Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 12:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are you still reading the other newspaper in town?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Are you still reading the other newspaper in town? [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 19:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
it might have ambiguous answers...but sure you can pick the right one eventually.... :lol:

Are you still reading the other newspaper in town? Did you know that the Daily Bugle is owned by an out of town business syndicate that couldn't care less about the people of Gotham city? Read the Daily Clarion, the only real voice of the people of Gothan city.

Which of the following most directly refutes the argument raised in the advertisement above?

A.Over half of the advertising revenues of the daily clarion come from firms whose headquarters are located outiside of Gotham city.

B.the daily clarion usually devotes more of its pages to out of town news thatn does the daily bugle.

C.nearly 40pc of the readers of the daily clarion reside outside the limits
of Gotham city

D.the editor in chief and all the other members of the editorial stadd of the daily bugle have lived and worked in gotham city for ten years or more.

E.the daily bugle has been published in gotham city for a longer time than has the daily clarion.

as usual...answer will follow.

Last edited by aonie on 06 May 2004, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 19:25
sorry! and thanks Paul.

CR edited.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 19:54
D)

To refute this argument we need to prove that the Bugle cares about the people of Gotham ....or the Clarion cares even less about Gotham than the Bugle.

A) is irrelevant. So what if the advertising comes from outside, Clarion might still be a great paper which cares about the people of Gotham...OUT

B) Clarion might devote more pages to out of town news perhaps because the Clarion has more pages than the bugle. Unconvincing ...OUT

C) Irrelevant

D). Shows that the folks who work at bugle are part of the Gotham Community. Good sign that the folks at bugle might care about Gotham...IN.

E) Doesn't tell us much. Longetivity does not imply quality ...OUT
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:01
Once again, I agree with D. A could have been the misleading choice but the revenue source has nothing to do with the ownership of the Daily Bugle.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 23:40
yes it's D.

initially I was almost trapped by B because I didnt read carefully. in my "creative" mind the option was saying that the clarion provided more pages about out town news MORE THAN in town news in comparable pages with Bugle....but of course this only means so if they add some more infor that I've added my self in my mind.

Bugger....It's just that when u see too many CR or any type of Qs, you tend to pre-judge what the answer might be (as you expected because some are predictable) according to your past exp and ended up making your own assumptions. SO... yes BECAREFUL is the mantra.

But, then I realise D for sure. ACE are out since the beg for me.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2004, 05:53
Are you folks saying that
Because staff members of Daily Bugle lived in Gotham whatever they write conveys the voice ov people of Gothan city.

If so then I disagree with you. I think it is an outrageous assumption.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 May 2004, 06:15
Of course this answer is subject to debate. But in the light of the given choices, D sure stands as best given that the owners all lived in the city for at least 10 years. This would be the best answer to refute claim that the competing newspaper, "the Daily Clarion, [is] the only real voice of the people of Gotham city."

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2004, 08:55
[quote="aonie"]yes it's D.

"initially I was almost trapped by B because I didnt read carefully. in my "creative" mind the option was saying that the clarion provided more pages about out town news MORE THAN in town news in comparable pages with Bugle....but of course this only means so if they add some more infor that I've added my self in my mind."

I thought along the same lines that you did Aonie. I narrowed it down to "B" and "D" and went with B because of your explanation. After checking the answer choices i figured out what you did.

You are absolutely right about "adding more info to one's mind". Personally this happens to me when i feel like 2 answer choices are "equally" good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 22:15
But what if the editorial staff of the Daily Clarion lived in the city for the past 20 years? Then, the argument is strengthened rather than weakened.

Some B and D can be refuted or accepted for similar reasons, I believe. I appreciate if somebody clarifies me. 8-) 8-)

Paul wrote:
Of course this answer is subject to debate. But in the light of the given choices, D sure stands as best given that the owners all lived in the city for at least 10 years. This would be the best answer to refute claim that the competing newspaper, "the Daily Clarion, [is] the only real voice of the people of Gotham city."

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2004, 09:07
I would have never chosed D. I feel B is best.
  [#permalink] 03 Aug 2004, 09:07