Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR - Advertisement

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 22:23
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

48% (02:11) correct 52% (01:12) wrong based on 13 sessions
Please explain your answer choice to this one.Will post OA tomorrow

Advertisement : Today's customers expect high quality.Every advance in the quality of manufactured products raises customer expectations.The company that is satisfied with the current quality of its products will find that its customers are not. AT MegaCorp,meeting or exceeding customer expectations is our goal.

Which of the following is a conclusion to the above :

A)MegaCorp's competitors will succeed in attracting customers only if those competitors adopt MegaCorp's goal as thier own.
B)A company that does not correctly anticipate the expectations of its customers is certain to fail in advancing the quality of its products.
C)Megacorp's goal is possible to meet only if continuing advances in product quality are possible.
D)If a company becomes satisfied with the quality of its products,then the quality of its products is sure to decline.
E)Megacorp's customers are currently satisfied with the quality of its products.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 23:03
C)Megacorp's goal is possible to meet only if continuing advances in product quality are possible.

Will post back explanations.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 23:30
D megacorp is satisfied but customer expectations have risen, there for the perceived quality is lower
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 23:34
Kiski wrote:

Advertisement : Today's customers expect high quality.Every advance in the quality of manufactured products raises customer expectations.The company that is satisfied with the current quality of its products will find that its customers are not. AT MegaCorp,meeting or exceeding customer expectations is our goal.

A)MegaCorp's competitors will succeed in attracting customers only if those competitors adopt MegaCorp's goal as thier own. "competitor" is outside the scope of argument.
B)A company that does not correctly anticipate the expectations of its customers is certain to fail in advancing the quality of its products. no support from the argument.
C)Megacorp's goal is possible to meet only if continuing advances in product quality are possible. - correct answer. Argument mentions MegaCorp's goal. However, that goal is possible only if Megacorp continues advances in product quality that will result in customer satisfaction.
D)If a company becomes satisfied with the quality of its products,then the quality of its products is sure to decline. - not necessary. Argument does not support this.
E)Megacorp's customers are currently satisfied with the quality of its products. - argument does not mention customer satisfaction.It only mentions gola of MegaCorp.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 01:24
C is the right choice. I found D wrong bcos not meeting the customer's expectaions doesnt mean that quality will fall. It is possible that quality is still there but cutomers want more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 01:51
I'm in for C

Cheers,
Unplugged
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2009, 08:23
Thanks guys... OA is C
Intern
Intern
Schools: Northwestern, Booth, Duke, Berkley, Stanford, Harvard, IMD, IESE,
WE 1: Business Development with top IT Outsourcing and Consulting firm (Fortune 10 Company)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 18:12
Though "C" is the right answer, I have a serious problem with it... please help me out.

The exerpt states: Every advance in the quality of manufactured products raises customer expectations and megacorps goal is to meet or exceed these expectations.

C states: MegaCorp's goal is possible to meet only if continuing advances in product quality are possible.

I don't see C as correct under one simple reason, if there is ZERO advancement in product quality, then customer expectations will not rise. SO in that case, MegaCorp would still meet customer expectations (there goal) by maintaining the status quo (and not advancing product quality) as long as none of their competition is raising product quality.

What am I missing here? I chose "B" as well being that it was the most logical choice after going through the reasoning above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 09:56
C it has to be!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 400 [2] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 21:03
This post received
KUDOS
Kiski wrote:

Advertisement : Today's customers expect high quality.Every advance in the quality of manufactured products raises customer expectations.The company that is satisfied with the current quality of its products will find that its customers are not. AT MegaCorp, meeting or exceeding customer expectations is our goal.

A)MegaCorp's competitors will succeed in attracting customers only if those competitors adopt MegaCorp's goal as thier own. >>> Too extreme
B)A company that does not correctly anticipate the expectations of its customers is certain to fail in advancing the quality of its products. >>> Too extreme
C)Megacorp's goal is possible to meet only if continuing advances in product quality are possible. >>> Answer
D)If a company becomes satisfied with the quality of its products,then the quality of its products is sure to decline. >>> Too extreme
E)Megacorp's customers are currently satisfied with the quality of its products.>>> >>> Cannot be inferred

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:21
C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 5

Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 09:39
I just got this question wrong in the OG, but I disagree with the OA. I believe (A) is the best choice. Here's my argument.

Quote:
Advertisement: Today's customers expect high quality. Every advance in the quality of manufactured products raises customer expectations. The company that is satisfied with the current quality of its products will find that its customers are not. At MegaCorp, meeting or exceeding customer expectations is our goal.

Which of the following is a conclusion to the above?

The main point here is that MegaCorp's goal is ONLY to meet or exceed customer expectations. We have three logical statements here:

1. If the quality of a product advances, then customer expectations will increase.
2. If a company - ANY company, including (but not exclusively) MegaCorp - does not bother to improve the quality of their products in the face of advancement, their customers will not have their expectations met.
3. MegaCorp will always try to meet or exceed its customers' expectations.

So what conclusions can we draw here? From 1+2, we see that customers will be satisfied with a product as long as that product meets their expectations. Their expectations will increase if that product were to get better in the marketplace (we can specify this because obviously if the company in question were to advance the quality of their product, their customers will already be happy with it). If the company did not improve their own quality to match this advancement, the customers will no longer have their expectations met.

