Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

could you please review my profile? thanks:)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

could you please review my profile? thanks:) [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 05:40
i know hbs 2+2 is highly competitive, but i want to give a shot!!
international student from China
major: film@ media studies major with business minor
attends a semi-target school
gpa:3.88/4
took GMAT once, 710
study abroad in Oxford for one year
unique career vision: sports industry
multiple intern experience related to my perspective career
mediocre extracurricular: founder of a new society in oxford, studio manager for school's tv station, committee member for various clubs.
working together with friends on a new ngo as well as a student newspaper
made a 40-min film in high school, won several awards.

recommendations: one from a supervisor during my intern, the other my college instructor, both not prestigious but know me very well.

what might be my chance? thanks for help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: could you please review my profile? thanks:) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 01:02
Expert's post
Hi wanzuo333:

The one thing that the Harvard 2+2 program wants to see from its younger applicants is a history of leadership. This history of leadership pretty much looks to begin the moment you step through the door at your undergraduate University. They want to see this in class with projects and teams. They want to see this out of class with your extracurricular and philanthropic activities. Above all, they will believe that these are significant leadership experiences when you detail both the impact on your constituents as well as how well you internalized what you learned from these experiences. That is, can you get things done and you know what motivates you to get them done.

When I reviewed your profile, I did not see any one thing that stood out as being particularly unique. Yes, you do have some very good undergraduate experiences studying abroad, maintaining a high GPA and holding down a few internships. However, this is the minimum you should be doing if you want to get into the Harvard 2+2 program. The one thing I caught was the fact that you called your undergraduate extracurricular activities as "mediocre." I need a little more background on that, but I will take you at your word. If indeed your undergraduate extracurricular experiences are "mediocre", then you are missing out on your chance to demonstrate that critical leadership dimension. But really, I question your premise -- that your experiences are so so. I think there is probably more there than you believe. In my years of doing this, I have learned that those who are perhaps the most qualified tend to underestimate their contributions and prior experiences. Do not be that person. You have to be your own biggest fan throughout this whole process.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: could you please review my profile? thanks:) [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 02:29
Dear Mr.Lanzillotti,
Thanks very much for your comment. it is really accurate and constructive, and I will definitely follow your advice. indeed by saying mediocre, i was a bit unconfident about my ECs, although I do have a lot to talk about. I will work on the leadership part more in my application.