Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Could you please evaluate my profile?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 02:51
Hi Paul,

First of all, congrats on all the great tips!! I just went through your comments on other users' profiles and found them very useful. I would really appreciate it if you could you evaluate my profile too...

Nationality: French
GMAT: 620 (M:40; V: 35; AWA: 5) but taking it again in a month (can realistically get 680, but hoping for more :wink: )

EDUCATION:

Undergrad: McGill University (Top 10 in Canada)
BA Double Major (1) Economics (2) International Development Studies
GPA: 2.81 :oops: (upward trend) and 3.6 my last year

Grad School:
King's College (top 20 UK)
MA Environment and Development
Obtained with Merits

CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting obtained in 2004

WORK EXPERIENCE:

8 months as an Accounts Manager for Accor in London: exceeded my sales target.
3 years in Corporate Finance for DuPont Spain (promoted once and systematically received highest marks). Leadership experience in several projects but not in my day-to-day.
1 year in Corporate Finance at GE France: in charge of developing and maintaining a controllership infrastructure and model across over 100 sites internationally
2 years in Private Equity: one assistant and one accountant below me; completely autonomous, dealing with investors, banks, etc, and responsible for managing 7 funds (300 million Euros)

EC
Lead singer in a band
Spanish lessons
Painting
Part of the Ski Club at McGill and still ski every winter
Active member of EarthSave (environmental group) at McGill: some leadership experience but was a long time ago

Languages:
French, English, Spanish

International experience:
Grew up in Brasil and in the US; studied in Canada and then did my MA in the UK; did summer interships in Syria and in Germany; worked in Spain for 3 years and now live in Paris.

What I want to do after the MBA: remain in Private Equity and eventually start an ethical fund investing in green technologies in the Third World

Weaknesses:
I guess my main weaknesses are my low GPA, lack of recent EC, and old age :(

Schools I want to go to:
INSEAD
Columbia
IMD

Do you think my profile would interest these schools? Please be honest...

I would of course love to try HBS and Wharton but really doubt I stand a chance there... is it worth a shot?

I can still postpone the GMAT in order to ensure a 700+ score.

Which other schools would you recommend as "safety schools"?

Thanks a million and have a great day!!

Virflo
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 08:30
Expert's post
Virflo,

Apologies for the delayed reply. You have a very interesting profile, which should help you stand out from the pack. That fact, plus your gender, mitigate your GMAT score, but you will still need a 680 or higher to get into the schools you mentioned, especially given your undergrad GPA. I don't see your age as a real negative, especially at the European schools. I don't think HBS is realistic, but if you can crack the 80th percentile threshold in both Q and V on the GMAT you could apply to Wharton as a longshot. You might also target NYU Stern, Rochester (Simon), Toronto (Rotman), and UCLA.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 09:02
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my profile. I completely agree with you, which is why I am taking the gmat again. Hopefully I can score 700+ and increase my chances of being accepted at one of these schools.

Thanks again! You are doing a great job!

Regards,

Virflo
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 14:25
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 05:23
Hi Paul,

Sorry to bother you again... I just scored 730 on the GMAT (Q:46, 79th percentile and V:44, 97th percentile), do you think HBS is still out of my league? How about Wharton? Does this score outweigh my low GPA?

Thanks a lot for your feedback again. Is there anything I can do to thank you?

Best regards,

Virflo
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Virflo,

Congratulations on the great score. You have a distinctive profile so you could now apply to HBS and Wharton as reach schools. Your GMAT will probably carry more weight than your GPA, but regarding the latter you can remind them that your GPA trend was upward, you went to a rigorous school, and you carried a double major. I doubt they'll have any concerns about your ability to handle their programs.

What can you do to thank me? Well, if you want help with your apps you could sign up with Accepted.com and request me as your consultant. :-)

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 06:14
Thanks a lot Paul!! I am going to accepted.com right now!!! :-D
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Could you please evaluate my profile? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2008, 15:15
Expert's post