Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 18:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Country Z's National Health-Care Program(NHCP) provides free

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Country Z's National Health-Care Program(NHCP) provides free [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 06:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:21) correct 38% (01:40) wrong based on 209 sessions
Country Z's National Health-Care Program(NHCP) provides free health care to all citizens. In the last five years, NHCP has received increase funds, both in absolute terms and as a percent of country Z's gross national product. Yet the standard of health care in the country Z has decreased. Meanwhile, the standard of health care in other industrialized countries has increased. Clearly, over the past five years, NHCP must have become an overgrown and wasteful bureaucracy.

The conclusion reached i the passage depends on which of the following assumption?

A) NHCP should not have received increased funds during the past five years.

B) In the last five years, the need for health care among country Z's citizens did not increase to beyond the amount of health care that could have been provided by a proper expenditure of the increased funding.

C) NHCP was suspected of wasteful money management five years ago, but no action was taken to improve NHCP's money management procedures.

D) The standard of health care in country Z five years go was good related to the standards of health care in other industrialized countries at that time.

E) Most other industrialized countries have free national health care programs similar to NHCP.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: !!!Try this CR!!!! 6 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 06:38
Oops. B is the answer, i marked c thinking that they are asking for a reason why it decreased. Darn, i should read the questions properly

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 458 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Country Z's National Health-Care Programe [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 09:17
Expert's post
The conclusion is that the cause of the decreased standard in health coverage was caused by a corrupt bureaucracy. Therefore, the assumption is that there was no some other more immediate cause for the decreased standard in health coverage (perhaps NHCP was unable to provide the same level of treatment because more patients demanded treatment, thus putting unnecessary stress on government coffers).

A) NHCP should not have received increased funds during the past five years.

This statement is just stating an opinion (did the answer choice mean to say 'did not receive'?

B) In the last five years, the need for health care among country Z's citizens did not increase to beyond the amount of health care that could have been provided by a proper expenditure of the increased funding. Answer

Here the assumption is addressed - perhaps Country Z funds, despite the fact that they increased, could not account for a surge in the need for health care. Think of it this way: before the increased funding only 10 million was paid to cover everyone. In the next 5 years, though funding increased by 5 million, if the amount to cover everyone doubled to 20 million, then the government would not be able to provide health coverage.

C) NHCP was suspected of wasteful money management five years ago, but no action was taken to improve NHCP's money management procedures.

Does not relate to the inability of NHCP to cover the cost of health for its residents.

D) The standard of health care in country Z five years go was good related to the standards of health care in other industrialized countries at that time.

We are not concerned with the standard in other countries.

E) Most other industrialized countries have free national health care programs similar to NHCP.

Again, we are not concerned with other countries.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Country Z's National Health-Care Program(NHCP) provides free [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 22:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Country Z's National Health-Care Program(NHCP) provides free   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 22:37