Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3662 [73]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [26]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Country Y uses its scarce foreign-exchange reserves to buy scrap iron [#permalink]
Can anyone explain why E is right... can't understand form the explanantions given ...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: Country Y uses its scarce foreign-exchange reserves to buy scrap iron [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Country Y uses its scarce foreign-exchange reserves to buy scrap iron for recycling into steel. Although the steel thus produced earns more foreign exchange than it costs, that policy is foolish. Country Y’s own territory has vast deposits of iron ore, which can be mined with minimal expenditure of foreign exchange.

The following is inferred from the question stem----
1. Foreign-exchange reserves used to buy scrap iron. However steel thus produced earns more foreign exchange than it costs. Hence no loss to country Y foreign-exchange reserves, infact it increases every time it buys scrap iron for recycling into steel.

2. Country Y’s can mine OWN deposits of iron ore with minimal expenditure of foreign exchange.

We have to prove that 1. above is better than 2. Lets check the answers.

(A) The price of scrap iron on international markets rose significantly in 1987. [b]So what? may be expenses with respect to processing own iron ore also increased during the period.
hence wrong.
(B) Country Y’s foreign-exchange reserves dropped significantly in 1987. Since Foreign-exchange reserves increases every time country Y buys scrap iron AND recycles into steel, this would not make a difference. Further we know nothing of what happened to processing own iron ore during the period. hence wrong.
(C) There is virtually no difference in quality between steel produced from scrap iron and that produced from iron ore. we are not talking of quality but expenses. hence wrong.
(D) Scrap iron is now used in the production of roughly half the steel used in the world today, and experts predict that scrap iron will be used even more extensively in the future. How much is used is not our concern. Only expences please... hence wrong.
(E) Furnaces that process scrap iron can be built and operated in Country Y with substantially less foreign exchange than can furnaces that process iron ore. Right answer. SINCE COST OF PROCESS IS MUCH LESS WITH SCRAP IRON WITH RESPECT TO FOREIGN EXCHANGE INFERENCE 1. , AS ABOVE IS A BETTER OPTION.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Reachnaidu,
From the premise we see that there are two mediums by which country Y can produce steel. First is by buying scrap iron from other countries and then converting it to steel. The second way is to mine own iron ores and then converting them to steel. Although the profit is coming by both the methods,
costs associated with mining < costs associated with buying.
But now our aim is to support the latter. So for this we have to pick a factor that would anyhow support the step that buying scrap iron is beneficial.
Option E properly supports that by saying that
Operating costs associated with scrap iron < operating costs associated with iron ore
As far as your explanation is concerned, that is “it is not mentioned about the cost of buying the scrap where as iron ore is readily available without foreign costs”
When you said iron ore is readily available, you are thinking that it’s freely available anywhere. But in the passage it’s given that iron ore has to be mined and you have consider the costs associated with mining too.
See the sentence in the premise – “Country Y’s own territory has vast deposits of iron ore, which can be mined with minimal expenditure of foreign exchange”.
I hope this clears your confusion. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
Hi Experts
Can you please tell in detail if option A and B, Have any impact on the conclusion? In my opinion, both have no impact on the conclusion , as my thought process- "So what if something happened in 1987??? We donot know what is the timeline today and if that effect of 1987 continued today or vanished??"
Please let me know if this understanding is correct.
Thanks in advance.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gauri123456 wrote:
Hi Experts
Can you please tell in detail if option A and B, Have any impact on the conclusion? In my opinion, both have no impact on the conclusion , as my thought process- "So what if something happened in 1987??? We donot know what is the timeline today and if that effect of 1987 continued today or vanished??"
Please let me know if this understanding is correct.
Thanks in advance.

Your reasoning makes sense.

Furthermore, the passage states as fact that the steel thus produced earns more foreign exchange than it costs. So, even if (A) or (B) were still affecting conditions today, that affect and the choice would make no difference. Regardless of what (A) says, Country Y is spending less than it is making, and regardless of what (B) says, Country Y is able to carry on this operation and is increasing its foreign exchange reserves by doing so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Hi Experts,
VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

I agree that E strengthens better than D, but I am not able to find a convincing reason to reject D

Question stem: Support policy of buying scrap iron abroad. Firstly, this question never asked us to support that buying scrap iron abroad is better than iron ore. I agree that one way to prove buying scrap iron is good is by comparison with iron ore. But overall we need to support that buying scrap iron from abroad is good. 

Now if we try to understand D
(D) Scrap iron is now used in the production of roughly half the steel used in the world today, and experts predict that scrap iron will be used even more extensively in the future.
Scrap iron is used worldwide right now and will be used more even in the future indicates that scarp iron is good. So it increases my belief in the policy of buying scrap iron. For D, I don't see a negative impact or no impact on the given question stem. Can you please help how to arrive at no impact?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos