Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could you please evaluate my profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 06:18
Hello Scott,

I am preparing to apply for MAB from U of M. My interest is in International business. My profile is as follows and I will greatly appreciate if you could give me your suggestions to help in my preparation.

GMAT score - Will appear for the exam shortly. Target score is at least 720.
Undergrad GPA - between 3.6/4.0 and 3.7/4.0
Work experience - 7 years as a software developer, 1 year as a project manager.
Community work - None
Target University - U of M Ann-Arbor
Type of MBA - Part time
Planning to start MBA from fall 2006

Also if it is not too much to ask for, could you please let me know the differences between U of M Ann-Arbor MBA program and U of M Dearborn in terms of the program ranking, possible job opportunity scope after graduation and type of companies approach for campus interviews.

Thanks for all your help

Thanks

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2005, 14:49
Expert's post
Sorry, but I don't think I have enough to go on. Have you had a leadership experiences at work? When you were project manager, did you have a team reporting to you? Why do you want an MBA? To switch jobs, or to go further in your current company?

Ross (Ann Arbor) is univerally regarded as a top 10 school. I don't know much about Dearborn, unfortunately...

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 06:05
quixx23 wrote:
Sorry, but I don't think I have enough to go on. Have you had a leadership experiences at work? When you were project manager, did you have a team reporting to you? Why do you want an MBA? To switch jobs, or to go further in your current company?

Ross (Ann Arbor) is univerally regarded as a top 10 school. I don't know much about Dearborn, unfortunately...

Scott

Hello Scott,

Thanks for your reply and I am sorry for posting insufficient information about my profile. Any ways here are the answers to your questions.

Leadership experience at work as a project manager:
Yes I do have a leadership experience at work. As a project manager I am looking after high demanding multiple IT projects at the same time. From these one of the projects that I am handling is the most important project for my company to survive in this competitive environment. I am managing two teams at the moment. My one team is working with me locally and the other overseas. Both the teams report directly to me. As a project manager I also have to communicate with my management and my customers.

Reasons why I want to do MBA:
1) To build a network with people from related and similar fields that can help me advance my career.
2) To have better job prospects outside my current company
3) To have better understanding and expertise to handle multi-national projects.

I hope this will provide sufficient information for your candid comments/advice on my profile and my chances to U of M MBA program.

Thanks

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 11:11
Expert's post
I think you could have a pretty good chance. Those leadership experiences will be key for you as you try to position yourself as a budding leader who just needs some formal business training before he can take "the next step" his his career.

You sound ideally suited to a part-time program, assuming that you're willing to stick with your current company for a while (part-time MBA people tend to stick with their companies, esp. when their companies pay for the MBA). If you want your company to pay for you but you want to switch jobs, then make sure you understand how the mechanics of all of that will work.

Probably the biggest weakness in your profile is your lack of community involvement. Not having any can make you sound "one-dimensional." Try to emphasize your leadership experience at work. This will help some, but beware that this may be the big weakness that adcomms will see in your application.

I strongly recommend the Ann Arbor program over the Dearborn one. Good luck!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 11:39
Scott,

Thank you very much for your candid analysis of my profile. Answers to some of the questions that you have raised in your reply.

Part-time MBA: Yes, I am planning to do MBA part-time. And no my current company will not sponser me for MBA.

Community service: Once again thanks for pointing out that lack of community service is the most negative point in my profile. Can you give me a suggestion on whether I can do any thing to offset this negative point, may be by aiming for higher GMAT score etc. As I am planning to apply for Fall 2006 will it help if enroll myself in some community service now?

I will appreciate if you could answer my questions.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks

Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 11:55
Expert's post
No, a higer GMAT won't help you in terms of overcoming a lack of community service. What the adcomms are looking for are leadership, initiative, and a desire to make a difference in the world around you. A higher GMAT score obviously doesn't help with those things!

Yes, getting involved now can help. But, I encourage you to actually take on some sort of leadership role, rather than merely participating in something like Habitat for Humanity. Take charge of something and make a difference... This is what they're looking for.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews