Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 06:44
Hi,

I am interested in tax research and am pursuing Ph.D. in accounting. I am wondering what class might be helpful to perform better for me in the Ph.D. program. Also, what school is popular for tax research? I visited a lot of universities's websites. Some of them doesn't look like they have many professors specialized in tax. I have only taken federal taxation class and have no working experience. Please give me some advice.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 08:05
somdari1004 wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in tax research and am pursuing Ph.D. in accounting. I am wondering what class might be helpful to perform better for me in the Ph.D. program. Also, what school is popular for tax research? I visited a lot of universities's websites. Some of them doesn't look like they have many professors specialized in tax. I have only taken federal taxation class and have no working experience. Please give me some advice.

Thank you.

The classes I'd recommend are probably the same as the classes for other quant-intensive areas of business (finance, operations research) -- econometrics, microeconomics. For tax-related stuff, actual tax and accounting courses may help you understand the topics better but likely won't directly help you "perform better" in a Ph.D. program, whatever "perform better" means. I have no clue what tax researchers actually do but I'd imagine game theory/mechanism design courses can be important if you want to see the bigger picture and interact with Economics faculty members.

You're right that professors specialized in tax are hard to find. I'd look at state schools more closely than the usual "top schools" (Wharton et al.). I vaguely remember that places like UNC, UIUC (Illinois) and UT-Austin had a few tax people. I think you'd rather go to a place where there is only one good tax researcher than a place with 3 mediocre ones.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 10:24
You may want to also look for tax experts in the university's law school rather than the business school, since all tax is based on law. I work for a Big 4 firm and most of our top tax experts are JDs as well as CPAs.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 08:59
Thank you so much for your advice. It helped a lot.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 16:44
I recommend classes that would prepare for archival research like tax courses and courses in econometrics. I would also agree that sadly there are few schools that have tax phd programs. Help fight the slippery slope!
Re: Courses to take for Ph.D. in accounting   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2009, 16:44