Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Couple of Questions..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 19:46
Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum. Would appreciate your responses to the following two questions:

1. On a certain trip, a motorist drove 10 miles at 30mph, 10 miles at 40mph and 10 miles at 50mph. What portion of her total driving time was spent driving 50 miles per hour?
(a) 5/7 (b) 5/12 (c) 1/3 (d) 1 & 13/51 (e) 12/47

2. How far is patrick from his destination?
(1) The Length of the entire trip is 150 miles.
(2) When he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination.

Thanks/sadiq.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 19:55
1. On a certain trip, a motorist drove 10 miles at 30mph, 10 miles at 40mph and 10 miles at 50mph. What portion of her total driving time was spent driving 50 miles per hour?
(a) 5/7 (b) 5/12 (c) 1/3 (d) 1 & 13/51 (e) 12/47

Time spent travelling 30mph= 1/3h
Time spent travelling 40mph= 1/4h
TIme spent travelling 50mph= 1/5h

Total time spent = 47/60h
Portion of time spent travelling at 50mph = 1/5 * 60/47 = 12/47 (E)

2. How far is patrick from his destination?
(1) The Length of the entire trip is 150 miles.
(2) When he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination.

(1) Insufficient. Patrick could be 1/2 way to his destination or 1/4 way through, or any distance from the destination.

(2) Insufficient. 50% closer to destination means 1/2 way through. But we do not know how long the trip is, so we can't come up with a value.

1 and 2 together would solve the problem

C it is.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 20:09
Hi ywilfred,

Thanks for your reply. I got the same answers, and I strongly believe that the answer sheet has incorrect answers of 1 - c and 2 - b.

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 21:00
For Question 2,

(A) doesn't suffice, coz it just tells the total distance.

(B) however says 30 miles is half of the remaining journey, which means the distance remaining is 60 miles which in other words is the andwer to "How far is Patrick from his destination".

Thus the answer of Q2 is B in my opinion.

Who says elephants can't dance?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 21:06
kapslock wrote:
For Question 2,

(A) doesn't suffice, coz it just tells the total distance.

(B) however says 30 miles is half of the remaining journey, which means the distance remaining is 60 miles which in other words is the andwer to "How far is Patrick from his destination".

Thus the answer of Q2 is B in my opinion.

The question says 'When he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination'.

Not meaning to say that 30 miles is half way through his destination.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 22:24
ywilfred is correct. In B, the question clearly says "when he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination".. 30 more miles means he has already drove x miles. so the equation would be

x+30= 0.5 of total miles, which we do not know. if we combine the information in A and B, the answer is 20 miles. so C is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 03:40
MA wrote:
ywilfred is correct. In B, the question clearly says "when he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination".. 30 more miles means he has already drove x miles. so the equation would be

x+30= 0.5 of total miles, which we do not know. if we combine the information in A and B, the answer is 20 miles. so C is the answer.

Alright, let me put it this way.

"when he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination"..

He has traveled some distance already. Right? So far so good.
And he's some distance from his destination.

He's close (at least wrt start) to his destination already, because he's traveled some distance already.

What if he halves this "distance from the destination"?

So when he travels 30 miles more, he is 50% closer to his destination. This means, 30 miles is 1/2 of the "closeness" he had with his destination. Thus distance from the destination was 30 miles.

Can someone visualize the way I am doing? Or I am just being psycho (seething things that don't exist :) )

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 05:42
I agree. E and C respectively
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 08:21
kapslock wrote:
MA wrote:

"when he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination"..

He's close (at least wrt start) to his destination already, because he's traveled some distance already.

So when he travels 30 miles more, he is 50% closer to his destination. This means, 30 miles is 1/2 of the "closeness" he had with his destination. Thus distance from the destination was 30 miles.

Can someone visualize the way I am doing? Or I am just being psycho (seething things that don't exist :) )

"This means, 30 miles is 1/2 of the "closeness" he had with his destination." <---- He could be just 15% through his journey and 30 miles could easily bt the other 35% !! You cant assume 30 miles is 25% of the journey, unless that's not what you meant. :-D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Re: Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 08:48
Agree to E for the first question.

For the second, the question means the following:
Say he is x miles away from his destination, after he traveled 30 miles he is 50% closer, in other words, he is one half x away from the destination. Therefore x is 60 miles.
(2) is sufficient.
B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 09:38
HongHu wrote:
Agree to E for the first question.

For the second, the question means the following:
Say he is x miles away from his destination, after he traveled 30 miles he is 50% closer, in other words, he is one half x away from the destination. Therefore x is 60 miles.
(2) is sufficient.
B

Honghu, I have attached a picture of the second problem and I can't see how we can get x=60 miles, because all the questions says is Patrick travels 30 miles more and he will then be only 50% through the entire journey.

