Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 16

CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 18:46
Hi folks,

I used the questions bank of the Gmat Prep, including the set they sell on line, and my results in Critical Reasoning were great. Almost perfect and on time!, including the hard questions. :)

Now, I am using the questions bank of Veritas, but I find the CR questions more difficult than those in the GMATPrep (notice the parallelism ;) ).
Is just me?, or are they more difficult really?, With these new questions, I am not as effective as with the gmat prep questions. :s

What should I do? Practice more Veritas questions? Really, I am almost ready to take the test, and I don't want to spend more time studying. I want to focus on my essays.

Thanks!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 990 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 19:11
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Hi folks,

I used the questions bank of the Gmat Prep, including the set they sell on line, and my results in Critical Reasoning were great. Almost perfect and on time!, including the hard questions. :)

Now, I am using the questions bank of Veritas, but I find the CR questions more difficult than those in the GMATPrep (notice the parallelism ;) ).
Is just me?, or are they more difficult really?, With these new questions, I am not as effective as with the gmat prep questions. :s

What should I do? Practice more Veritas questions? Really, I am almost ready to take the test, and I don't want to spend more time studying. I want to focus on my essays.

Thanks!

Hi Danzig,

The GMAT Prep questions are the best available questions for the GMAT. If you are able to solve and understand them efficiently then you are good to go. Note that you should understand why a specific answer choice is correct/ incorrect. Just getting the questions correct is good, but if you are able to understand why a you were correct and why you were incorrect at some instances then you are well prepared for the test. Moreover, you must have taken the GMAT Prep tests; if you find your performance satisfactory in these tests then you should proceed for the test. Veritas questions are good, but frankly no testing company can parallel the type of questions that GMAT creates. Furthermore every testing company's questions are based on the official questions from the OG and GMAT Prep. The closer you get towards your test date the more you should focus on the official questions and doing any new questions (but you must review the old questions from other sources that you have practiced) apart from the official ones is not advisable. I wish you all the best for your GMAT!!

Hope this helps,
Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5348 [0], given: 165

Re: CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 20:04
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks!

Responding to a pm:

When we make CR questions, we use official questions for guidance - i.e. what concepts are tested, how are they tested, what difficulty level to keep etc. Of course questions need to be new and tricky to be able to add value to your practice, but we keep them totally GMAT relevant.

If you found them harder, it could be because you are used to working on official questions and when you practice from a single source for an extended period of time, you get used to the subtle language of that source. Then if you jump on to another source, you might find it harder initially.

The point now is that the creators of official questions will make your actual GMAT questions too hence if you have been doing well in 700+ level official questions, you should do well in the actual test too. I am sure that if you keep practicing Veritas questions, you will get comfortable with them too but if your test date is close, just review the official questions and go take the test.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 06:43
danzig wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks!

Hi, I am also facing the same problem. Accuracy dropped from what is used to get for OG and Verbal Review!!
Quite demoralized..
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 07:37
Expert's post
You should treat those questions as what they are -- practice. No question is as good as the official source questions -- but the problem is there is a limit of supply of such questions. AND, the explanation for some of these official questions can be difficult to grasp.

As such, you should aim for 100% accuracy but focus more on thought process -- why an answer choice is correct and why an answer choice is not. In terms of "measuring" your progress, you should do this in the beginning of your studies with GMAT Prep 1 and at the very end with GMAT Prep 2 test.

In between, you can do some questions from outside sources (I recommend the gmatpill practice pill platform), then measure yourself up with the OG questions to gauge your accuracy percentage. Do this a few times and for each section - SC Practice on gmatpill question platform then SC "quiz" practice on OG where accuracy percentage counts. Repeat for all the sections.

Then after these "quiz" practice sessions, move onto the full length GMAT Prep practice test - that will be more of a real "measure" of your score range and/or accuracy.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: CR: GMAT Prep vs. Veritas Questions bank   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2013, 07:37