Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 09:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could you assess my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Could you assess my chances? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 08:43
deleted

Last edited by INSEAD1979 on 22 Jun 2006, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you assess my chances? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2006, 08:50
Expert's post
INSEAD1979 wrote:
Hi Paul,

I will try to give as much detail as possible,hope you dont mind.

26.5 years old Male, Turkish

B.A in Business Administration from a top(best) university in Turkey, GPA. 3.55,studied at McGill Uni. for one term as an exchange student,SPA 3.9

Master of Marketing from a top Australian university,GPA:3.75. (with full scholarship) . I am currently doing my master while working full time. I will finish it this July.

Worked in Middle East for the biggest distributor of a major(soon to be the biggest) car company as a product manager for 1.5 years. (This company owns distributorship rights of the car brand in many countries in Middle East and Africa,has very close ties with the parent corporation in Japan and is one the biggest companies in ME) As a product manager,I handled product portfolios with millions of dollars of turnover and was considered very successful at it.

Thanks to my high performance, I was selected by the senior management of the Middle Eastern company as an ICT(inter company transfer) to go to Australia and work for the parent company(Australian subsidiary is wholly owned by the Japanese company) for couple of years. I was the first non-arab to be selected for this program. Normally,the program is only for arab nationals.

Since Feb 05, I have been working and studying in Sydney,Australia.
Currently, I am the Integrated Planning(Strategic/ Sales/Order Planning) Manager for Passenger Vehicles at the .. Motor Corporation Australia. I manage a team of two analysts(who are both 3-4 years older than I am) and interact with senior management, production planning people at the factory and planning team at the world headquarters of the company in Japan all the time.

As I said,I was also awarded full scholarship from a top Australian university and am still studying there full time( taking 4 subjects and working full time at the same time,still making sure my GPA is above 3.5).

GMAT

I took Gmat once: 700 , Q: 49 V:36 . I am currently preparing to retake it. Although it is not necessary, I feel I can do more.

Extracurricular
I worked for the management and economics club during undergrad,organizing conferences,collecting funds etc. I am currently planning to give math classes at the uni. for undergrad struggling with math and stats. I play squash and will start fencing classes very soon.

Miscellanous

Fluent in english and french. Rudimentary knowledge of German and Arabic.

During undergrad,I worked full time(8 hours) for 3 years in the Credit Card Operation Center of a major bank in Turkey(night shift),during the last 2 years of that period,I was managing a team of three.

I got admitted to MBA at Ohio State Uni and Illinois Urbana(with $10K scholarship) right after undergrad but decided not to go.

I am married and my wife is here with me.

Target Schools: MIT,Columbia,Harvard,INSEAD,IMD,LBS,HEC

I know I have a good(dont know how good though) chance at HEC,INSEAD and IMD( IMD assessed my chances and encouraged me to apply). I am curious about my chances at US schools.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Middle eastern company I worked for and which still pays half of my salary, is owned by an MIT alumnus and has extremely close ties with MIT(endowments to MIT etc.,MIT profs visit Middle East as honor guests etc.) I am planning to get a rec. letter from MD of International Division, who looks after all countries in Middle East and Africa. He will be happy to say that I am a very important asset for the company , I will be given higher responsibilities post mba and I will be joining the team directing the investments of the International Division.

Do you think I have a chance at MIT especially using this link ? Also,do I have a chance at Harvard if I show the ad com that I have the full support of a major company who will give me leadership role? Your answer to this question is very important for me.

Finally, during my undergrad I worked for one term for the dean of the management faculty at my university in Istanbul. She is a Phd from Columbia and will give me rec. letter for Columbia as well as for others. Kindly consider this as well,when assessing my chances.

Thanks for this wonderful service.

Regards.

Honor

Honor,

You have a shot at MIT because you have a distinctive profile: Turkey, Australia, Japan, etc. I think HBS and Columbia would be stretches for you because your extracurriculars don't seem to be at the same level as your professional accomplishments. I think you have a decent to good chance at the other schools you mentioned. I recommend emphasizing the cross-cultural insights your international experiences have given you as well as your Turkish heritage.

As for the reco letters, the connections your recommenders have probably won't help you as much as you seem to think they will, especially if they haven't worked regularly with you or send in a generic-sounding letter with few examples. Ideally, you want direct supervisors who know you well and will be specific and enthusiastic.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Extracurricular [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 02:31
Dear Paul,

Thx a lot for the answer. Here is what I think.

As you said, I should be able to get into INSEAD( I am also planning to visit its Singapore campus),IMD(though I am a bit younger than average MBA),HEC Paris(if I increase my Gmat to 730-740,probably with scholarship). LBS(blackbox).

I also agree that Harvard is a bit difficult. I still think I have a very good chance at Columbia bec. many Turkish students especially from my uni. got into Columbia in the past,the quality of our uni. is known by ad com. I will also apply during Early Decision and deposit 5K if accepted. I also attended corporate executive training given by CBS teachers in Dubai,I was amazed by the teachers(this I can use in my essays).

More important,since I am aware of my lack of extracurricular, I am taking some actions. Though I am extremely overloaded,studying and working fulltime, I will ,if approved by uni., start giving math lectures to undergraduates at the university where I am doing my master. This is one activity, I will engage myself in another one real soon.

I would not be terribly upset if I dont get into Harvard but it is important that I get into Columbia. Do you think these new initiatives of my mine will increase my chances? Do you have any advice?

Thx a lot.

Honor
Intern
Intern

Recos. [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 02:39
N/A

Last edited by INSEAD1979 on 22 Jun 2006, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User
Re: Extracurricular [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2006, 17:27
Expert's post
INSEAD1979 wrote:
Dear Paul,

Thx a lot for the answer. Here is what I think.

As you said, I should be able to get into INSEAD( I am also planning to visit its Singapore campus),IMD(though I am a bit younger than average MBA),HEC Paris(if I increase my Gmat to 730-740,probably with scholarship). LBS(blackbox).

I also agree that Harvard is a bit difficult. I still think I have a very good chance at Columbia bec. many Turkish students especially from my uni. got into Columbia in the past,the quality of our uni. is known by ad com. I will also apply during Early Decision and deposit 5K if accepted. I also attended corporate executive training given by CBS teachers in Dubai,I was amazed by the teachers(this I can use in my essays).

More important,since I am aware of my lack of extracurricular, I am taking some actions. Though I am extremely overloaded,studying and working fulltime, I will ,if approved by uni., start giving math lectures to undergraduates at the university where I am doing my master. This is one activity, I will engage myself in another one real soon.

I would not be terribly upset if I dont get into Harvard but it is important that I get into Columbia. Do you think these new initiatives of my mine will increase my chances? Do you have any advice?

Thx a lot.

Honor

Insead1979,

I agree that applying Early Decision at CBS and mentioning the corporate executive training in Dubai will strengthen your chances at CBS. As for the math lectures at your university, it will definitely count in your favor as extracurricular experience, but teaching / tutoring is a fairly common form of community involvement in B-school applications so I don't think it will help you stand out very much. As for CBS knowing the quality of your school, all the top schools have people who are familiar with the quality of schools internationally. CBS's track record in admitting alumni from your school is definite proof that they have been open to your profile in the past.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog