Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 02:57
Hello Guys, I'm new to this forum.... And have a question:

I took the first CAT of Manhattan, and I am wondering: Do their CR questions really reflect the structure of the REAL CR questions in the GMAT?
I had no problems when I practiced the CR in the OG 13th edition, in which the questions seemed very well structured, and didn't need too much effort to find the assumptions and getting the right answer...
But in the Manhattan first CAT, when I checked my review report, almost in each CR question I told myself "WHAT?"!!! How am i supposed to think this way?! As If I had to dig into the mind of the person who wrote the question to figure out the answer!!! Unlike those in the OG where everything seemed clear to me!!!!

I'd be happy if someone has an idea, and can answer me!!!!

Thank you all!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 447

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 14:17
As you said different people's brain function differently. Yes, there is slight difference in the structure, but the process to crack the question/deduce the logic is pretty much the same. For some people, this slight difference does not matter and for some, it really puts them off.

As long as you are comfortable with OG/GMAT prep/Verbal Pack CRs, you should be good to go. Don't worry too much if you are doing well on the OG and other official material and not on MGMAT CRs.

good luck!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 5

Re: CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 06:50
Expert's post
You're in an envious position. Some people find that they are more comfortable with Test Prep questions (MGMAT or other types) and have a more difficult time with official GMAT questions and the transition can be painful. [That's why we emphasize so much Official Guide work with our students from the very beginning.]

The previous poster is exactly right. Since we are creating MGMAT CAT questions and not taking official material from the OG, there is a noticeable difference between our material and official GMAT material (for all question types). That said, there is a strong correlation between your performance on a MGMAT CAT and the official GMAT exam, so the MGMAT CATs are valid practice material. We do match the structure of the GMAT CR questions, so if you find that you consistently miss a particular problem type on an MGMAT exam (ie Draw a Conclusion), you should test yourself against that same question type in the OG to see if it's an issue with the source (MGMAT) or the type itself.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 07:50
jumsumtak wrote:
As you said different people's brain function differently. Yes, there is slight difference in the structure, but the process to crack the question/deduce the logic is pretty much the same. For some people, this slight difference does not matter and for some, it really puts them off.

As long as you are comfortable with OG/GMAT prep/Verbal Pack CRs, you should be good to go. Don't worry too much if you are doing well on the OG and other official material and not on MGMAT CRs.

good luck!

Thank you for your reply, that was encouraging :) Though I wish I could answer all the questions, no matter where are they taken from right!!! I will try doing so!!! :)

Again, thanks for your reply :)
Intern
Intern

Re: CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 07:54
KyleWiddison wrote:
You're in an envious position. Some people find that they are more comfortable with Test Prep questions (MGMAT or other types) and have a more difficult time with official GMAT questions and the transition can be painful. [That's why we emphasize so much Official Guide work with our students from the very beginning.]

The previous poster is exactly right. Since we are creating MGMAT CAT questions and not taking official material from the OG, there is a noticeable difference between our material and official GMAT material (for all question types). That said, there is a strong correlation between your performance on a MGMAT CAT and the official GMAT exam, so the MGMAT CATs are valid practice material. We do match the structure of the GMAT CR questions, so if you find that you consistently miss a particular problem type on an MGMAT exam (ie Draw a Conclusion), you should test yourself against that same question type in the OG to see if it's an issue with the source (MGMAT) or the type itself.

KW

Thank you Manhattan for your reply!!! :)

Well to b honest, I have to say that I really enjoyed practicing your free CAT, though you have a really difficult Quant section (I got 46 :( - though I rarely make mistakes when I practice)..... And regarding the verbal: I know it's my weak area, but didn't expect that I am that weak!!!! :( But surprisingly, I got higher than I expected (33)!!!! I try to look on the plenty half of the glass: It shook my, and told me: Hani, You still have plenty of work to do!!!!
I will take all your CATS after finishing all the material I have, and then I will re-evaluate my situation!!!

Again: THANK A LOT MANHATTAN :))))
Re: CR questions In MGMAT CATS !!!!!!   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2013, 07:54