Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should a country-specific applicant forum/subforum be created?

• 80% [8]
  • 0% [0]
  • 20% [2]
  • 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7270 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 17:32
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey Guys - anyone see value in creating a separate forum/sub-forum/area to discuss country-specific application/gmat issues?
Just to clarify - This forum would not be for discussion of country-specific schools - we already have the international MBA forum, rather it will focus on the country of applicant's origin, regardless of schools applying to.

The forum would be intended mainly for international applicants and designed to help them connect with people from home countries and resolve issues applicable only that country/region. For example, last year we had this thread: indian-admits-2009-keep-all-desi-discussions-here-74043.html and here is another one that just got started recently: oh-it-indian-male-you-are-doomed-82693.html

For example, I am from Ukraine, so is Walker for example, and a few others on this forum. I know of some of you, but not of others. Thus I would create a thread called - Calling all Ukrainian Applicants with the following purpose:
1. Help all Ukrainian applicants find each other on gmatclub (if they are interested in doing so)
2. Have a place to discuss Ukraine-related issues such as where to buy gmat books, which gmat tutoring/admissions consulting to use or rather not to use
3. Possibly have a local meeting of gmat clubbers
4. Other cooperation and info exchange such as how to get US visa, how to prove sufficiency of funds in bank account, translate University transcript, airline tickets, etc.
5. Vent and discuss elections and best strategies to siphon Russian gas out of the pipes (just kidding)

Creating a forum or a subforum is a big deal for us, so I want to get the general feel among the international applicants
  • Would you find such forum/thread useful/valuable?
  • Would you feel comfortable identifying your country information and participating in an appropriate discussion?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 85 [2] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 20:40
This post received
KUDOS
I usually read the indian IT doom thread. I found it to be useful with information related to me. :)

/signed chinese IT.

:D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 20:44
Expert's post
billyjeans wrote:
I usually read the indian IT doom thread. I found it to be useful.

/signed chinese IT.

:D

:lol: Thanks

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [2] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 11:28
This post received
KUDOS
Not to throw gender in there, but both the main MBA message boards I frequent are overrun by men (although I do love men :wink: ), but I'd like to see a thread (maybe one exists) for female applicants as well. We could discuss particular scholarships/fellowships for women, interesting facts about female applicants (i.e. I've heard that female MBA students tend to be younger than their male counterparts), recruiting and on-campus events, application strategies, or just discuss some of the things we'll be dealing with "trying to balance work and life" (however cliche that may be).

Just my .02 cents

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 12:50
Expert's post
2012dreams wrote:
Not to throw gender in there, but both the main MBA message boards I frequent are overrun by men (although I do love men :wink: ), but I'd like to see a thread (maybe one exists) for female applicants as well. We could discuss particular scholarships/fellowships for women, interesting facts about female applicants (i.e. I've heard that female MBA students tend to be younger than their male counterparts), recruiting and on-campus events, application strategies, or just discuss some of the things we'll be dealing with "trying to balance work and life" (however cliche that may be).

Just my .02 cents

That's a great idea - I think you should start one! You really should.
Let me know if I can help in any way (will definitely promote it on the site).

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 8

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Great idea! U've got one Ukrainian more! :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
2012dreams wrote:

Just my .02 cents

I completely agree! Lets do this.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 09:45
bb wrote:

Done: calling-all-female-applicants-84636.html

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 09:51
Expert's post
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
bb wrote:

Done: calling-all-female-applicants-84636.html

Great! Thank you!

I put it into the site announcement for today to get awareness.

P.S. Even put the right link in :)

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 373 [1] , given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Hey Guys - anyone see value in creating a separate forum/sub-forum/area to discuss country-specific application/gmat issues?

May be we can have country specific tags instead :roll:
Even country specific forums would also be a good idea to organize such country specific threads. But the problem would be we will loose the category of the thread. Example, a topic related to "The B-School Application" if moved to country specific forum may loose a set of relevant audience.

bb wrote:
For example, last year we had this thread: indian-admits-2009-keep-all-desi-discussions-here-74043.html ....

Looks a great thread, I was not aware that such a thread exists on gmatclub. Will need time to go through the posts, they are so many and really useful. Thanks.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 11:12
Expert's post
bigoyal wrote:
bb wrote:

May be we can have country specific tags instead :roll:

That will be a few dozen/hundred tags - will be a bit too much :)
Quote:
Even country specific forums would also be a good idea to organize such country specific threads. But the problem would be we will loose the category of the thread. Example, a topic related to "The B-School Application" if moved to country specific forum may loose a set of relevant audience.

Definitely - having a separate forum will not make as easily available, but it is intended to go beyond BSchool application
Quote:
bb wrote:
For example, last year we had this thread: indian-admits-2009-keep-all-desi-discussions-here-74043.html ....

Looks a great thread, I was not aware that such a thread exists on gmatclub. Will need time to go through the posts, they are so many and really useful. Thanks.

Yes, getting information organized is a challenge....we're still tackling - any suggestions along the way are welcome!

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
Country specific thread really helps, especially given the hardships internationals are experiencing in the current market. It will surely help prospective to make informed decisions.

Cheers!

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 20:49
Expert's post
snipertrader wrote:
Country specific thread really helps, especially given the hardships internationals are experiencing in the current market. It will surely help prospective to make informed decisions.

Cheers!

Feedback is not overwhelming, but I think I will give it a shot then.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 13:24
Expert's post
Done: mba-applicant-country-specific-discussions-145/

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
WE 1: Consumer research
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 13:50
so, what's with the forum?? i thought it was a great idea...
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 19:44
Expert's post
The forum was deleted because of under utilization. All of the threads were merged with this forum (The B-School Application).

Diversity

Re: Country-specific Applicant Discussions - Should we implement   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2010, 19:44