Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR - Caribbean manatees

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

CR - Caribbean manatees [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 22:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
For the CR below IMO is E. Can someone explain why E is preferable to A?

Q22-27: In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, has long been
hunted for its meat. Having noted the manatee hunters’ expert knowledge of manatees’
habits, local conservationists are encouraging the hunters to stop hunting and instead to
take tourists on boat rides to see manatees. Tourist interest is high, so the plan has
promise of achieving the twin goals of giving the former hunters a good income and
helping ensure the manatees’ survival.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt about the plan’s chance of
success?

A. Many tourists who visit these parts of the Caribbean are uninterested in manatees
and would not be willing to pay what the former manatee hunters would have to
charge for boat rides to see manatees.
B. Recovery of the species would enable some hunting to continue without putting
the manatees’ survival in jeopardy again.
C. In areas where manatees have traditionally been hunted for food, local people
could easily replace the manatee meat in their diets with other foods obtained
from the sea.
D. There would not be enough former manatee hunters to act as guides for all the
tourists who want to see manatees.
E. To maintain their current income, manatee hunters who switched to guiding
tourists would have to use far larger boats and make many more trips into the
manatees’ fragile habitat than they currently do.

My opinion: if many tourists won’t go to see the manatees and would not be willing to pay the boat fees as A says, the plan won’t work in the first place. The points that E holds (to maintain their …they currently do) are application problems of the plan that should be taken into consideration IF prospective clients (tourists) are readily available for the plan to start with.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 22:46
I think you said it right. I would choose A because if tourists aren't willing to pay enough to sustain what hunters could make by hunting, then there would be no incentive for the hunters to switch to guiding tourists. The hunters need reasons (financial) to stop hunting and start working as tour guides. But A clearly shows that their may not be enough demand from tourists or even if there is demand, tourists aren't willing to pay enough to be worth it for the hunters. Basically, the plan just wouldn't work so it seriously undermines the plan.

As for E, the fact that the hunters may have to make more trips and use larger boats doesn't necessarily mean that they (hunters) won't make enough money to convince them to switch to guiding tourists. E to me just says that their job may be a pain because they'll have to make several trips, but it doesn't say anything about them not making enough money to convince them the switch is worth it or not.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 22:54
raconteur:

Thanks for your comment.

So far we (u and I) have the same idea on this CR. Let's see what other guys can come up with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 22:54
Yes. I remember this problem.

I answered A as well. :(

I think E is the answer because it does not satisfy both points of the goal.
1) giving the former hunters a good income
2) helping ensure the manatees' survival

As stated in E, if hunters need far larger boats, then they simply cannot maintain their current income with small boats that they have now. So they would not become guides in the first place. Secondly, many more trips into the manatees' fragile habitat would endanger the survival of the species (even more) by destroying the habitat. So the second goal cannot be met.

As for A, hmmm... :?
Someone help me out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 23:17
Yea, this one is a pain. I can see the logic from E - It's too much of a pain in the ass for the hunters to switch and their costs would even go up. So naturally it looks like they would never have any interest. However, to me, the stem states that tourist interest is high and maybe, just maybe, tourists are willing to pay enough money to make all the extra trips/expenses, etc. worth it for the ex-hunters.

As for A, it leaves no doubt that there just isn't enough interest and money to go around to meet the financial needs of the ex-hunters...

In all, this is a tough question and I'm not totally sure. I'd pick A but is this from an official GMAT question? I'm curious to know...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 23:32
raconteur:

I firmly belive that this CR is a real GMAT question. However, there is no way of getting the real OA, at least at this moment. So evryone is on his/her own to choose the correct (in the eyes of GMAT writers) choise.

For me still A is better that E because, if what A says is true, (actually it is true because the Question says so), the plan won't work at least from the financial prospective.

Tohir
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2007, 23:48
While answering this question, i narrowed down the answer btween A & E. Selected A as the answer.
But yes, this is quite confusing. My reasoning/understanding.
If there is no interest in the tourists to see the animal then why will they even bother to sit on the boat & go see the animal.
"A" - talks about interest in tourists & "E" talks about the tourists going on a boat to see the animail.
Thus i think a tourist interest, which you can consider takes precedence over tourist sitting on the boat to see the animal.
Thus i would strongly for A as the choice.

Thoughts....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 03:52
The stmt says tourist interest is high. And based on the assertion (or fact?), the conclusion has been made. But A says no interest from tourist which I don't think a right approach to weaken the conclusion. Rather E says the change of job requires "a pain"...as others described which can weaken the conclusion...So I go for EEE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 05:50
Only A & E come close

A says

tourists of Caribbean are uninterested in manatees
contradicting what is stated in the argument "Tourist interest is high"

This is not the way to raise a doubt on the plans' success but rather raising a doubt on the plan itself

hence E

AimHigher

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 06:08
AimHigher:

I see your point. Actually, I also quickly spoted this contradiction.

