Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 07:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

45% (02:15) correct 55% (02:05) wrong based on 49 sessions
Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and even violent play with their siblings. This activity is apparently instigated by the parent lions. Cowonga lion cubs born in captivity,however,rarely engage in aggressive play. Zoologists have concluded that this form of play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wild and that such play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there.

The zoologists' conclusion would be most strengthened by demonstrating that

(A) Cowonga lions raised in captivity are unable to hunt successfully in the wild.

(B) the skills developed from aggressive play are similar to those used for hunting in the wild.

(C) the young of other types of predatory animals also engage in aggressive play.

(D) parent lions that were raised in captivity do not instigate this play in their young.

(E) none of the Cowonga lions raised in the wild is incapable of hunting successfully.

Please give reasons for ur choices...
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 07:37
I would go with B.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: CR-Cowonga lion cubs [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 08:00
vineetgupta wrote:
Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and even violent play with their siblings. This activity is apparently instigated by the parent lions. Cowonga lion cubs born in captivity,however,rarely engage in aggressive play. Zoologists have concluded that this form of play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wild and that such play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there.

The zoologists' conclusion would be most strengthened by demonstrating that...

The argument says that agressive play is unneccessary in captivity.
The argument also says that agressive play is unneccessarry because hunting skills are not required in captivity.
The argument can be strengthened by demonstrating that agressive play is needed only for the purpose of developing hunting skills, which according to the argument are not needed in captivity. I think B is the best answer.

(B) the skills developed from aggressive play are similar to those used for hunting in the wild.

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 12:01
B !

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 12:53
I would go with B because the passage is talking about skills and hunting. So we must make the relationship between the two stronger
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 13:21
b for me 2
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 16:20
My take is B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 21:40
It should be B
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 09:17
I also chose B but the OA is given as A...can anyone explain??...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 11:08
I inclined to say A although B seems to be a good answer too.

I believe B is not a right answer because it supports an assumption “the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wildâ€
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 109

Re: CR-Cowonga lion cubs [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 14:36
+1 A

This option shows that this form of play is necessary to hunt in the future.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Cowonga lion cubs [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 21:43
IMO it is A.

the assumption is the play teaches the aggrasive skill needed for hunting .
Which is supported by the answer A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 20

Re: CR-Cowonga lion cubs [#permalink] New post 06 May 2011, 22:00
I will go with B. what is OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: CR-Cowonga lion cubs [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 12:48
(A) Cowonga lions raised in captivity are unable to hunt successfully in the wild.

A is correct because it supports the conclusion. In other words, if we add this to the passage, the conclusion would be better supported.

B somewhat restates part of the conclusion: "Zoologists have concluded that this form of play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wild." However, is does not support the rest of the conclusion "and that such play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 110

Re: Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A IMO.

This is the conclusion as stated in the argument:

Zoologists have concluded that this form of play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting in the wild and that such play is not instigated in captivity because the development of hunting skills is unnecessary there

The conclusion of the argument is that the zoologists think that aggressive play teaches the young lions the aggressive skills. These skills are necessary for successful hunting in the wild. Moreover, the zoologists further contend that as hunting skills are not required in captivity, the young lions raised in captivity do not develop such aggressive behavior.

The zoologists' conclusion would be most strengthened by demonstrating that

In this statement, we confirm the contention of the zoologists that aggressive play has a direct correlation to the development of skills required for hunting in the wild. No aggressive play during captivity leads to a lack of skills required for hunting in the wild. Thus, a lion raised in captivity is unable to hunt successfully in the wild. This indeed provides support to the zoologists' conclusion and is our strengthener. CORRECT ANSWER.

If we read this option very carefully, we can understand that there are two different skills referred to here. One set of skills is the one that the animal develops because of aggression. This statement says that these skills developed because of aggression are SIMILAR to the skills required to hunt successfully. Note that this is an entirely different skillset. For example, aggression develops skills A & B in the young lions. But hunting requires the skills C & D. This statement just says that (A & B) are similar to (C & D).
However, the conclusion of the argument is different. The conclusion is - ...the aggressive skills necessary for successful hunting...
The conclusion says that the SAME EXACT SKILLS, NOT SIMILAR ONES, are necessary for hunting in the wild. That is why similar ones are not useful to the argument. DOES NOT STRENGTHEN

Hope this helps.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 20:29
A is extreme. Although a lot of them might be unable to hunt successfully in the wild it can't be concluded that none won't be able to do so. A is extreme. B seems the more feasible option of the two.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 160

Premium Member
Re: Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the OE given by Kaplan and I agree with them too as I too selected the answer A based on the same reasoning. Really good and tricky question by Kaplan. Hope the OE helps :-)

Predict the Answer:

The author implies a cause and effect here. The zoologists believe that the play teaches hunting skills. Where there is need of the effect (hunting skills), there is the cause (play); where there is no need of the effect, the cause is lacking. That’s a correlation, but the key issue remains: Does the play cause the hunting skills? An answer that shows that lions raised in captivity, without aggressive play, can’t hunt tells us that without the alleged cause, there is no effect, thus strengthening the conclusion.

Evaluate the Choices:

Choice (A) is a perfect match for our prediction, telling us that Cowonga lions raised in captivity are unable to hunt.

The fact that the play and hunting are similar, as described in choice (B), does little to show that the former leads to the latter; both could be effects of something more basic and instinctive. The behavior of other animals from choice (C) is beyond the scope of the zoologists’ argument. Presumably the parents raised in captivity, as seen in choice (D), are raising their young in captivity, so this adds nothing new. And the fact that wild lions learn to hunt, in choice (E), has no effect on the hypothesis; the question is how they learned to hunt.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 137

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2014, 17:47
I don´t think that this question is sub-600...very tricky one.

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Re: Cowonga lion cubs in the wild often engage in aggressive and   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2014, 17:47