Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Nov 2015, 23:54
GMAT Club Tests

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could 600 really be the best I can do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Could 600 really be the best I can do? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 16:44
I have been prepping for about 2 weeks and took my first Kaplan CAT today. I scored a 600. I am pretty unhappy with it, I didn't expect super high, but I was hoping for around 650. I took a real GMAT almost 5 years ago and scored a 600. The 600 I got a few years ago was taken cold, no prep, so I expected to get a little higher on the practice exam. My prep has been completing the Kaplan Premier book.

On the real test I took I scored 88% verbal and something in in the 20's on Quant. I did improve my Quant dramatically on my practice CAT today, I scored 42%, the problem is my verbal dropped a little down to 81%. The other interesting stat is I missed the last 8 on Quant - which I assume means I was going to get a dramatically better score before that point. I was a little short on time for those 8, but I also had no idea where to start on any of them.

My study plan is to spend the next 2 weeks doing Kaplan Verbal and Math Workbooks, then do Manhattan's GMAT course, supplemented with Powerscore and Veritas material I have purchased. I then plan to have about a month after the end of the course to focus on areas I am still having trouble with and even get private tutoring if I need to. I don't plan to take the test until May, but I can only study about 1-2 hours on weekdays and about 12 hours total on the weekends. I would like to be able to dedicate more than that, but I have a pretty high hours job, including working most Saturdays. I can see other people have managed more study hours while working a lot, but I think this is the best I can do at least starting off.

Do I sound like someone who can get their score up, or might I just be a 600 GMAT person? I would like to get near 700. Breaking 700 isn't 100% necessary for my goals. Obviously, any answer is just a guess.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 796 [0], given: 114

Re: Could 600 really be the best I can do? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 17:39
You absolutely can reach 700+. The great news here is that your verbal is already high, and that quant is the easiest of the two to learn. Learning the verbal section can be extremely challenging.

Now that you know your Quant is where the most improvement is needed, I would recommend supplementing your Kaplan with the quant Manhattan GMAT guides. There are 5 of them, and they will help to take your score the next level. Coupled with the Kaplan, this will really help! Since your Quant score is low, I would also recommend that you work very hard on the basics, and learning the fundementals before you start building into more challenging concepts.

If it makes you feel any better, my first Kaplan Diagnostic was a 570, and after 7 Kaplan CAT tests (With slow improvement) and 9 weeks of studying I finally scored a 710 on test day.

You can do this too. Don't lose your motivation.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 2.93
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 29

Re: Could 600 really be the best I can do? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 01:18
And let me add that I experienced Kaplan to be harder than the real deal.

If you are not likely to be nervous on test day and perform well even now the close 700 should be possible.

As mentioned good thing verbal is up - makes it a lot easier.

Focus on the few weak spots that are left (error log) and you'll get your score up.

Good luck!

btw: do you have a test date already? remember to schedule before june, so you dont have to get used to the new section!

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Re: Could 600 really be the best I can do?   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2012, 01:18