Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR : automated equipments

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 06:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

56% (01:47) correct 44% (00:59) wrong based on 42 sessions
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out why my answer is bad.
Actually I don't know how to find the conclusion is this example. Could some please help 1) find the conclusion 2) find the good answer and explain why it is the good one?

Thank you very much for your help
Attachments

automated.jpg
automated.jpg [ 74.62 KiB | Viewed 3228 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 18:00
This post received
KUDOS
The conclusion is:
companies laying off people due to automation will pay more for unemployment of the employees laid off.
A) if workers found jobs, there is less need for paying the insurance.
B) weakens the argument
C)taxes being paid by all corporations means nothing; because it does not reduce the burden of companies which are using automation.
D) this is also not so much relevant because the employees who lost jobs to automation eventually found some jobs.
E) weakens.
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Hi all,

Actually I don't know how to find the conclusion is this example. Could some please help 1) find the conclusion 2) find the good answer and explain why it is the good one?

-----------------------
tusharvk

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 09:36
I want to say the answer is A.

I don't think D is a good answer because the argument is not talking about new jobs or how new jobs have lower pay (new job can still have higher pay to a Director of Automation, for example). I went with A because if A were to be false, then there's no need for government assistance, which means that there's no need for increased in tax for coporations. Having said that, the people who got laid off must not have jobs yet because this triggers the cause and effect relationship.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 10:14
I confirm OA is A

Well Done... I should have used the method IF X is true... then the conclusion is TRUE...

But actually I took the first sentence as the conclusion which is not a good choice... :(
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 09:23
The question is not whether the workers will get high paying or low jobs, it is limited to getting jobs. Coz if they dont get a job, it will add to the tax payers.

Hence A and Not D
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 10:25
Why is D wrong , if laid off employees get less salary then govt has to intervene to bring them say to atleast a minimum level.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 11:26
D is wrong because the conclusion is about coperations paying for assistance through increased taxes or unemployment. With D there's nothing to suggest that corporations will pay more. Think about it this way. If you left a job and got a new one. The old company doesnt pay you more if you make less nor will it necessarily pay more taxes. It could be possible, but you cannot make that type of assumption.

Ps. Kudos are always welcomed ; )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 23:37
For strengthening question, the answer will be an assumption or information which increase belief in an assumption. This is the way the link between evidence and conclusion is strengthened, or in short, the conclusion is strengthened.
This is classical model of Kaplan.

A is an assumption and of course, a strengthener.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 18:01
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Hi all,

A it is. Since people who lost their jobs due to automation are unable to find jobs, the corportions
will end up paying for their insurance costs.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 19:43
thangvietnam wrote:
For strengthening question, the answer will be an assumption or information which increase belief in an assumption. This is the way the link between evidence and conclusion is strengthened, or in short, the conclusion is strengthened.

I don't believe that assumption has the same meaning as that of a strengthener. Both are different.Both of them helps the logic of the argument.
But the difference is :

If assumption is false ,the argument totally falls apart. Because assumption is something which is not written by the author explicitly, but the author believes that it is true by default.

Stregthener is always some new information and it always adds on to the argument , makes the argument stronger.
If a strengthener is false, then the argument might not fall apart, but we would start doubting the argument.

In the above case (a) is a strengthener.

Comments please..

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 04:11
Practicegmat wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:

I don't believe that assumption has the same meaning as that of a strengthener. Both are different.Both of them helps the logic of the argument.
But the difference is :

If assumption is false ,the argument totally falls apart. Because assumption is something which is not written by the author explicitly, but the author believes that it is true by default.

Stregthener is always some new information and it always adds on to the argument , makes the argument stronger.
If a strengthener is false, then the argument might not fall apart, but we would start doubting the argument.

In the above case (a) is a strengthener.

Comments please..

strengthener fortify the conclusion and an assumption justify the conclusion... so there is a difference between the two,
A is the answer and its a strengthener
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: CR : automated equipments [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 21:43
A is the answer here. If the employees are still unable to find jobs, then the corporations have to pay for the employees through unemployment insurance payments. This will add to the burden on the companies. Hence, it strengthens the argument.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Re: CR : automated equipments   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2011, 21:43