Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Coursera is it really worth it???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Coursera is it really worth it??? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 21:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Everyone

I was just wondering do courses provided by companies such as coursera or udacity have any value??
I am planning to join this course "An Introduction to Marketing" which is provided by Wharton and they do provide a certificate..
Is it really worth it i mean can i include it in the education section and will it have an impact on the adcom ???

Any response is highly appreciated..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 7

Re: Coursera is it really worth it??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
amyjohn wrote:
Hi Everyone

I was just wondering do courses provided by companies such as coursera or udacity have any value??
I am planning to join this course "An Introduction to Marketing" which is provided by Wharton and they do provide a certificate..
Is it really worth it i mean can i include it in the education section and will it have an impact on the adcom ???

Any response is highly appreciated..

Although I do not have experience with this sort of a thing but I'll go out on a limb and put in my two cents. I don't think it would have too big an impact. Yes, it would be an add on to your profile but I don't think it would be a big deal, unless you go on to use what you learnt from Coursera, apply it in the real world and let the adcom know about it.

I'd me more interested in finding out if you applied what you learnt in Coursera. If not, it might just come across as a gimmick to try and impress the adcom.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Coursera is it really worth it??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 19:36
Hi There

Thanks for replying. Definitely people can use it as a gimmick to impress the adcoms.
But my motive is to show dedication since i am engineer and the only reason why i want to switch to MBA is because i want to go into marketing .
So i just wanted to use it as a way to show adcom that though i have no prior experience in marketing but i am trying to learn the nuances via this course.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: Coursera is it really worth it??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 22:14
amyjohn wrote:
Hi There

Thanks for replying. Definitely people can use it as a gimmick to impress the adcoms.
But my motive is to show dedication since i am engineer and the only reason why i want to switch to MBA is because i want to go into marketing .
So i just wanted to use it as a way to show adcom that though i have no prior experience in marketing but i am trying to learn the nuances via this course.

Hello,

That makes sense then. It will not be a negative if you've got a solid plan around changing to marketing. However, it might help you that much more if you can also get to apply what you learn in the course, in the real world, if not on your full time job perhaps through a community initiative or volunteering etc. That would add gold to silver ;)

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Coursera is it really worth it??? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 22:20
Thanks a ton..It all makes sense..
Re: Coursera is it really worth it???   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2014, 22:20