Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR from papertestsIII corect answer?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CR from papertestsIII corect answer? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 11:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Salve!
Which one is the correct answer, upon your opinion?

In several cities, the government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities. The vacant offices, though available for leasing, unfortunately do not meet the requirements for the facilities needed, such as court houses and laboratories. The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government’s requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.

(B) The government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective.

(C) If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government’s requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.

(D) The government’s construction projects would not, on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.

(E) Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are more cost-effective.

I have their answer but I am not convinced.

Thanks,
Alin

Last edited by alin.a on 27 Mar 2005, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 12:17
I will go with 'A'

The government is constructing new buildings to be used as court houses and laboratories despite the high office-vacancy rates - this is not a waste of fiscal resources.
'A' says that the government cannot modify the existing buildings to be used as court houses and laboratories and so it has to construct new buildings for these.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 13:52
rthothad wrote:
I will go with 'A'

The government is constructing new buildings to be used as court houses and laboratories despite the high office-vacancy rates - this is not a waste of fiscal resources.
'A' says that the government cannot modify the existing buildings to be used as court houses and laboratories and so it has to construct new buildings for these.

Please give your reasoning for denying E.

Choice A is
Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government’s requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.

My understanding of choice A is even if the existing ones were leased (though they were not designed to suit the requirement basically its a compromise) they are not cost effective and the new constructions could be built with lesser expense.

Also in the choice E it mentions about some forum where the goverment could be answerable if it spends unnecessarily.......( Going out of bounds???) :-))...So I yanked out A

Thanks
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 14:19
alin.a wrote:
rthothad, why is not E?

Premises: Government is constructing new buildings to be used as court houses and laboratories despite the high office-vacancy rates.
Conclusion: Government is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

'A' is more closely associated with the premises given but in 'E' it is a far stretch from the premises given to us.

When reading an assumption question I usually deduce an assumption before even proceeding to read the answer choices, this helps me in avoiding extreme answer choices because I am already looking for something closely related to the premises and conclusion given. I find this very helpful in CR.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 14:49
rthothad wrote:
alin.a wrote:
rthothad, why is not E?

Premises: Government is constructing new buildings to be used as court houses and laboratories despite the high office-vacancy rates.
Conclusion: Government is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness.

'A' is more closely associated with the premises given but in 'E' it is a far stretch from the premises given to us.

When reading an assumption question I usually deduce an assumption before even proceeding to read the answer choices, this helps me in avoiding extreme answer choices because I am already looking for something closely related to the premises and conclusion given. I find this very helpful in CR.

I agree .....Choice E is streched..Thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 14:50
rthothad, thank you for your answer; I used the technique you mentioned, but, after reading all the answer choices, E seemed more appealing to me than A did.

Anyway, OA is A.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 20:04
B and C are more closer to the correct answer A than E for me. I don't see why E could be considered. I mean where did it even mention the idea about government being required by law to do such and such? It's totally out of scope.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 20:07
More discussions for those who are interested.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 4443#84443
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 20:54
In several cities, the government is going ahead with ambitious construction projects despite the high office-vacancy rates in those cities.
The vacant offices, though available for leasing, unfortunately do not meet the requirements for the facilities needed, such as court houses and laboratories.
The government, therefore, is not guilty of any fiscal wastefulness. <-- conclusion

We're asked for an assumption. Again, we must find an answer choice tha that holds up the conclusion. (i.e. find something that says the government is not wasting money)

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Adaptation of vacant office space to meet the government’s requirements, if possible, would not make leasing such office space a more cost-effective alternative to new construction.
- This is the answer choice we need. If adapting the vacant spaces to meet the needs of the governement offices do not present a more cost-effective solution, then the government is right to go ahead and build new offices.

(B) The government prefers leasing facilities to owning them in cases where the two alternatives are equally cost-effective.
- Out. It still does not say the governement is not wasting money.

(C) If facilities available for leasing come very close to meeting the government’s requirements for facilities the government needs, the government can relax its own requirements slightly and consider those facilities in compliance.
- Not important.

(D) The government’s construction projects would not, on being completed, add to the stock of facilities available for leasing in the cities concerned.
- Not important again. Does not say why the governement isn't wasting money.

(E) Before embarking on any major construction project, the government is required by law to establish beyond any reasonable doubt that there are no alternatives that are more cost-effective.
- But are building offices a major construction project ? Unless we're able to define the limits of a major construction project, choice E is weak.

A it is.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 21:36
ywilfred, thank you for this explanation. I see now why can't be E; we are looking about office space and not major construction projects.
  [#permalink] 27 Mar 2005, 21:36