Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR: Box office receipts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 7

CAT Tests
CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:53) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
I'll start by saying I hated this question!
Source: MGMAT Practice Test 1

Box office receipts for independent movies for the first half of this year have increased by 20 percent over the total receipts for independent movies for all of last year. Last year, 50 independent movies were released, while so far this year only 20 independent movies have been released. The number of independent movies slated for release in the second half of this year is roughly equal to the number released so far.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must be true?

A. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.

B. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.

C. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.

D. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.

E. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
Answer D.

This is more of mathematical question and less of verbal.

Here is the explanation.

A. The total box office receipts for independent movies this year will be significantly more than 20 percent greater than the receipts for independent movies last year.
It might happen that in later half of the year people do not watch much movies so revenue may fall down. So does not hold good.

B. The number of independent movies released in the first half of this year is equal to the number released in the first half of last year.
Given that movies released in this year first half's is equal to this year's second half. No relation between number of movies of this year and previous year is given.

C. The price of a movie ticket has not increased since last year.
Movie ticket price is not discussed at all.

D. The average revenues of the independent films released during the first half of this year is greater than that of all independent films released last year.
This is what very first line is telling.

E. The number of people seeing independent movies during the first half of this year is greater than the number who saw independent movies last year.
Increase in revenue does not mean that number of people increased, it might also happen because of increased ticket prices.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 18:17
This post received
KUDOS
Agree this is more mathematical than logical.

Hope GMAT has more like these

Answer D.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 239 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
As international, I did not refer receipts to revenues, that is why I chose wrongly also. Thanks!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 19:49
OA is D. I guess my struggle was with the terminology. Aren't they creating a situation where we have to assume Box Office Receipts = Revenue?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-27-2013
GPA: 3.04
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 64

Re: CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2013, 11:37
Hi Sondenso,

PFB explanation.

Let say the total revenue(Box office receipts) earned by the independent movies last year be 'X'. So according to the facts present in the argument, the total revenue earned by independent movies for the first half of this year should be:

20% more X => (120/100)*X

So now we have both amounts with us. Let us now take the averages.

For last year, the average revenue earned per movie will be:
X/50

For this year(half-of-the-year), the average revenue earned per movie so far will be:
[(120/100)*X]/20
=> 3*(X/50)
=> 3 times the average revenue earned per movie last year.

So this proves option 'D' mathematically too. And it proves beyond the confusion of either 'receipt-revenue' word game or price-per-ticket stimuli.

sondenso wrote:
As international, I did not refer receipts to revenues, that is why I chose wrongly also. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Box office receipts [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 14:30
Passage does not say anything about price. So what if price is dropped then even 20% more receipts, revenue may not be more. D cannot be 100% true all the time.
but if 20 more receipts, means atleast 20% more people watched not matter what the price is. I think answer should be E.
Re: CR: Box office receipts   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2013, 14:30