Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:43
Hey everyone,

The MGMAT CR book advises the test taker to "diagram the argument" i.e. take notes on an argument. This seems to me like it could be an inefficient use of time, but maybe I haven't given this technique enough practice.

What do you all think? Inefficient use of time Vs. A helpful technique that requires practice.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:54
I've been studying for a while and have always used this strategy for every CR problem, but I'm not in the 700 club, my best practice CAT was 650 MGMAT.

I'm taking the official exam in three weeks. Also curious if 700 clubbers do this.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 17

Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 09:06
I used the MGMAT books, but I did not use this strategy. I tried it for a few problems and found that I really didn't gain anything from it.

Everyone is different, though. If taking notes on and diagramming the argument help you visualize what things may strengthen or weaken it, then you should stick with the strategy (assuming you can do it in a reasonable amount of time of course).
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [2] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
I didn't do it. I was lazy. Worked out fine. :)

See what works for you. Everyone follows a diff. method. If you think its eating a lot of time, try doing ques. without it. If accuracy is compromised (rarity), go back and try to increase your speed.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 688

Kudos [?]: 3017 [1] , given: 890

Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ngould wrote:
Hey everyone,

The MGMAT CR book advises the test taker to "diagram the argument" i.e. take notes on an argument. This seems to me like it could be an inefficient use of time, but maybe I haven't given this technique enough practice.

What do you all think? Inefficient use of time Vs. A helpful technique that requires practice.

I think its NOT good unless its a REALLY complex argument
Here is my reasoning.
The more you diagram, the more you rely on it for comprehension and that NOT what the test needs really. Diagramming or writing tons of notes completely screws up your comprehension skills. And remember that COMMON SENSE plays a MAJOR part in CR questions such as strengthen/weaken and evaluate.
So I would not recommend it.
There is a reason MGMAT did a complete overhaul of the 4th edition CR.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:26
CR bible & MGMAT CR both promote "diagram the argument method" and they are very popular. I, too, don't like the diagramming methods. In fact, I don't like taking notes at all in the verbal part. What are the other popular CR guides that don't promote diagramming?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 986 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ngould wrote:
Hey everyone,

Hi nhould,

I've been there; I was also confused about the note taking approach. I practiced both the approaches and used my judgement to decide which way to approach a CR or an RC question. The whole idea behind note taking is to understand the different structures and the argument as a whole. If you can do so without taking the notes you are good to go. If you have time then practice both the approaches and find out what suits your way of solving questions. The pro of note taking is that it is methodical and less prone to errors so more accurate, but the cons is that it may consume a lot of your time sometimes. On the other hand the read --> prethink --> attack approach is not so methodical and could be prone to errors if you are not able to understand the argument properly. If someone is just starting with CR then note taking will be a good approach to develop a comfort level in identifying the various structures and question types/ approaches. Moreover, for number and percentages one should write down the stuff to come to a conclusion etc.

Bottom-line: Ultimate objective should be to completely understand the argument and what exactly the question stem is asking whatever approach you follow.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 8

Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
This is what I suggest to my students:

1. For assumption based questions such as find the assumption, strengthen and weaken, just try to get the main conclusion written down.

eg. If NO rain -> Inflation UP

Most errors are caused in this question type by not understanding the correct conclusion.

2. For content based questions such as find the conclusion, resolve the paradox, try to summarize the information in your own words.

eg. 5 years ago -> x people saw movies in a multiplex
Now -> x + y people see movies in a multiplex

Hence, either (a) more multiplexes, OR (b) other options such as single-screen theaters have reduced.

Apart from this, its pointless to make detailed maps on the test. Your reptilian brain will never be able to digest all of the information - that too under stress :)

Arun

Free GMAT Resources | Ebooks | Videos | Articles |
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/

CrackVerbal Live Online Course with 99th%ile Faculty
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q38 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 09:42
ngould wrote:
Hey everyone,

I think it's really helpful. I did it on my second GMAt try, both for CR and for RC; i raised my score from 590 to 700
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 24

Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 16:18
Vercules wrote:
If someone is just starting with CR then note taking will be a good approach to develop a comfort level in identifying the various structures and question types/ approaches.

This. I think it is extremely helpful to initially practice note taking and diagramming the argument to better familiarize yourself with understanding structure. If you force yourself to do this and then eventually ween yourself off of it, you will be much more proficient and efficient at understanding arguments in your head. In my opinion, those who never force this structure on themselves will find it harder to do well on these questions, especially the more complex ones.
Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 16:18