But the question says A is true, so one has to take into consideration when evaluating the CR. A says that there is clear signal that the plan itself is not designed well from the financial prospective, which is the main reason for the hunters to change their jobs. HUNTERS NEED A SERIOUS INCENTIVE (IN THIS CASE MONEY) TO CHANGE THEIR JOB. NO MONEY NO PLAN.

So the won’t work and one can’t evaluate its success. No plan, no success (failure) to assess.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 09:03
E says:
To maintain their current income, manatee hunters who switched to guiding tourists would have to use far larger boats and make many more trips into the manatees’ fragile habitat than they currently do.

Just because the hunters have to use larger boats and make more trips does not mean that the hunters are going there to kill the manatees for meat...may be they are making more trips due to less fees/customer.So more trips would help to maintain their current income.

I think this doesnt weaken the argument...A looks good to me.
Any thoughts??
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 20:39
AimHigher wrote:
Only A & E come close

A says

tourists of Caribbean are uninterested in manatees
contradicting what is stated in the argument "Tourist interest is high"

This is not the way to raise a doubt on the plans' success but rather raising a doubt on the plan itself

hence E

picked E for the same reason
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2007, 23:02
The logical answer is A. Remember, we cannot introduce our opinions into the argument. The argument says that interest is high, but it does not say that tourists are interested in manatees. It could be the case that tourists are interested in the Caribbean for other reasons. Therefore, it follows logically that if tourists are not in fact interested in manatees, then the hunters would not benefit from switching.

E is a tempting answer, but it's not correct - that is, it's out of scope. If you only use the information that is given in the answer choices, then it becomes evident that E says nothing about income. However, if you introduce outside information, such as, using larger boats and taking longer trips as means to justify your claim, then you are falling for a classic GMAT trap. In CR, all the information we need to solve the problem is given in the arugment, there is no need to assume anything
What do you think? BTW. Very good question
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 10:15
A. is not right if we read the passage. Tourist interest is High! Many touristsi is not an exact number or percent. For instance: Many tourists to not visit Disney Land when they visit florida...but guess what, disney land is PACKED....Some might be enough

E is right because it implies that the poachers would have to buy new boats and work harder...not a very good incentive to stop poaching.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 12:33
E.

In weaken questions you are allowed to bring in assumptions outside the argument. E assumes

Manatee hunters have access to Infinite Capital

Tourist interest has resulted in Manatee interest

The force of these assumptions is enough to weaken the argument. Financial Considerations of the plan are secondary.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Caribbean manatees [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 14:43
dvtohir wrote:
For the CR below IMO is E. Can someone explain why E is preferable to A?

Q22-27: In parts of the Caribbean, the manatee, an endangered marine mammal, has long been
hunted for its meat. Having noted the manatee hunters’ expert knowledge of manatees’
habits, local conservationists are encouraging the hunters to stop hunting and instead to
take tourists on boat rides to see manatees. Tourist interest is high, so the plan has
promise of achieving the twin goals of giving the former hunters a good income and
helping ensure the manatees’ survival.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt about the plan’s chance of
success?

A. Many tourists who visit these parts of the Caribbean are uninterested in manatees
and would not be willing to pay what the former manatee hunters would have to
charge for boat rides to see manatees.
B. Recovery of the species would enable some hunting to continue without putting
the manatees’ survival in jeopardy again.
C. In areas where manatees have traditionally been hunted for food, local people
could easily replace the manatee meat in their diets with other foods obtained
from the sea.
D. There would not be enough former manatee hunters to act as guides for all the
tourists who want to see manatees.
E. To maintain their current income, manatee hunters who switched to guiding
tourists would have to use far larger boats and make many more trips into the
manatees’ fragile habitat than they currently do.

My opinion: if many tourists won’t go to see the manatees and would not be willing to pay the boat fees as A says, the plan won’t work in the first place. The points that E holds (to maintain their …they currently do) are application problems of the plan that should be taken into consideration IF prospective clients (tourists) are readily available for the plan to start with.

If E is true, the manatee's fragile habitat will be ruined. Will they be able to survive? A says many, not most. Also, interest could be created
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 16:08
ng wrote:
E.

In weaken questions you are allowed to bring in assumptions outside the argument. E assumes

Manatee hunters have access to Infinite Capital

Tourist interest has resulted in Manatee interest

The force of these assumptions is enough to weaken the argument. Financial Considerations of the plan are secondary.

I agree.This is explained in the Kaplan verbal book
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 17:16
It looks like I have to rewire my brain for some CR questions. To me, A appears correct and I have to force myself to accept E. I think this pattern is robust throughout GMAT - that is, two very close answers. But I also agree with some of you in the sense that E seems correct if one makes an inference.

What's the OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 03:53
another interesting CR. Would go with A.
  [#permalink] 23 Aug 2007, 03:53