MegaCorp's goal is to meet those expectations. But those expectations will ONLY go up if a product's quality advances. What if a product is at its absolute maximum and can no longer be advanced? Then customers expectations will stay at their same level, and MegaCorp's goal will continue to be met.

Considering all of this, (C) cannot possibly be correct:

Quote:

MegaCorp is constantly improving the quality of their products to meet or exceed whatever advancements are made. If no more advances are possible, then MegaCorp can't NOT meet their goal, because their customers will not increase their expectations!

Now, look at choice (A):

Quote:
A)MegaCorp's competitors will succeed in attracting customers only if those competitors adopt MegaCorp's goal as thier own.

Like I said above in #2, the ad says that ANY company (not just MegaCorp) that fails to improve their product quality will also fail to satisfy their customers' rising expectations. If MegaCorp's competitors don't have the same goal of satisfying their customers, then when a product advancement comes along, they won't improve their quality, and their customers will be unhappy. Those customers will see that MegaCorp (or any other company, really) IS improving their quality, and will instead go to the other company.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I spent a lot of time thinking about this problem, and I still believe (C) is wrong. Any thoughts?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 18:06
This post received
KUDOS
TehJay wrote:
But those expectations will ONLY go up if a product's quality advances. What if a product is at its absolute maximum and can no longer be advanced? Then customers expectations will stay at their same level, and MegaCorp's goal will continue to be met.

Considering all of this, (C) cannot possibly be correct:

Quote:

I think you answered your own question here. You understand that Megacorp's goal is only possible to meet only if continuing advances are in product quality is possible. This is essentially why C is the answer.

MegaCorp is constantly improving the quality of their products to meet or exceed whatever advancements are made. If no more advances are possible, then MegaCorp can't NOT meet their goal, because their customers will not increase their expectations!

What you missed is that the customers will continue to increase their expectations regardless of the product "being at their maximum quality" or not. If expectations keep rising and no improvements can be made, Megacorp will fail to meet their goal

Now, look at choice (A):

Quote:

A is inconclusive. The answer states that a competitor can ONLY succeed in attracting customers by adopting MegaCorp's goal. But there is no way we can know this. Maybe the competitor lower their prices on inferior products, that could also potentially attract customers as well. Adopting MegaCorp's goal cannot be the ONLY way to attract customer. A is false.

Like I said above in #2, the ad says that ANY company (not just MegaCorp) that fails to improve their product quality will also fail to satisfy their customers' rising expectations. If MegaCorp's competitors don't have the same goal of satisfying their customers, then when a product advancement comes along, they won't improve their quality, and their customers will be unhappy. Those customers will see that MegaCorp (or any other company, really) IS improving their quality, and will instead go to the other company.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I spent a lot of time thinking about this problem, and I still believe (C) is wrong. Any thoughts?

Hope it helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 5

Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I think you answered your own question here. You understand that Megacorp's goal is only possible to meet only if continuing advances are in product quality is possible. This is essentially why C is the answer.

No... I said that opposite. Megacorp's goal is only to meet their customers' expectations. If product quality doesn't advance, then customers' expectations will not rise. So if advancement isn't possible, then advancement won't happen, which means customers won't raise their expectations. And if Megacorp is meeting their customers' expectations (and if the ad is true, they always will be), and their customers cannot possibly raise their expectations (because advancement isn't possible), then Megacorp has not only met their goal, but they can't STOP meeting their goal, because their customers will not raise their expectations.

The only way Megacorp won't meet their goal is if customers raise their expectations and Megacorp does not increase the quality of their products to match it. If advancement can't happen, then customers can't raise their expectations. So (C) can't be right, because it implies that even if advancement can't happen, customers will still raise their expectations. But we know from the advertisement that customers won't raise their expectations unless advancement happens. It's basically stating the exact OPPOSITE of what we're assuming is true.

Quote:
What you missed is that the customers will continue to increase their expectations regardless of the product "being at their maximum quality" or not. If expectations keep rising and no improvements can be made, Megacorp will fail to meet their goal

But the article says that customers' expectations will rise if advancement happens. It doesn't say that expectations will rise irregardless of advancement. Why would they put that sentence about advancement if it were irrelevant in this way? And, logically, how could consumers raise expectations about the quality of a product if that quality couldn't even improve beyond what already exists? I know that's beyond the scope of the question/GMAT, but it doesn't make sense in reality.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 01:15
Eliminate based on extrimalities.

B)A company that does not correctly anticipate the expectations of its customers is certain to fail in advancing the quality of its products.
C)Megacorp's goal is possible to meet only if continuing advances in product quality are possible. Cautious and quite tentative language
D)If a company becomes satisfied with the quality of its products,then the quality of its products is sure to decline.
E)Megacorp's customers are currently satisfied with the quality of its products.- We don't know this unsupported.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:17
C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 21:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GRE 1: 1340 Q V
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - Advertisement [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 21:43
I have exactly the same issues with the OA that TheJoy has. I'm unable to reconcile C as the answer because of the points mentioned above. It'd be great if someone can elaborate on this and address the points mentioned above.

Researching schools

Re: CR - Advertisement   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2014, 21:43