Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR: Assumption Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CR: Assumption Question [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2005, 13:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:28) correct 33% (00:06) wrong based on 2 sessions
Question:
Since 1941 L.A. has drawn water from mountain streams that feed into Mono Lake.
If water continues to be drawn from the streams at the present rate, in about 30 years the resulting drop in water Level of Mono Lake will trigger a chain reaction ending in the destruction of the ecosystem of the lake.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the prediction is based?

a) Since 1941 the ecosystem of Mono Lake has changed significantly as a result of a drop in the lake’s water level.
b) The amount of water that evaporates from Mono Lake has increased annually since at least 1941.
c) L.A. is investigating the availability of a different source of water that could supplement the water it draws from the mountain streams.
d) Voluntary water conservation will not by itself be sufficient to hold L.A. water needs to present levels.
e) Any water flowing into Mono Lake from sources other than the mountain streams will be insufficient to prevent the triggering event from occurring.
++++

The O.A. is (e)? Any thoughts.Rgds,

Anna

We can crack the exam together

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2005, 09:56
e is my choice too

Unless alternative casues/factors are eliminated, the conclusion stated in the passage will not stand. In this case, the alternative source of water is assumed to be insufficient, hence the lake can be destoryed in 30 years.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2005, 10:56
E is best; Using POE, no other choice will weaken the conclusion.

Wish you all good luck
Bhimsen Joshi

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2005, 22:37
althought i was thinking about A at first, by the time i got to E it was clear. it has to be E - assuming that no extra inflow of water will prevent the catastrophy we can conclude that the outflow of water to LA will dramatically chainge the ecosystem. A talks about a change but nothing specific and is out of scope. that's my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 02:40
Folks,

Thank you for your thoughts.I was aligning towards (c).My reasonings are as the following:
Conclusion:
-->Water continues to be drawn @ the present level will cause drop in water level which in turn will cause destruction of ecosystem.
Author’s reasons:
-->Water Drawn will be at the same rate could cause destruction of ecosystem in 30 years.
Assumption:
-->Water Level drop is directly proportional to destruction of ecosystem.
-->There is an external factor that causes this.
+++
I think this should have to do with evaporation as it causes the water level to decrease even though the water being drawn is at the same level. Thus my answer is (c). Any thoughts.

Anna

We can crack the exam together

[#permalink] 04 Jan 2005, 02:40