Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could use some opinions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Could use some opinions [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 12:13
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some advice/feedback on whether a masters program might be beneficial for me before entering an MBA program...

GMAT: 610
Undergrad: 2.8; Finance Major from state school
WE: 3 years in Investment Management (Operations, Client Service)
1 Year in Insurance (Product Management)
Extra Circ:
College/SAT Prep Advisor to underprivileged minorities
6 month volunteer assignment abroad
currently, working on an economic development project with a law school director

Intended Post MBA career: International Development

So, as you can see my stats are low. I'm not looking to go to a top 10 program however, if I'm going to go FT and pay for myself, I'd like to go to a top 30ish program. I left my job about 8 months ago to take the volunteer assignment with plans of applying for fall 09 admission. I applied but I'm fairly certain I won't be attending bschool this yr, especially when the competition is so tough. So, with this job market, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

My plan, in the probable case I don't get in this year, is to up my GMAT score to the 650 range (fannfriggintastticc) as well as enroll in a masters program in Global Development Economics to sure up my shaky undergrad. I am thinking about this route since the job market is horrendous right now and instead of taking a so-so job for just a year (if I can even get that!) and then apply to schools again next year, I may as well do a one yr masters program in a field that I would like to work in post MBA. The program is a top 10 econ program, not sure if that means anything to a bschool.

If I get my GMAT into the 650 range and receive a strong graduate GPA, I would hope that would make me competitive for a solid program.

Any thoughts...?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Could use some opinions [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 00:30
I think given your GPA, a 650+ GMAT is a must. Your volunteer work abroad and development project should only help validate your career aspirations. One question I have is in what way will earning an MBA help you reach your goals that your master's degree will not?

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Re: Could use some opinions   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2009, 00:30