Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR: Mead Vs Gallis

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 19:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The below question type (logical role) is an achilles' heel for me. Can anyone please explain me this in bits and pieces? thank you.

Mr. Mead: Turning this subway system over to private ownership will surely not make it financially viable. After all, the reason the system is now government-owned is precisely that in 1979 its original private owners went bankrupt operating it.
Ms. Gallis: But remember that government price controls were keeping fares unreasonably low in the 1970's.
Of the following, the best assessment of the logical role played by Ms. Gallis' response is that her response

(A) offers additional evidence for the correctness of Mr. Mead's conclusion
(B) states one of Mr. Mead's tacit assumptions
(C) contradicts Mr. Mead's factual claims about the system's original owners
(D) identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion
(E) implies that Mr. Mead's conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons Mr. Mead gives

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 20:43
IMO E --> rechoose D

(A) offers additional evidence for the correctness of Mr. Mead's conclusion -->impressive but he doesn't offer evidence to support for Mr Mead's conclusion.
(B) states one of Mr. Mead's tacit assumptions --> Mr Mead's assumption is all about the weakness private ownership, not about government ownership
(C) contradicts Mr. Mead's factual claims about the system's original owners -->no contradiction is made here
(D) identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion -->weakness is in analysis, not in evidence --> choose it by POE, but do not really comprehend what is weakness in evidence. I merely think that there's only weakness in analysis, and incorrect evidence
(E) implies that Mr. Mead's conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons Mr. Mead gives -->yes. Mr Gallis doesn't deny the correctness of Mr Mead's conclusion. However, he gives another reason for the issue: because governmental price control system imposed the subway's ticket at too low fare, the subway system under private ownership couldn't be financially profitable. It's not that bankrupcy of the private owners causing the negative performance -->man, quickly done, quickly wrong. Mr Gallis implicitly opposes to Ms Mead's conclusion

Last edited by Minheequang on 11 May 2009, 23:15, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 21:52
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The below question type (logical role) is an achilles' heel for me. Can anyone please explain me this in bits and pieces? thank you.

Mr. Mead: Turning this subway system over to private ownership will surely not make it financially viable. After all, the reason the system is now government-owned is precisely that in 1979 its original private owners went bankrupt operating it.
Ms. Gallis: But remember that government price controls were keeping fares unreasonably low in the 1970's.
Of the following, the best assessment of the logical role played by Ms. Gallis' response is that her response

(D) identifies a weakness in the evidence Mr. Mead uses as a basis for his conclusion
(E) implies that Mr. Mead's conclusion is correct, but not for the reasons Mr. Mead gives

I will go with D

Premise :system is now government-owned is precisely that in 1979 its original private owners went bankrupt operating it.
assumption: Govt didn't control the prices to be unreasonably low in 1970's
Conclusion:Turning this subway system over to private ownership will surely not make it financially viable

Ms. Gallis attacking the Mr Mead assumption which leads to conclusion.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 22:19
Will also go for D.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 11 May 2009, 23:13
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:

IMO E is correct

(A) wrong, Gallis don't add any evidence for the correctness of Mead's conclusion
(B) wrong, no mention to Mead's assumptions
(C) wrong, don't counter any Mead's claims
(D) wrong, the fare nothing relate to the evidence of Mead
(E) the use of "But" means that Gallis agree with Mead, but giving another reason
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 16:57
D for me

E is wrong because Mr. Mead doesnt give a reason for bankruptcy
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 17:28
vnbui wrote:
(E) the use of "But" means that Gallis agree with Mead, but giving another reason

I suggest you look up the definition of "but" as a conjunction.
The conjunction "but" suggests that there is a disagreement.

Mr. Mead's argument is basically it cannot be privately owned because it will not be financially viable. And as proof, he offers up the example of 1979.

Mr Gallis' argument is that in 1979, prices were kept unreasonably low by the government, hence it was not financially viable. This implies Mr Gallis thinks private ownership has nothing to do with not being financially viable, he thinks it is due to price control by the government. He is contradicting Mr. Mead by pointing out the flaw in Mr Mead's logic.

Answer is D.

EDIT: fixed URL

Last edited by xenok on 13 May 2009, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 02:21
typhoidX wrote:
This is a really close call amongst us between D & E. Is there an OA & OE?

this question is taken from old paper based GMAT test so I do not have OE.

OA is D.

@ All: Thanks for participation.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 03:47
D for me too.
Re: CR: Mead Vs Gallis   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2009, 03:47