. It only tests you on endurance closer to the end of the exam. It went fairly well. I had a template in mind and cut it from my brain and pasted it on the screen. I replaced all the blah blah blahs with important points.
If you consider your english vocabulary to be reasonable and can write a few lines on any general topic thrown at you, you are good here.
However, Practice a few exams with AWA. It will train you to stay focused during the last 10 questions in verbal.

Quant

Well, as I mentioned I underperformed and my bad cough teamed up with distraction. I really did not have any difficulty solving most questions. I did not see any probability questions and that was probably the clue that I made some careless errors.
There were a number of questions on mean, median ,coordinate geometry ,sequence, abt 5 in geometry.

Verbal

Verbal was good. I think I screwed up in the last RC. I got an RC around Q36 and just didn't have enough time to follow my systematic approach. Moreover, I was trying to get over with the exam so that I could come out and cough with full freedom.

If you are past 3 RC's and you anticipate the last RC at the end of the section, pace yourself well to have some extra time for the last RC.

Well, I am a non-native english speaker and I really worked hard in Verbal. I identified early in my preparation that SC was the way to go. To all the non-natives out there, "SC can be mastered". I will be more specific on the details later. SC was my strength in verbal. My hit ratio on practice was close to 95%. I highly recommend Sondenso's GMATPREP SC document. It has some of the most difficult SC questions you will see on the test.

Practice tests

MGMAT1-5 --> 680-740
GMATPREP1- 690
GMATPREP2- 720
Gmatclub tests - no. of correct (27-32)- I took all 25 tests

Participate in the forum guys. There is a lot to learn from the posts. Most of the questions posted here are pretty challenging and have been posted because one of us couldn't find a way to solve them. For example, look at some of the techniques used by our own quant gurus(Walker, Durgesh, Oski, abhi_sen and others) and try to apply their techniques to different problems. Posts by JallenMorris have several useful detailed explanations in the verbal forum.

Last but not the least, I want to thank all GMATCLUB members who stood by me during my preparation. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! and feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Also,Please let me know how competitive is a 690(80/80 split)?
I am planning to apply to the following schools

INSEAD - Is this a stretch? Will INSEAD even look at a 690?
ISB
OXFORD
CAMBRIDGE
MBS
AGSM
National University of Singapore.

I appreciate your opinions
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 07:12
aaron22197 wrote:
Just back from the exam. I could whine all day about how I could have performed better in Quant, but it is what it is and I am ready to move on. My nerves got the better of me in quant today. I have scored 49's and 50's in all my practice tests.

Short debrief for all you wonderful folks......

I really cudn't sleep the previous night despite going to bed at 8 p.m. To add to my misery, I caught a bad cough on Tue. I just cudn't recover in time. I was coughing a lot in the first part of the exam but in general, I was able to keep my focus.

AWA

In my opinion,this section is a waste of time. It only tests you on endurance closer to the end of the exam. It went fairly well. I had a template in mind and cut it from my brain and pasted it on the screen. I replaced all the blah blah blahs with important points.
If you consider your english vocabulary to be reasonable and can write a few lines on any general topic thrown at you, you are good here.
However, Practice a few exams with AWA. It will train you to stay focused during the last 10 questions in verbal.

Quant

Well, as I mentioned I underperformed and my bad cough teamed up with distraction. I really did not have any difficulty solving most questions. I did not see any probability questions and that was probably the clue that I made some careless errors.
There were a number of questions on mean, median ,coordinate geometry ,sequence, abt 5 in geometry.

Verbal

Verbal was good. I think I screwed up in the last RC. I got an RC around Q36 and just didn't have enough time to follow my systematic approach. Moreover, I was trying to get over with the exam so that I could come out and cough with full freedom.

If you are past 3 RC's and you anticipate the last RC at the end of the section, pace yourself well to have some extra time for the last RC.

Well, I am a non-native english speaker and I really worked hard in Verbal. I identified early in my preparation that SC was the way to go. To all the non-natives out there, "SC can be mastered". I will be more specific on the details later. SC was my strength in verbal. My hit ratio on practice was close to 95%. I highly recommend Sondenso's GMATPREP SC document. It has some of the most difficult SC questions you will see on the test.

Practice tests

MGMAT1-5 --> 680-740
GMATPREP1- 690
GMATPREP2- 720
Gmatclub tests - no. of correct (27-32)- I took all 25 tests

Participate in the forum guys. There is a lot to learn from the posts. Most of the questions posted here are pretty challenging and have been posted because one of us couldn't find a way to solve them. For example, look at some of the techniques used by our own quant gurus(Walker, Durgesh, Oski, abhi_sen and others) and try to apply their techniques to different problems. Posts by JallenMorris have several useful detailed explanations in the verbal forum.

Last but not the least, I want to thank all GMATCLUB members who stood by me during my preparation. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! and feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Also,Please let me know how competitive is a 690(80/80 split)?
I am planning to apply to the following schools

INSEAD - Is this a stretch? Will INSEAD even look at a 690?
ISB
OXFORD
CAMBRIDGE
MBS
AGSM
National University of Singapore.

I appreciate your opinions

Congrats!! 690 is good score. Hmm! you barely missed the 700... I know you are 700+ candidate.

Good luck with you apps.. If you feel you had bad day (because of cough).. you can give another try..
in few weeks.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 09:37
Congratulations! Yeah 690 gives you a mixed feelings as I have scored similarly. If I were you I wouldn't register myself for another test unless I'm willing to put effort to get another 40 points increase
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 11:07
yeah I'm in the same boat as you just got a 700, i think i can do better tho so I plan on taking it again in the near future. how many times do you think it is equitable to take the test?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 11:09
googled INSEAD and the median GMAT for the 2008 class is 700, so I would def apply
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 19:54
Congrats. Your score is good to go for INSEAD. You should go for the school.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 20:08
Congrats .... If you are looking at INSEAD, better start writing essays .. they have a list of 7 (yes ... seven ) :wink:
all the best
Current Student
Schools: IESE

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 20:21
Congrats!
btw, does it still 80/80 split? My 47 in math is 78% or 79%.

690 is enought for INSEAD. I think it's enough for any school. (at least, I think so about my 690 :-D )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 21:15
i dont know if I can be that sure if 690-710 will be enough for all schools. Just because school have median gmat=700 does not mean it is that for all the profiles. For instance, it may be lower if you are a woman or someone who is non-white and non-asian. Talk to some consultant to get some ideas!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 17:59
yes i think GMAT is more of a qualifier they look at with apps. they consider your other achievements and undergrad grades, and GMAT is more of a reminder of who should be in the pool and who should be cut right off. they use the GMAT just to gauge aptitude, or at least that's the gist I got from reading university websites. If you're within the middle 50% (you'd be like 35th percentile in accepted applicants), that means you most probably wont be cut simply due to your GMAT. GMAT alone wont get you in tho, def nail your essays and interviews and I don't think you'll have nothing to worry about, as long as your GPA was good in undergrad and all.
Re: Coughed my way to 690(Q47 V38)   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2008, 17:59