Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 15:59
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Sorry, I forgot to type the question.

Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abonormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritation. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

The argument assumes which one of the following?

(A) Depression is not caused in some cases by an organic condition of the body.

(B) Wearers do not think of the tinted glasses as a means of distancing themselves from other people.

(C) Depression can have many causes, including actual conditions about which it is reasonable for anyone to be depressed.

(D) For hypochondriacs wearing tinted glasses, the glasses serve as a visual signal to others that the wearer's health is delicate.

(E) The tinting does not dim light to the eye enough to depress the wearer's mood substantially.

IMO, this is a very interesting question. I will post the OA tomorrow.

Last edited by devilmirror on 27 Jun 2008, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 16:37
Buddy you forgot to put the question. It is asking for strengthening or weakening or what else?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 19:29
This post received
KUDOS
Perhaps that is why he has 200+ posts and no kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 21:27
gmatnub wrote:

Your remark is very offensive. I spent time typing this question from the book and obviously made mistake in my post. Your comment like this can discourage people who have good intention to share GMAT questions to others.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 21:36
Doctors in Britain have long suspected that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abonormally prone to depression and hypochondria. Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship. Perhaps people whose relationship to the world is psychologically painful choose such glasses to reduce visual stimulation, which is perceived as irritation. At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal.

The argument assumes which one of the following?

(A) Depression is not caused in some cases by an organic condition of the body. ->this is not stated in the passage .Its out of scope
of the passage hence eliminate.
(B) Wearers do not think of the tinted glasses as a means of distancing themselves from other people. ->It opposes the argument given.Eliminate

(C) Depression can have many causes, including actual conditions about which it is reasonable for anyone to be depressed. -> this is correct since negating this will weaken the conclution.Since depreesion can have multiple reasons the physical tests affirmed the conclusion.

(D) For hypochondriacs wearing tinted glasses, the glasses serve as a visual signal to others that the wearer's health is delicate. ->they wear it to reduce visual stimulation and not to indicate they have poor health.Irrelevant

(E) The tinting does not dim light to the eye enough to depress the wearer's mood substantially. ->irelevant

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 21:46
+1 for a tough question that got me scratching my head for a minute..

I say the answer is A. Its a tough one so I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet maybe 5 bucks on it :-D

I think the key to solving this question is understanding the phrase "patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are abonormally prone to depression and hypochondria".

In my understanding, this means the argument is that patients who wear tinted eyeglasses are highly likely to suffer from depression or hypochondria. i.e the reason they are depressed or hypochondriacs is because of wearing tinted eyeglasses, NOT the other way round (IMO. Please correct me if I am wrong in this interpretation)

The researchers CONFIRMED that "Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship" which means they confirmed the relationship with hypochondria (the constant belief that you are sick when in fact you aren't) but they did not CONFIRM a relationship with depression..

What are the researchers assuming in this case?

(A) Depression is not caused in some cases by an organic condition of the body.
IMO correct because they are concluding that the depression was caused by tinted glasses even though the only confirmation they got was that hypochondria was caused by tinted glasses. They have not taken into consideration that the depression could be caused by other organic factors.

(B) Wearers do not think of the tinted glasses as a means of distancing themselves from other people.
Totally irrelevant.

(C) Depression can have many causes, including actual conditions about which it is reasonable for anyone to be depressed.
If they assumed this, then they wouldnt conclude that the depression was also caused by the tinted glasses. This is an obvious trick question IMO. It jumps up at you as the "right" answer.

(D) For hypochondriacs wearing tinted glasses, the glasses serve as a visual signal to others that the wearer's health is delicate.
Huh? Irrelevant.

(E) The tinting does not dim light to the eye enough to depress the wearer's mood substantially.
Hmmm..No. I don't see the relation to the argument

DISCLAIMER: I might be wrong. This is a tough CR. Appreciate more comments on this one :-)

OBLITERATE THE GMAT!!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 22:01
devilmirror wrote:
gmatnub wrote:

Your remark is very offensive. I spent time typing this question from the book and obviously made mistake in my post. Your comment like this can discourage people who have good intention to share GMAT questions to others.

My bad, I did not realize that you were trying to be helpful. May be the kudo system was broken or defective when you made all your posts.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 22:42
Hey obliterator ,
The analysis is too good .Now im givin a second thought to my
answer. the statement in the passage "Psychological tests given there to hospital patients admitted for physical complaints like heart pain and digestive distress confirmed such a relationship" really muddled me .I thought, from this statemnt,that psychologial tests helped i finding out the patients have depression and because the patient is depressed he wears tinted glasses.
Anyways confusion prevailed between (A) and (C).
Your justification seems right to me and i hope answr to this tricky CR is (A).
Learning is that i will read such tricky questions carefully and if required two times.

