Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Course of Study for High Verbal/Medium Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-20-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Course of Study for High Verbal/Medium Quant [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 13:26
I recently took a MGMAT practice exam and scored a 700 with Q44/V41. I would like to know if it would be better to focus on the Quant section or continue focusing on both sections. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8827 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Course of Study for High Verbal/Medium Quant [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 21:09
Expert's post
LCTIII wrote:
I recently took a MGMAT practice exam and scored a 700 with Q44/V41. I would like to know if it would be better to focus on the Quant section or continue focusing on both sections. Any help is greatly appreciated!

v41 is a pretty good score and so is the Q44.

I would focus on the area you can improve the most. if you are at a loss, the Q score looks like it could be improved more and usually easier than the V score.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Design (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Course of Study for High Verbal/Medium Quant [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 01:46
LCTIII wrote:

In my opinion, quant is not only easier to improve, but it is also more variable. You could get lucky and get questions that you know how to do on test day, or you could get unlucky and have the test emphasize question types that you're weaker at. Verbal is more stable, at least for me, because for quant not remembering a geometry rule or a formula could sink you, even if you could otherwise solve the problem. There isn't really a parallel to this in verbal (aside from grammar rules in sentence correction if you don't play them by ear), as its much more difficult to forget how to read critically, or how to analyze an argument. Verbal draws on broader skill sets, and I was therefore less worried about failing to show the GMAT algorithm my best effort in verbal. Schools also like to see at least 80th percentile in quant, which is a 48, especially in quant heavy fields. So I would focus on quantitative more than verbal, but brush up on both if you have the time and the drive.

Nice Marmot.

Re: Course of Study for High Verbal/Medium Quant   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2011, 01:46