Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR-Bank Executives, BF

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
CR-Bank Executives, BF [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 05:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Oh you guys are going to love this. I suck at BF CR big time, I wasted 3 min on this and still didn't get it right :cry: But I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Since it has become known that several of a bank’s top executives have been buying shares in
their own bank, the bank’s depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that since top executives evidently have faith in the bank’s financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. They might well be overoptimistic, however since corporate executives have sometimes bought shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company’s health.
In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states the counterevidence on which the argument relies.
B. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion supported by the evidence.
C. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is evidence that undermines the support for this intermediate conclusion.
D. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
E. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of thereasoning called into question by the argument; the second states a further conclusion supported by this intermediate conclusion.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Bank Executives, BF [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 06:33
uvs_mba wrote:
Oh you guys are going to love this. I suck at BF CR big time, I wasted 3 min on this and still didn't get it right :cry: But I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Since it has become known that several of a bank’s top executives have been buying shares in
their own bank, the bank’s depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that since top executives evidently have faith in the bank’s financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. They might well be overoptimistic, however since corporate executives have sometimes bought shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company’s health.
In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second states the counterevidence on which the argument relies.
B. The first summarizes the evidence used in the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is an intermediate conclusion supported by the evidence.
C. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is evidence that undermines the support for this intermediate conclusion.
D. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of the reasoning called into question by the argument; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
E. The first is an intermediate conclusion that forms part of thereasoning called into question by the argument; the second states a further conclusion supported by this intermediate conclusion.

I had to choose between B and D.

The evidence does not support the second boldface statement. I am assuming evidence as "several of a bank’s top executives have been buying shares in their own bank." Hence, I think B can't be the answer.

D looks appropriate. First bold face statement is an intermediate conclusion. The second statement is the final conclusion. Because the argument finally concludes in a negative tone saying that "they are over optimistic." :wink:

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Bank Executives, BF [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 09:57
ak_idc wrote:
uvs_mba wrote:

I had to choose between B and D.

The evidence does not support the second boldface statement. I am assuming evidence as "several of a bank’s top executives have been buying shares in their own bank." Hence, I think B can't be the answer.

D looks appropriate. First bold face statement is an intermediate conclusion. The second statement is the final conclusion. Because the argument finally concludes in a negative tone saying that "they are over optimistic." :wink:

second part might doesn't sound like conclusion.

So I will go for C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 10:15

I would go with D. Whats the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 11:15
Between A and C..since second one is certainly trying to negate the first reasoning..

I will pick up A since I am Uncomfortable with and don't understand 'intermediate conclusion' in C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Bank Executives, BF [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 11:35
D from me, more so bcoz 2nd statement definitely sounds like the main conclusion of the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 17:01
Booo, everyone is wrong! Actually I chose D too.

The OA is E, how even i don't know :shock:
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 18:37
uvs_mba wrote:

I find it difficult accept E as the answer.

First BF statement is not really supporting second BF statement.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 19:15
uvs_mba wrote:

Don't get that frustrated, OA is D.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... wn+several

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2006, 22:42
Oh thanks, I guess my source is faulty, need to correct it. Thanks coz I kept on scratching my head and was like looks like I'm never gonna get a hang of this BF CR and was upset :?

But thanks
  [#permalink] 06 Nov 2006, 22:42