Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Countdown to G-DAY - Today's go time!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 9 Days [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 13:04
Actually, I took last 15 days off of work and school so I can focus. Because I am losing quite a bit of money while not working, I am forced to bust my behind studying ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 9 Days [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 13:25
Oh ok. Im working full-time up until the day before the test, as i used all my vacation days for the year (brilliant move on my part) and studying in the evenings after work, just hope it works out for me.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [1] , given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 9 Days [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 17:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Oh ok. Im working full-time up until the day before the test, as i used all my vacation days for the year (brilliant move on my part) and studying in the evenings after work, just hope it works out for me.

I'm sure it will. If you have a security of your work to fall back to, that certainly alleviates the pressure of having to score well on GMAT... I, on the other hand, am under all the pressure there is: if I don't get 700, chances of getting a PhD fellowships are slim and my future becomes uncertain since my visa expires soon. 8-) It's all good though, you live only once, so no pressure!
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 9 Days [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 05:28
MisterEko wrote:
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Oh ok. Im working full-time up until the day before the test, as i used all my vacation days for the year (brilliant move on my part) and studying in the evenings after work, just hope it works out for me.

I'm sure it will. If you have a security of your work to fall back to, that certainly alleviates the pressure of having to score well on GMAT... I, on the other hand, am under all the pressure there is: if I don't get 700, chances of getting a PhD fellowships are slim and my future becomes uncertain since my visa expires soon. 8-) It's all good though, you live only once, so no pressure!


Thanks.

Well you are right I do have my job and not much external pressure, just personal ambition/motivation to "move on" and pursue a new challenge. I do have a low UG GPA and figure i need to swing in about the 720-40 range as well as an almost airtight application in order to get to the school I want to go to, so there is some pressure, albeit different, for both of us. But that pressure isnt necessarily a bad thing, pressure can bring out the best in us
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 9 Days [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 12:44
Just took GMAT Prep 2, scored 690... Q47, V38. Big surprise here, since I never score below 40 on V. Math seemed easy, hopefully it will be easy on the test as well...
And you're right, pressure can do good things...
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 7 Days [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 18:58
Just finished MGMAT#6 and got a 690 (Q43/V40).

I am pleased with my verbal score, which is right where i want it to be, but very upset with my quant, where i usually score in the 47-49 range, and am shooting for 50 on the real test. I thought i was getting difficult questions on quant and thought i was doing better but i guess not. Also the markers for my laminated pad kept drying up, causing me to pause several times taking me out of my rhythm. Needless to say Im was slightly frustrated with this exam.

I have some tightening up to do in the next 6 days
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 7 Days [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 19:34
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Just finished MGMAT#6 and got a 690 (Q43/V40).

I am pleased with my verbal score, which is right where i want it to be, but very upset with my quant, where i usually score in the 47-49 range, and am shooting for 50 on the real test. I thought i was getting difficult questions on quant and thought i was doing better but i guess not. Also the markers for my laminated pad kept drying up, causing me to pause several times taking me out of my rhythm. Needless to say Im was slightly frustrated with this exam.

I have some tightening up to do in the next 6 days


You'll be fine man. We all know MGMAT quant is tough. Are you doing any of the GMAT club tests? I hear these are killer to get your Q up, and I have been doing 2 a day... They're hard, but had me score 47 in Q on GMAT Prep today, which is my record...
Scored 740 in Prep, q47, v45, with some repeats in V, but not too significant... Keep us posted, we got this!
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 7 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 05:54
Thanks man, and great job on your CAT. I havent done any GMATClub tests yet, I have heard they are very good though, I held out on ordering them because I had been doing well with Quant and focusing on Verbal. Im gonna order them and do some over the weekend to help tighten up on some concepts and clean up my mistakes. Im taking another CAT tomorrow so we'll see how it goes, ill keep you posted.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 177
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 3

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 07:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
have you seen the movie "mission impossible"? the mission wasn t impossible at all!!! good luck anyway!!!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 08:34
supereco87 wrote:
have you seen the movie "mission impossible"? the mission wasn t impossible at all!!! good luck anyway!!!!



Thank man!
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:35
Yeah man, thanks for that.

After going over the test i made A LOT of stupid mistakes in quant. A whole slew of 600-700 questions I shouldve gotten correct. I counted at least 8 that I couldve done in my sleep. Im a little upset with myself because of it but I think im gonna chalk it up to taking the test after a long day of work, and having the dried markers messing me up since I dont usually get test anxiety, and it was a decent score nonetheless. I guess one positive was finding out that almost none of what i got wrong was outside of my capabilities. In any case still gotta knock out quant sets to get rid of those small mistakes and oversights. I still think i pull another 40-50 points out of this test by next week.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:11
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Yeah man, thanks for that.