What is the OA ?????????????

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 22:45
Going with E here..

Because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal, he/she wears tinted glasses.

E should be assumed in order to conclude the above statement. It states that tinted glasses lead to depression.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 22:52
I think the answer is E.

Sorry to say this , but, the previous post on the kudos by gmatnub was indeed tasteless, and unneccessary. :cry:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 23:21
bhatiagp wrote:
I think the answer is E.

Sorry to say this , but, the previous post on the kudos by gmatnub was indeed tasteless, and unneccessary. :cry:

My bad for making you cry from my tasteless post, would you feel better if I give you a kudo?
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 23:25
:cry:

OBLITERATE THE GMAT!!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
Alright, here come the OA. The correct answer is (E).

Let's look at the conclusion. " At any rate, it can be concluded that when such glasses are worn, it is because the wearer has a tendency to be depressed or hypochondriacal."

We have cause and effect relationship here.

If [tendency to be depressed or hypo..] then [wearing tinted glasses]
Or, D ---> G

To come with this conclusion, the author may

I) Eliminate and alternate causes for the stated effect. Perhaps A ---> G
For example, New tinted glasses design from Vogue does not cause people to wear tinted glasses.

II) Show that when cause occurs, the effect occurs. D ---> Always G
Author may give more examples to affirm his conclusion such as "Famous singers has high tendency to be depressed and this make them wear tinted glasses".

III) Show that when the cause does not occur, the effect does not occur. Not G ---> Not D.
For example, If people do not wear tinted glasses, they do not have tendency to be depressed.

IV) Eliminate the possibility that the cause-and-effect relationship is reversed. G ---> D
Example: Wearing tinted glasses does not cause people to be depressed.

V) Show that the data used to make cause-effect relationship is accurate.
Example: An unbiased survey has confirmed that the author's stated relationship is correct.

After we look at the answers, choice E) falls into IV) category. This choice confirms that the relationship is not reversed.

Choice A and C only talk about the cause of depression (The cause of the cause). The author does not have to make and assumption addressing what causes depression.

Choice B and D only talk about the effect of wearing tinted glasses (The effect of the effect). The author's conclusion does not depend on information given in B or D.

Phewww, that's a long post. This question is really good because all the answer choices give us a clear understanding of the structure of the argument. If we knew how to spot cause-and-effect relationship from the argument, this problem could be solved more easily.

Last edited by devilmirror on 28 Jun 2008, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 17:46
Thanks for the great question and explanation. I was very confident with my "A" answer but I obviously didn't understand the conclusion properly (particularly the "prone to" part)

If you don't mind me asking, what is the source of this question? This is the toughest CR I've faced to date and would appreciate a book/online source that has challenging CRs similar to this one.

Cheers

OBLITERATE THE GMAT!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 18:48
GMATobliterator wrote:
Thanks for the great question and explanation. I was very confident with my "A" answer but I obviously didn't understand the conclusion properly (particularly the "prone to" part)

If you don't mind me asking, what is the source of this question? This is the toughest CR I've faced to date and would appreciate a book/online source that has challenging CRs similar to this one.

Cheers

I have to make it clear that the conclusion of the argument is in the last sentence not the beginning. If you choose the wrong conclusion, you have high chance of choosing the wrong answer. Perhaps this is why choice A looked so attractive to you. The test maker usually set a trap for a person who cannot identify the correct conclusion. From the question that I picked, the conclusion is in the form of cause-and-effect relationship and therefore you have to work around this relationship.

I got the question from LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible. LSAT also test CR but more difficult than that of GMAT. Because CR in LSAT is harder, the explanation in the book contains much more details. We can say that CR in GMAt is the subset of CR in LSAT.

The book said that assumption questions is the hardest type of CR because the author can make millions of assumption about his or her argument. Some assumptions are strong and easy to spot. Some are very subtle and difficult to notice.

If you master LSAT CR, I believe that GMAT CR is a piece of cake. :wink:
Intern
Intern

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 00:24
Thanks for the tip...I'll check it out soon!

OBLITERATE THE GMAT!!!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 01:42
gmatnub wrote:

Please try to avoid such comments. Let us be supportive of each other. A helpful note would have been nicer.
Re: CR: Patients who wear tinted eyeglasses   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2008, 01:42