Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could you please evaluate my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Could you please evaluate my chances? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2006, 09:01
Hi,

I will try to give as much detail as possible,hope you dont mind.

26.5 years old Male, Turkish

B.A in Business Administration from a top(best) university in Turkey, GPA. 3.55,studied at McGill Uni. for one term as an exchange student,SPA 3.9

Master of Marketing from a top Australian university,GPA:3.75. (with full scholarship) . I am currently doing my master while working full time. I will finish it this July.

Worked in Middle East for the biggest distributor of a major(soon to be the biggest) car company as a product manager for 1.5 years. (This company owns distributorship rights of the car brand in many countries in Middle East and Africa,has very close ties with the parent corporation in Japan and is one the biggest companies in ME) As a product manager,I handled product portfolios with millions of dollars of turnover and was considered very successful at it.

Thanks to my high performance, I was selected by the senior management of the Middle Eastern company as an ICT(inter company transfer) to go to Australia and work for the parent company(Australian subsidiary is wholly owned by the Japanese company) for couple of years. I was the first non-arab to be selected for this program. Normally,the program is only for arab nationals.

Since Feb 05, I have been working and studying in Sydney,Australia.
Currently, I am the Integrated Planning(Strategic/ Sales/Order Planning) Manager for Passenger Vehicles at the .. Motor Corporation Australia. I manage a team of two analysts(who are both 3-4 years older than I am) and interact with senior management, production planning people at the factory and planning team at the world headquarters of the company in Japan all the time.

As I said,I was also awarded full scholarship from a top Australian university and am still studying there full time( taking 4 subjects and working full time at the same time,still making sure my GPA is above 3.5).

GMAT

I took Gmat once: 700 , Q: 49 V:36 . I am currently preparing to retake it. Although it is not necessary, I feel I can do more.

Extracurricular
I worked for the management and economics club during undergrad,organizing conferences,collecting funds etc. I am currently planning to give math classes at the uni. for undergrad struggling with math and stats. I play squash and will start fencing classes very soon.

Miscellanous

Fluent in english and french. Rudimentary knowledge of German and Arabic.

During undergrad,I worked full time(8 hours) for 3 years in the Credit Card Operation Center of a major bank in Turkey(night shift),during the last 2 years of that period,I was managing a team of three.

I got admitted to MBA at Ohio State Uni and Illinois Urbana(with $10K scholarship) right after undergrad but decided not to go.

I am married and my wife is here with me.

Target Schools: MIT,Columbia,Harvard,INSEAD,IMD,LBS,HEC

I know I have a good(dont know how good though) chance at HEC,INSEAD and IMD( IMD assessed my chances and encouraged me to apply). I am curious about my chances at US schools.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Middle eastern company I worked for and which still pays half of my salary, is owned by an MIT alumnus and has extremely close ties with MIT(endowments to MIT etc.,MIT profs visit Middle East as honor guests etc.) I am planning to get a rec. letter from MD of International Division, who looks after all countries in Middle East and Africa. He will be happy to say that I am a very important asset for the company , I will be given higher responsibilities post mba and I will be joining the team directing the investments of the International Division.

Do you think I have a chance at MIT especially using this link ? Also,do I have a chance at Harvard if I show the ad com that I have the full support of a major company who will give me leadership role? Your answer to this question is very important for me.

Finally, during my undergrad I worked for one term for the dean of the management faculty at my university in Istanbul. She is a Phd from Columbia and will give me rec. letter for Columbia as well as for others. Kindly consider this as well,when assessing my chances.

Thanks for this wonderful service.

Regards.

Honor

p.s: Please assume that I will show why I need an mba and how it will help my career and self development in my essays and in the interviews.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2006, 17:08
Expert's post
> p.s: Please assume that I will show why I need an mba and how it will
> help my career and self development in my essays and in the
> interviews.

Honestly, this is the most important thing for you. This is more important than increasing your GMAT score or getting a letter from someone who is connected to your target schools. So, take this very seriously.

Re: the GMAT, I don't think you should bother taking it again. A 700 is good enough get you in anywhere. I think your time & effort would be better spent on bolstering other parts of your application.

Re: your connections to these schools, I don't think they'll actually help you that much. Adcomms are more interested in hearing from people who know you very well and can give SPECIFIC examples of why you're great at what you do.

I do think that your work experience is terrific. Definitely emphasize your increasing responsibility over time and the recognitions that you have received. And your international experience is great. But I think your extracurricular experiences seem weaker. I'd recommend working on that over the next year more than taking the GMAT again. (But if you join a new extracurricular activity, do something you truly care about!) Harvard will be more interested in examples of how you've made a difference in your community than in seeing you boost your GMAT by 20 points.

Overall, I think you have a good chance of getting into at least one of your target schools, but don't rely on your MIT and Columbia connections too much. They probably won't help all that much.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Thx [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 03:04
Many thx for your reply. I agree with you almost on everything you say.

GMAT: When I got 700, I had the worst exam experience in my life==> I am not spending a huge amount of time to study. (also it is necessary for the scholarship I will apply , a more recent GMAT score needed)

Essays: I am a good writer and I know why I want to do an mba now==>I will have very unique essays for sure. My essays got me into ohio without any postgrad work experience(ohio was in top 30 that year).

Connections: I agree that generic recs. would hurt my chances if anything else,but the senior guy is my mentor and he knows everything I did(maybe not daily but in big picture terms),he is one of the board of members who selected me for this ICT program. Also, some examples I have in front of me tells me that connections = final push for your admission if you already very qualified. But I will definitely avoid generic recs. Do you think a rec from a subordinate or peer can also be effective( I can get great recs from my team members)

Extracurricular: I worked 8 hours a day for 3 years[b] during undergrad, now doing master with scholarship and working full time. I am only 26.5. I will try to show these to ad coms and say that I had my reasons for not being overly active outside work and study.[/b] Yet, in line with your advice, I am gonna start lecturing undergrads in math ==> This is also something that I have interest in, teaching and helping other perform better in their work or study. I am thinking of other areas I can get involved. I will also maybe get involved with the foundation of my company in Australia. The company is known for its social responsibility and environmental sensitivity. We will se how it goes.

With regard to CBS, I am planning to apply in Early Decision period and will deposit 5K if admitted,I think that will also increase my chances a little bit.

Any more comments on the boldfaced sections?

Thx for the insightful advices.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 15:08
Expert's post
Re: the GMAT, what if you take it again and do worse than 700? Are you prepared to take that risk? I think it show adcomms that your priorities are misplaced if you take it again after getting a 700.

A reco from a peer can help a lot, more than a reco from someone who is supposedly "connected" to the school. A reco from a subordinate can help, but I would place less emphasis on that one.

Re: community service and working, be careful to avoid sounding like you are simply making excuses. Plus, that was a long time ago in undergrad. Adcomms are more interested in what you've done more recently than what you did five years ago.

Showing your commitment to Columbia should help some.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Thanks again [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2006, 00:17
Thx again.

Maybe i didnt mention,I have to take Gmat to be able to apply for some mba scholarships anyway. All I can say I hope I dont get lower:)

I will follow your advice on recs.

Undergrad is in the past that is true.But I still study full time to get my Master of Marketing degree(4 subjects a term mandatory bec.I hold a scholarship) and work full time. Nevertheless,as you said, I dont think ad com would care about this:)

Great service you provide here,thanks a lot.

Regards,

Honor