After going over the test i made A LOT of stupid mistakes in quant. A whole slew of 600-700 questions I shouldve gotten correct. I counted at least 8 that I couldve done in my sleep. Im a little upset with myself because of it but I think im gonna chalk it up to taking the test after a long day of work, and having the dried markers messing me up since I dont usually get test anxiety, and it was a decent score nonetheless. I guess one positive was finding out that almost none of what i got wrong was outside of my capabilities. In any case still gotta knock out quant sets to get rid of those small mistakes and oversights. I still think i pull another 40-50 points out of this test by next week.


I think its doable. If we manage to eliminate carelessness, we will be just fine. Today, I took the 2nd of GMAT Prep V1 and got 750 (q49, V45), with one RC repeated and 1 CR repeated. Also, in Q, I saw 2 repeats. However, I focused really, really hard and managed to make only 3 mistakes on SC, my biggest weakness. Also, q this high can only be due to constant practice of GMAT Club tests. I advise you again, try to take as many as you can, they raise your level of ability tremendously. I am not sure if it is that they teach you much that you don't know or it is that they are so hard that real GMAT test seems like a a joke afterwards. Either way, since you have limited amount of time available, I suggest you do tests m13, m17-24 since these seem to be the hardest.

In other news, I am really not sure what to expect on Thursday. I have been obviously killing GMAT Prep, but am not sure how much of that is because of repeats. I would still be satisfied with 700. 8-)
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:30
You're definitely killing those GMATPreps, great job man.

I agree I need to shift my focus a bit more towards Quant. Thanks again for the advice, Ive ordered and am going to go through those GMATClub quant probs over the weekend. The only way to get rid of these careless mistakes is through constant repetition. I think this will be the easier part for me since its not so much a function of not understanding content. My main concern going in was verbal and i have been making huge progress in that area and am around my target area so id rather be patching up my quant than learning new verbal at this point. In either case I know what i need to improve on and think I can do so with the time left.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 18:34
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
You're definitely killing those GMATPreps, great job man.

I agree I need to shift my focus a bit more towards Quant. Thanks again for the advice, Ive ordered and am going to go through those GMATClub quant probs over the weekend. The only way to get rid of these careless mistakes is through constant repetition. I think this will be the easier part for me since its not so much a function of not understanding content. My main concern going in was verbal and i have been making huge progress in that area and am around my target area so id rather be patching up my quant than learning new verbal at this point. In either case I know what i need to improve on and think I can do so with the time left.



What was your main issue in Verbal?
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 06:12
Quote:
What was your main issue in Verbal?


Honestly at first everything, lol. But i would have to say initially RC was the worst followed by SC. I have since focused on those two more and now SC is my strongest. Doing 40 SCs a day for not even a week helped me drastically. Im getting no more than 2 or 3 hard ones wrong per test and my RC is much better, both surpassing my CR which i now need to bring up to the level of the other 2.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 10:02
That sounds good! My biggest weakness by far is SC and I will be doing 50 of them a day for the next 4 day to get in shape! Thanks for that...
As far as CR goes, some say it helps to read the question first, then the story. I personally find that confusing. I like to read the story, read the question, then try to answer it before looking at the answers. If you're doing really well, answers will be so convoluted that they won't look like anything you expected... ;)
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2010
Posts: 279
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 14:03
MisterEko wrote:
That sounds good! My biggest weakness by far is SC and I will be doing 50 of them a day for the next 4 day to get in shape! Thanks for that...
As far as CR goes, some say it helps to read the question first, then the story. I personally find that confusing. I like to read the story, read the question, then try to answer it before looking at the answers. If you're doing really well, answers will be so convoluted that they won't look like anything you expected... ;)


Yeah man doing those SCs will definitely help, youll start seeing results quickly. I have the same trouble with that approach on CR, with the exception of boldface questions, where you know what it is as soon as you see the bold print. I found diagramming and note taking helps.

Just finished another GMATPrep

700 Q48 V38

Thought i did better but good to see progress. Want to get to 720-40 and dont think Im too far off, but it feels like making that last incremental improvement is the tough part.

