Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could really use some advice/help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Could really use some advice/help [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 17:30
Hello Clubbers,

First, a little background: I currently work and live in China but I'm originally from Texas. My fiance and I are going back home in July to get married and she will for sure be staying home (she found a great teaching job right back in our old neighborhood). I'm seriously considering making the move back home with her. I have spent about 90% of the past 5-6 years overseas and I know post-MBA we won't be heading back to our hometown so it would be great to spend some time home with friends/family before heading off to B-school and then who knows where afterwards.

My question is this: How much of a negative impact will me leaving my job just a few months before applying have on my chances? I'm definitely looking for jobs back home and I definitely will NOT be applying while unemployed. I just may not find a "promotion" type of job.

Be brutally honest with me on how you think Adcoms will look at this move. There is a "last resort" option where we go home, get married, then my wife stays home while I continue working with my company in China until I've submitted all my applications (Dec/Jan time frame).

I'm all ears and I'm genuinely seeking some advice from those who have already been through this MBA application process. As an fyi, I'm looking at Kellogg, Tuck, and Duke and will be adding some safer schools on that list as I do more research on programs. Thanks!!!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could really use some advice/help [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 17:35
As long as you aren't unemployed for long I say go for it. Adcoms understand that people make career decisions based on more than just what job is the most prestigious or pays the most.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could really use some advice/help [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 06:27
I second bherronp. The adcoms don't expect you to not change jobs at all during the next 6 months. If you change jobs and have a good reason, weave it into the essay somehow (talk about how you found your job in the US and how that will help you achieve your career goals even more). Just make sure you're not unemployed if you come back to the US.

We can maybe chat more in person if we get a chance in China. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could really use some advice/help [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 17:28
Thanks Kryzak and Bherronp for the feedback. Hopefully Kryzak we'll have the chance to meet up in China. :)

I'm going to have to get creative on how this move back home fits in with what I value (family, friends, etc.) as well as my future career goals. The truth is however that I have not yet found a job back home and there is no guarantee that it will be a "seamless" move forward regarding my future career plans.

Do you think that I may be justified to address this move back home in the optional essays that some schools allow for? Also, I know my situation might be a bit rare, but have any of you changed jobs/companies in the same year you applied for B-school? I know I have to explain the move and the new job, etc., but how should I address the fact that I'm applying for B-school with hardly any time spent with the new job? Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Could really use some advice/help [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 04:29
raconteur wrote:
Thanks Kryzak and Bherronp for the feedback. Hopefully Kryzak we'll have the chance to meet up in China. :)

I'm going to have to get creative on how this move back home fits in with what I value (family, friends, etc.) as well as my future career goals. The truth is however that I have not yet found a job back home and there is no guarantee that it will be a "seamless" move forward regarding my future career plans.

Do you think that I may be justified to address this move back home in the optional essays that some schools allow for? Also, I know my situation might be a bit rare, but have any of you changed jobs/companies in the same year you applied for B-school? I know I have to explain the move and the new job, etc., but how should I address the fact that I'm applying for B-school with hardly any time spent with the new job? Thanks!

Don't worry. Changing jobs due to the fact that your wife has an opportunity is not a big deal. Just explain it in your essay. That said, you'll want to address the fact that you are prepared to enroll in a program outside that of wherever it is you are settling. If I were in your shoes, here's how I'd spin it:

Leaving my old job was a tough decision because I was (on the fast track)|(gaining leadership experience)|(etc).. However, much as my wife is prepared to make the sacrifice to allow me to attend X for my career goals, I understood her career aspirations. Thus, as she had an excellent opportunity back in Y, I chose to make a sacrifice for her and move to city Y. Although this has required that I adjust into a new role quickly, and I appreciate that my tenure at this new firm will likely only be about a year prior to matriculation, I have positioned myself in this role to address the key weaknesses in my background: (pick two) and prepare myself to the fullest extent possible for a successful MBA education from X....

Although my situation was not identical, I made the decision to quit my job in Feb and took a new job about a month later... - so I had less than a year at a given job .. feel fre to PM me if you want to chat sometime.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could really use some advice/help [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 21:18
Awesome! Thanks Rhyme and I'll be sending you a PM here shortly.

It's funny that, up to now, I haven't really considered including my fiance's career aspirations into the essay mix but you are absolutely right that this is a great opportunity for her. I know these schools are more concerned about "me me me" stuff but w/o her support, I wouldn't have been able to really pursue my current job over here in China.

I'd love to hear what others may think or from those who have switched jobs during the same year that they applied to B-school.
Re: Could really use some advice/help   [#permalink] 27 May 2008, 21:18