Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:07

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CPA Exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

CPA Exam [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 11:34
I'm planning on taking the CPA exam this summer. I believe I meet the requirements to take the exam in my home state (PA) with only 120 credits. I'm thinking of foregoing the Macc program and just try passing the exam on my own in order to pursue a masters in finance. Will I have taken enough classes to properly prepare me for this exam? I'm an accounting major and will have taken financial, intermediate 1,2, tax, audit, and accounting info systems. Even if these classes will not have given me enough info, do you think I'd be able to get enough out of prep books to pass? I don't really want to spend thousands on a prep class especially if I can get all the necessary info from a book. I will probably start studying in December and will plan to start taking parts in the summer.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
ajk
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CPA Exam [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 18:26
ajk2010 wrote:
I'm planning on taking the CPA exam this summer. I believe I meet the requirements to take the exam in my home state (PA) with only 120 credits. I'm thinking of foregoing the Macc program and just try passing the exam on my own in order to pursue a masters in finance. Will I have taken enough classes to properly prepare me for this exam? I'm an accounting major and will have taken financial, intermediate 1,2, tax, audit, and accounting info systems. Even if these classes will not have given me enough info, do you think I'd be able to get enough out of prep books to pass? I don't really want to spend thousands on a prep class especially if I can get all the necessary info from a book. I will probably start studying in December and will plan to start taking parts in the summer.

Most MS Finance Engineering/Applied Mathematics in Finance etc etc programs require heavy dose of math and other quantitative courses in his or her undergrad curriculum. For example at my alma mater NYU, its MS Applied Math Finance program "prefers" candidates with math, physics or engineering undergrad background and specifically requires certain intermediate to advanced math courses on top of GRE and GRE-Math scores. I remember that if you don't meet this requirement, you have to currently work on Wall St doing quant work to be considered for the program. (That's what they told me back in undergrad when I attended the info session). I am pretty sure all the "competitive" programs of similar caliber has similar requirements.

Secondly, CPA exam is really different for different test takers. Many take prep cpourses like Becker while others use free CPA prep resources available through the Big 4 firm or other accounting firm that he or she works for. I personally thought that additional prep material I received through my former employer was very helpful because topics covered on CPA exam is comprehensive. For example, your undergraduate law classes that satisfied your accounting degree might be slightly different than the law/regulations covered on CPA. For example, NY State undergrad business schools teach General Obligation Law in addition to UCC, Common Law and etc. General Obligation Law is NY State specific and different states follow different laws (and therefore, teach you same law topics with different applications/outcomes etc). For CPA exam, General Obligation Law is useless and I had to slightly re-learn certain regulations and etc and this was covered in the prep courses. Therefore, it is up to you to decide whether you will be ready for the exam straight out of school. Many people do so and they do pass the exam. So it's really your choice.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CPA Exam [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 13:00
Might be this is not correct place to ask questions about CPA exam.
But I can tell the following:

1. Yes, it is possible to pass test through studying books, rather than attending prep classes.
2. Though, you need the right material to study.
3. I recommend www.cpareviewforfree.com
This is free website, where you can find thousands of CPA exam questions with nice explanation. If you study all these problems,
surely you can pass the exam, without any prep course.

Never give up,,,

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CPA Exam [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 16:10
It's possible to pass the CPA exam without a prep course but at a bare minimum you are going to need the "RIGHT" textbooks. You can use your college textbooks to complement your study materials but you definitely need CPA exam textbooks. They focus your attention on the important "need-to-know" stuff. I never did a prep course but I bought the Becker textbooks and question bank. That's all I used and passed all 4 parts within 3-4 months.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CPA Exam [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 21:52
Another prep source is
CPAexcel.com.
They claim that they have 84% passing rate. Much cheaper than Becker for sure. Tried their material, looks fine, but never took the test with them though.

Never give up,,,

Re: CPA Exam   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2009, 21:52