Glad my quant went back up to a more respectable range, though i still want to get it to 50 by G-day. Verbal was ok, still need to practice some areas, there were a couple RCs that got me. Still tightening the screws on all of this
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting the beast.
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 182
Schools: Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 36

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 14:07
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
MisterEko wrote:
That sounds good! My biggest weakness by far is SC and I will be doing 50 of them a day for the next 4 day to get in shape! Thanks for that...
As far as CR goes, some say it helps to read the question first, then the story. I personally find that confusing. I like to read the story, read the question, then try to answer it before looking at the answers. If you're doing really well, answers will be so convoluted that they won't look like anything you expected... ;)


Yeah man doing those SCs will definitely help, youll start seeing results quickly. I have the same trouble with that approach on CR, with the exception of boldface questions, where you know what it is as soon as you see the bold print. I found diagramming and note taking helps.

Just finished another GMATPrep

700 Q48 V38

Thought i did better but good to see progress. Want to get to 720-40 and dont think Im too far off, but it feels like making that last incremental improvement is the tough part.

Glad my quant went back up to a more respectable range, though i still want to get it to 50 by G-day. Verbal was ok, still need to practice some areas, there were a couple RCs that got me. Still tightening the screws on all of this



Good job man! Yeah, it seems that if you tighten those few loose screws in Q and V, 720 should not be a problem...

Keep working brother, we're almost there!
_________________

[highlight]Monster collection of Verbal questions (RC, CR, and SC)[/highlight]
massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142

[highlight]Massive collection of thousands of Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving questions and answers:[/highlight]
1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 195
Schools: Kelley Class of 2013
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 20

Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 14:48
2
This post received
KUDOS
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
MisterEko wrote:
I have the same trouble with that approach on CR, with the exception of boldface questions, where you know what it is as soon as you see the bold print. I found diagramming and note taking helps.


On the CR, despite what some of the CR study books say, I think note taking/diagramming can certainly benefit some test takers, but I don't think i should be the recommended course for everyone. That is, I think MGMAT basically says that everyone should do it, and IMHO that is overreaching. People should experiment with various techniques on it, but I find that all it does is slow me down. Then again, i'm used to the LSAT CR and law school which sort of helps focus those skills.

Personally, I simply read critically from top to bottom and think about any issues or openings I see as I read down. Then, I just go through the question choices and if you've been thinking critically going down you can usually cross of 3 of the answers straight away as they are not even close to being relevant to the question.

The only exception for me is with the bold print questions. For me, what I have found helps most is:
(1) read the passage
(2) before looking at any answer, formulate in my own mind the relationship between the bolded parts (e.g., evidence that supports a conclusion and that conclusion, evidence that supports a conclusion and evidence that undermines that other evidence, etc.);
(3) then find that among the answer choices.

I find that if I look at the answers before determining in my own mind the relationship, it makes it a much slower process as often some of the answer choices are worded in such a way that you can get easily confused if you haven't formulated an idea of the answer before you read it.
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Three Down.
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1879
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1416 [1] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 01:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
MisterEko wrote:
That sounds good! My biggest weakness by far is SC and I will be doing 50 of them a day for the next 4 day to get in shape! Thanks for that...
As far as CR goes, some say it helps to read the question first, then the story. I personally find that confusing. I like to read the story, read the question, then try to answer it before looking at the answers. If you're doing really well, answers will be so convoluted that they won't look like anything you expected... ;)


Make sure that you're reviewing your answers and seeing where you're going wrong! Also, you should do the GMAT Prep SC document that's floating on here, in the SC forum. Think it'd be supremely beneficial!

As for CR, I usually read the stimulus first. I don't take notes physically, but I mentally search for the conclusion and if there's any assumptions or logical flaws, I make note of them. This is useful because:

1. If it's inference, you got the answer down
2. If it's weaken, look for the logical flaws you found
3. If it's strengthen, look for something that negates the flaws you found

Good luck and hope you do well! Keep us posted.

4 8 15 16 23 42
Re: Countdown to G-DAY - 6 Days   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2010, 01:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The countdown dunleavy89 1 28 Mar 2012, 07:44
I am not going to see Star Wars before G-day proych 0 18 Oct 2009, 13:18
Experts publish their posts in the topic Aug 21 G-Day...2 weeks to go adamv30 2 07 Aug 2009, 17:52
15 hours to go for G-day. UMB 1 03 Sep 2008, 14:15
Countdowns xerox 5 20 Mar 2008, 17:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Countdown to G-DAY - Today's go time!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 74 posts ] 

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.