Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR 1000 (LSAT questions)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CR 1000 (LSAT questions) [#permalink] New post 27 May 2007, 15:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:02) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
Q1. Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?
(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest.
(B) Any goal that includes helping the economy of a community will require public revenues in order to be achieved.
(C) Anyone planning to use resources collected from a group must consult the members of the group before using the resources.
(D) Any cause worth committing oneself to must include specific goals toward which one can work.
(E) Any cause not pursued by public officials, if it is to be pursued at all, must be pursued by members of the community.

Q2. It is not known whether bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), a disease of cattle invariably deadly to them, can be transmitted directly from one infected animal to another at all stages of the infection. If it can be, there is now a reservoir of infected cattle incubating the disease. There are no diagnostic tests to identify infected animals before the animals show overt symptoms. Therefore, if such direct transmission occurs, the disease cannot be eradicated by______
Which one of the following best completes the argument?
(A) removing from the herd and destroying any diseased animal as soon as it shows the typical symptoms of advanced BSE
(B) developing a drug that kills the agent that cause BSE, and then treating with that drug all cattle that might have the disease
(C) destroying all cattle in areas where BSE occurs and raising cattle only in areas to which BSE is known not to have spread
(D) developing a vaccine that confers lifelong immunity against BSE and giving it to all cattle, destroying in due course all those animals for which the vaccine protection came too late
(E) developing a diagnostic test that does identify any infected animal and destroying all animals found to be infected


Q3 Mary, a veterinary student, has been assigned an experiment in mammalian physiology that would require her to take a healthy, anesthetized dog and subject it to a drastic blood loss in order to observe the physiological consequences of shock. The dog would neither regain consciousness nor survive the experiment. Mary decides not to do this assignment.
Mary’s decision most closely accords with which one of the following principles?
(A) All other things being equal, gratuitously causing any animal to suffer pain is unjustified.
(B) Taking the life of an animal is not justifiable unless doing so would immediately assist in saving several animal lives or in protecting the health of a person.
(C) The only sufficient justification for experimenting on animals is that future animal suffering is thereby prevented.
(D) Practicing veterinarians have a professional obligation to strive to prevent the unnecessary death of an animal except in cases of severely ill or injured animals whose prospects for recovery are dim.
(E) No one is ever justified in acting with the sole intention of causing the death of a living thing, be it animal or human.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 08:56
Q1. I'm lost! I don't like any answer. Any ideas???
Q2. A
Q3. Between A and D I chose D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 328
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR 1000 (LSAT questions) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2007, 22:23
enthu4mba wrote:
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
Q1. Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?
(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest.
(B) Any goal that includes helping the economy of a community will require public revenues in order to be achieved.
(C) Anyone planning to use resources collected from a group must consult the members of the group before using the resources.
(D) Any cause worth committing oneself to must include specific goals toward which one can work.
(E) Any cause not pursued by public officials, if it is to be pursued at all, must be pursued by members of the community.


Initailly thouht of A.

But (C) looks better to me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 447
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 07:11
Could you please explin your logic?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 08:45
Quote:
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
Q1. Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?


I am also confused between A) and C).
But, C) looks more correct to me.

Quote:
(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest.

It may be possible that mayor believes building a highway is the best option to promote business.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 08:48
for Q2), if direct transmission can occur during all stages of the disease, the disease cannot be eradicated with the option in choice A)

Quote:
(A) removing from the herd and destroying any diseased animal as soon as it shows the typical symptoms of advanced BSE


Ans is A)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 08:55
Quote:
Q3 Mary, a veterinary student, has been assigned an experiment in mammalian physiology that would require her to take a healthy, anesthetized dog and subject it to a drastic blood loss in order to observe the physiological consequences of shock. The dog would neither regain consciousness nor survive the experiment. Mary decides not to do this assignment.
Mary’s decision most closely accords with which one of the following principles?
(A) All other things being equal, gratuitously causing any animal to suffer pain is unjustified.
(B) Taking the life of an animal is not justifiable unless doing so would immediately assist in saving several animal lives or in protecting the health of a person.
(C) The only sufficient justification for experimenting on animals is that future animal suffering is thereby prevented.
(D) Practicing veterinarians have a professional obligation to strive to prevent the unnecessary death of an animal except in cases of severely ill or injured animals whose prospects for recovery are dim.
(E) No one is ever justified in acting with the sole intention of causing the death of a living thing, be it animal or human.


Mary's decision is not consistent with the principles in B), C) and E).

So ans should be between A) and D).
A) though is consistent, is too general.

D) is specific to the case and the correct answer.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 877
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2007, 17:32
1. A
The Citizen group says:"You must have interests other than our economy in mind"
Therefore, according to them, the Mayor is acting in his own interest.
The group just states an alternative profitable plan but does not state that the Mayor should have consulted them beforehand.

2. A

3. Stuck b/w B and D.
Chose B because D says that Mary had a professional obligation which is not stated in the argument as such.The argument says "Mary decides"...that means she could choose...and thoughts??
  [#permalink] 29 May 2007, 17:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Tough LSAT CR Question waltiebikkiebal 2 09 Oct 2013, 00:44
2 LSAT CR Questions metallicafan 5 21 Apr 2012, 15:31
CR-1000 CR QUESTIONS perfectstranger 0 22 Jul 2008, 14:10
LSAT RC and CR questions kyatin 3 30 Mar 2008, 09:45
Help ! LSAT CR 1000 Swagatalakshmi 1 06 Sep 2006, 09:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CR 1000 (LSAT questions)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.