Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR (Plainsville)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 12:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?
(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest.
(B) Any goal that includes helping the economy of a community will require public revenues in order to be achieved.
(C) Anyone planning to use resources collected from a group must consult the members of the group before using the resources.
(D) Any cause worth committing oneself to must include specific goals toward which one can work.
(E) Any cause not pursued by public officials, if it is to be pursued at all, must be pursued by members of the community.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 12:50
az780 wrote:
Mayor of Plainsville: In order to help the economy of Plainsville, I am using some of our tax revenues to help bring a major highway through the town and thereby attract new business to Plainsville.
Citizens’ group: You must have interests other than our economy in mind. If you were really interested in helping our economy, you would instead allocate the revenues to building a new business park, since it would bring in twice the business that your highway would.
Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?
(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest.
(B) Any goal that includes helping the economy of a community will require public revenues in order to be achieved.
(C) Anyone planning to use resources collected from a group must consult the members of the group before using the resources.
(D) Any cause worth committing oneself to must include specific goals toward which one can work.
(E) Any cause not pursued by public officials, if it is to be pursued at all, must be pursued by members of the community.

I go with A.

One of the premises is that the building project will bring twice the revenue of the highway.

Statment A says that a person will pursue the means that advances the cause the farthest (by the way this should be furthest, were talking about an extent of time or degree not actual distance).

If this were true then the Mayor would have to accept the building project. Since he's not he must be pursing the means that advances another cause the furthest.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 16:58
C ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 19:06
It seems to be A.
All the other options don't seem to make much sense
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 19:41
az780 wrote:

A. Citizens group says that if he were really interested in the econ he would do Y, not X.

Thus: anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means (Y) that person believe will advance the economy the farthest.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 22:09
Conclusion: Following choice most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?

I am tending towards D.

(A) Anyone really pursuing a cause will choose the means that that person believes will advance the cause the farthest. [This will weaken the Citizen’s group claim – eliminate it]
(B) Any goal that includes helping the economy of a community will require public revenues in order to be achieved. [This is ok, but this will not help the conclusion – eliminate it]
(C) Anyone planning to use resources collected from a group must consult the members of the group before using the resources. [This strengthens the Mayor position – eliminate it
(D) Any cause worth committing oneself to must include specific goals toward which one can work. [If this is proposed then this weakens the Mayor’s role – hold it]
(E) Any cause not pursued by public officials, if it is to be pursued at all, must be pursued by members of the community. [Irrelevant to argument – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 23:45
az780 wrote:

I would imagine this is (D).

The mayor claims that building a highway using tax revenues is going to bring additional income to the town. Citizens group states that the mayor is incorrect and has other interests in mind, and he should build a business park instead.

We need to identify the underlying assumption behind the Citizens groups statement.

(A) This would imply that the Citizens group actually supports the mayors decision
(B) A neutral point well established by the statement. I don't see how this could be related to the assumption that we're looking for.
(C) While this argument sounds reasonable, I believe it does not directly contribute to the assumption by the Citizens group. Mainly because I'm not clear from the argument whether the mayor is consulting members of the group, or informing them about the upcoming project.
(D) Correct. It looks like the Citizens group's complaint is that the mayor fails to be specific enough about his intended revenue. Simply building a highway will not suffice. More concrete guidance and specific goals, such as the need for a business center, may be needed here.
(E) Irrelevant

Whats OA?

My GMAT debrief

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 07:58
incognito1 wrote:
az780 wrote:

I would imagine this is (D).

The mayor claims that building a highway using tax revenues is going to bring additional income to the town. Citizens group states that the mayor is incorrect and has other interests in mind, and he should build a business park instead.

We need to identify the underlying assumption behind the Citizens groups statement.

(A) This would imply that the Citizens group actually supports the mayors decision
(B) A neutral point well established by the statement. I don't see how this could be related to the assumption that we're looking for.
(C) While this argument sounds reasonable, I believe it does not directly contribute to the assumption by the Citizens group. Mainly because I'm not clear from the argument whether the mayor is consulting members of the group, or informing them about the upcoming project.
(D) Correct. It looks like the Citizens group's complaint is that the mayor fails to be specific enough about his intended revenue. Simply building a highway will not suffice. More concrete guidance and specific goals, such as the need for a business center, may be needed here.
(E) Irrelevant

Whats OA?

I think you guys are overlook a key premise that the business park will bring twice the revenue of the highway. If we take this as fact the only difference between the two projects is that one brings lower revunue than the other.

ex. Building the business park will bring the city $4MM in revenue and the highway will bring $2MM. Both of these are specific goals to help the economy. The issues the citizens have is that the Mayor is pursuing the goal that will bring in the lower of the two.

Statement A is saying that the reason the Mayor is choosing the lower of the two is becasue it actually helps further another cause instead. Because if there were no other cause then the Mayor would have to pursue the building project because it advances the economy furthest.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 13:02
gixxer1000 wrote:
I think you guys are overlook a key premise that the business park will bring twice the revenue of the highway. If we take this as fact the only difference between the two projects is that one brings lower revunue than the other.

ex. Building the business park will bring the city $4MM in revenue and the highway will bring $2MM. Both of these are specific goals to help the economy. The issues the citizens have is that the Mayor is pursuing the goal that will bring in the lower of the two.

Statement A is saying that the reason the Mayor is choosing the lower of the two is becasue it actually helps further another cause instead. Because if there were no other cause then the Mayor would have to pursue the building project because it advances the economy furthest.

I think statement A will not be applicable because the mayor clearly says "In order to help the economy of Plainsville, ". And then the question stem asks "Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?"

My GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
incognito1 wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:

I think statement A will not be applicable because the mayor clearly says "In order to help the economy of Plainsville, ". And then the question stem asks "Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would most help the citizens’ group to justify drawing its conclusion that the mayor has in mind interests other than Plainsville’s economy?"

We are looking for the answer that shows that the Mayor DOES NOT have Plainsville's economy in mind.

Fact: The Mayor is in favor of a highway project that brings in less revenue than the building project.

In other words, If you really want to help the economy then you will choose the project that brings in the most revenue to the economy.

Since the Mayor is NOT choosing the project that brings in the most revenue to the economy then the goal of this project must be for something other than the economy.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 17:40
We have to find the reason that Mayor is interest other than economy in pursuing the goal.

A - says that pursuing X is not as much beneficial as pursuing Y - so someone who is really pursuing the cause must pursue the option that gives max benefits

D- says one should pursue specific goals to achieve the objectives.

Citizens further argue that one should go farthest in pursing the goal which gives max benefit.

A goes farthest and better option than D

so A it is.

Whati s OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 19:25
it has to be A...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 21:57
gixxer1000 wrote:
incognito1 wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:

We are looking for the answer that shows that the Mayor DOES NOT have Plainsville's economy in mind.

Fact: The Mayor is in favor of a highway project that brings in less revenue than the building project.

In other words, If you really want to help the economy then you will choose the project that brings in the most revenue to the economy.

Since the Mayor is NOT choosing the project that brings in the most revenue to the economy then the goal of this project must be for something other than the economy.

Makes sense +1

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 22:15
I go with A.

Same explanation as Incognito1

Quote:

I will be really disappointed if its not A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR (Plainsville) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2008, 17:16
A it is.
Whats the OA az?

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Re: CR (Plainsville)   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2008, 17:16