Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Covered with low shrubs, the quality of the land along the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 18

Covered with low shrubs, the quality of the land along the [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 21:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

8% (02:03) correct 92% (00:32) wrong based on 26 sessions
Covered with low shrubs, the quality of the land along the seashore is sandy and unsuitable for agricultural use.

a)

b) Covered with low shrubs, the land along the seashore is sandy and unsuitable for agriculture.

c) The land along the seashore, covered with low shrubs, is sandy and has a quality ubsuitable for agricultural use.

d) The land along the seashore is covered with low shrubs, sandy, and is unsuitable for agriculture.

e) The quality o the land along the seashore, covered with low shrubs, is sandy and unsuitable for agricultural use.

Please, post your answer along with youe reasing. Thanks!!:)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 294 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 22:18
IMO B
Covered with low shrubs ( past participle) is correctly modifying the land (subject).
sandy and unsuitable are two problems and are parallel.
though E is shown the correct choice, however Covered with low shrubs ( past participle) is incorrectly modifying "The quality" ( which should have been THE LAND) ..
Qualities can't be covered
correct me if i am wrong.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 21

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 02:10
In my opinion also B should be the answer.

Consider KUDOS if You find it good

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 10

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 06:47
I also agree that the answer should be B. Given that with E the low shrubs are modifying the quality I don't understand why B is not the correct answer.

My First GMAT Experience - today-s-gmat-score-640-down-but-not-out-127044.html#p1040685

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 18:58
I also picked b, but OA is e. Why~~~~~~~~~~~ :cry:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 29

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 19:33
eybrj2 wrote:
Covered with low shrubs, the quality of the land along the seashore is sandy and unsuitable for agricultural use.

a)

b) Covered with low shrubs, the land along the seashore is sandy and unsuitable for agriculture.

c) The land along the seashore, covered with low shrubs, is sandy and has a quality ubsuitable for agricultural use.

d) The land along the seashore is covered with low shrubs, sandy, and is unsuitable for agriculture.

e) The quality o the land along the seashore, covered with low shrubs, is sandy and unsuitable for agricultural use.

Please, post your answer along with youe reasing. Thanks!!:)

Covered with low shrubs incorrectly modifies the quality.
B) Corrects the modifier error (correctly modifies the land). Concise.
C) Grammatically correct but awkward construction.
D) Parallelism error when describing the land. ... is covered with low shrubs, is sandy, and is unsuitable...
E) Incorrectly modifies the seashore; when the main subject is the land.

On my first attempt, I selected B as my answer. But after pondering awhile, I think E should be the answer. The main subject is the quality; covered with low shrubs can also modify the seashore. Furthermore, Original sentence is discussing about the quality of the land and I think we cannot simply assume that in B.
What is the actual explanation of the OA?

Learn to walk before you run.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 23:41
Unfortunately, there is no official explanation for this Q.
That's why I posted here.
But your reasoning makes sense. still don't get why b is not the answer though
Based on your explanation, I think that the reason that b is not the answer is that b changes focus into the land while the focus is the quality in the original sentence like e.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2012, 23:51
The correct answer is B as the low shrubs is correctly modifying the land.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 06:17
I think B is correct.

The quality is sandy .. looks awkward (E)
The land is sandy .. makes sense (B)

B. the land (along the seashore) is sandy and unsuitable
E. The quality of the land along the seashore, covered with low shrubs, is sandy and unsuitable

the Battle continues ..

Re: PT #3 SC 20 Covered with low shrubs   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2012, 06:17