Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR - Inference - 700-level

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 8

CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 05:57
People with Williams syndrome, a rare mental condition, are often highly articulate and sensitive. Not uncommonly, they are gifted in music and possess rich vocabularies. Yet these same people, because of their lack of ability in basic arithmetic and difficulty in distinguishing left from right, are misleadingly labeled mentally retarded. As evaluated by conventional means such as IQ tests, their intelligence is no higher than that of people with Down's syndrome, despite the fact that people with Down's syndrome have uniformly limited cognitive abilities and show no specialized aptitudes.

The author is arguing that

A. conventional methods of measuring intelligence, such as IQ tests, are inadequate for evaluating people with certain mental conditions such as Williams syndrome
B. people with Down's syndrome usually have less verbal and musical ability, but more mathematical and spatial ability, than do people with Williams syndrome
C. conventional methods of measuring intelligence tend to consider basic mathematical and spatial ability to be more important than verbal and musical skills
D. people with Williams syndrome are only rarely given the opportunity to develop their unique musical and verbal abilities
E. people with Williams syndrome need greater encouragement if they are to develop their mathematical and spatial skills
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 20

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 10:33
i am confused between A and C.

But i think A is more powerful answer. if its correct i will write my view.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 10:42
Keyword is "misleadingly labeled". Since, people with Williams syndrome are misleadingly labeled mentally retarded, IQ tests are inadequate since these tests do not evaluate the cognitive or special talents. Hence A is correct.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 12:42
A
are misleadingly labeled mentally retarded. As evaluated by conventional means such as IQ tests, their intelligence is no higher than that of people with Down's syndrome,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2011, 12:48
One more for A.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 6

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
This is a Main Point/Conclusion type question, whose correct answer may have the following characteristics:

1) It captures the argument in its entirety
2) It is a Must be true/Accurate Inference
3) It paraphrases the conclusion

Answer choices that do not capture the author's total point or merely capture a segment of the author's point are wrong. Answer choice C is an example of such a wrong answer choice. While it can be inferred from the stimulus that "conventional methods of measuring intelligence tend to consider basic mathematical and spatial ability to be more important than verbal and musical skills", the main point of the argument has to do with William's Syndrome, which is totally ignored by Answer choice C.

The correct answer is A, as it fulfills the above-mentioned prerequisites, namely:
1) It captures the argument in its entirety
2) It is a Must be true/Accurate Inference
3) It paraphrases the conclusion

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 12:08
Will vouch for 'A'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 36

Re: CR - Inference - 700-level [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 21:44
A no doubt. The usage of "uniformly" knocks C out of contention in my opinion. A is tough as it seems to generalize, but is not incorrect.
Re: CR - Inference - 700-level   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2013, 21:44