Let's say Patrick has already travelled 20 miles. Travelling another 30 miles will mean he has travelled 50% of the total journey. Therefore the lenght of the journey would be 2*(20+30) = 100 miles.

However, Patrick could also have travelled 60 miles already. Travelling anther 30 miles will mean he has covered 50% of the total journey. Now the lenght of the journey would be 2*(60+30)=180 miles.

So unless we know whether how far Patrick has already covered, we can't calculate the total distance and hence how far off he is from his destination.
Attachments

couple of questions.ppt [13.5 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

To download please login or register as a user

SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Re: Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 10:12
ywilfred wrote:
all the questions says is Patrick travels 30 miles more and he will then be only 50% through the entire journey.

The question didn't say that. The question says after he travels 30 miles more he would be 50% closer than before he travels this 30 miles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 12:18
ywilfred wrote:
kapslock wrote:
MA wrote:

"This means, 30 miles is 1/2 of the "closeness" he had with his destination." <---- He could be just 15% through his journey and 30 miles could easily bt the other 35% !! You cant assume 30 miles is 25% of the journey, unless that's not what you meant. :-D

Sorry for jumping the gun - I've not yet seen your diagram - and I'd post when I see it, but I thought I'd point something out related to your reasoning.

He "could" be just 15% through his journey. That's fine. But 30 miles is not the other "35%". (I don't know where the 35% comes from). All I think the statement B means, that

Of the remaining journey, half is covered, when he travels 30 miles.

Look at the statement once again.

"when he traveled 30 more miles, he will be 50 percent closer to his destination".

When he travels another 30 miles he is 50 percent closer to destination wrt the point when this statement was made - not wrt to the starting point.
(maybe that's where your 35% is coming from).

Now let me put it mathematically.

Suppose the total distance was 150 miles.
And suppose he had already traveled z miles.

Thus distance from the destination
= closeness to the destination = 150-x

If he travels another 30 miles and gets 50% closer, [Please realize that 50% closer means the distance from destination has now become 50% of what it was stated - not at the begining of the journey but from the time the statement was made]

Therefore, closeness to destination = (150-x)/2

And this distance is 30 miles.

I hope that helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 12:23
ywilfred wrote:
Honghu, I have attached a picture of the second problem and I can't see how we can get x=60 miles, because all the questions says is Patrick travels 30 miles more and he will then be only 50% through the entire journey.

Let's say Patrick has already travelled 20 miles. Travelling another 30 miles will mean he has travelled 50% of the total journey. Therefore the lenght of the journey would be 2*(20+30) = 100 miles.

However, Patrick could also have travelled 60 miles already. Travelling anther 30 miles will mean he has covered 50% of the total journey. Now the lenght of the journey would be 2*(60+30)=180 miles.

So unless we know whether how far Patrick has already covered, we can't calculate the total distance and hence how far off he is from his destination.

YWilfred,

I saw where you're coming from. I think you think 50% closer to the destination means half of the total distance whereas we think 50% closer to the destination means half of the distance remaining from the destination at that point in time.

I think the statement applies at the point in time it was supplied.

But anyway, lets just leave this question at that - maybe its a case of ambiguous statements and we can hope we'd not get such questions in GMAT.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 16:43
kapslock wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

YWilfred,

I saw where you're coming from. I think you think 50% closer to the destination means half of the total distance whereas we think 50% closer to the destination means half of the distance remaining from the destination at that point in time.

I think the statement applies at the point in time it was supplied.

But anyway, lets just leave this question at that - maybe its a case of ambiguous statements and we can hope we'd not get such questions in GMAT.

Ha ! I see how you arrived at B now. I think it's a matter of interpretation. I haven't seen anything like this in the OG yet, so I suppose statements are going to be quite clear cut on the actual test. :-D
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Couple of Questions.. [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 18:21
ywilfred wrote:
I haven't seen anything like this in the OG yet, so I suppose statements are going to be quite clear cut on the actual test. :-D

Agree with Ywilfred. yes, OG problems are least ambigous. Its a matter of understanding. But in actual test, we should understand ETS ways.
Thanx guys....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 16:54
I get 'B' too.
Stmt 2 states (ver subtlly) that the extra 30 miles cuts short the remaining distance by half i.e 50%
=> 30 miles = half the remaining distance
Thus, the total distance REMAINING = 30 + 30 = 60 miles.
This question does not ask us to compute the toatal distance.

Therefore 'B' is sufficient.
  [#permalink] 05 Apr 2005, 16:54