Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [72]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618571 [2]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over globa [#permalink]
Kudos
fruit wrote:
I thought that A is out of scope. In assumption questions we should use just given info, isn't it?

Yes, you should only use information given in the passage. But, the assumption given in the answer choice is the information additional to what has already been given in the passage. And you have to use this external information as an assumption to draw the conclusion.

I also made the mistake in this question. I chose B in the first place. It cannot be B since it does not say in the passage that Green House Gases are the main contributors to the temperature rise. I used external information and the answer I got was wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [4]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over globa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IEsailor wrote:
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

Conclusion: People in coastal areas will have to relocate as the coastal cities will submerge into sea-water because of its rising level due to high temperatures.

New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
The temperatures will rise. And even the technology will not be able to protect the coastal cities from drowning. Thus, beware all living in Miami, you guys will have to relocate to Adirondacks in a century or so.

Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
Greenhouse gases- what does this do? Does it affect the environment. Does it make the weather colder? Out of scope.

Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers.
Extra information. No use to me.

Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century.
It can surely prove the gravity to which the conclusion holds true. Also, we already know this by inference of the phrase "Though predictions vary" and it is not an assumption. And it doesn't support the conclusion.

Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.
Thanks for blaming humans. But, how does it effect/support the conclusion.

Ans: "A"
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Negating A clearly crashes the conclusion about problems encountered at the coastal areas.

A it is.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31863 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines. Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

• New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
this is an asssumption which is directly affecting conclusion.. so correct
• Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
a very close second. it is truly an assumption but if we look closely. it does not support conclusion but supports the prediction...
• Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers.
no role in supporting..
• Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures
during the next century.
out of scope
• Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.
out of scope..
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The argument states that global warming will lead to an increase in temperature which will eventually raise the sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population hubs along the coastlines. The author assumes that people have to be relocated and there are no means to combat the situation. "A" rightly states the assumption. If "A" is reversed that is "Technological developments will divert the seas" then it goes against the conclusion.Hence that is the assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Bookmarks
hi,

as this is the cause and effect question. human activity ----->rise in earth temp----> rise in sea level----->coastal cities and people get displaced.

in cause and effect question.1.) cause comes before effect 2.) no alternate cause for the effect.
so, option E, which states human activity is the 'sole reason' is what i thought the correct answer due to above reasons.Please explain.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeepikaV wrote:
hi,

as this is the cause and effect question. human activity ----->rise in earth temp----> rise in sea level----->coastal cities and people get displaced.

in cause and effect question.1.) cause comes before effect 2.) no alternate cause for the effect.
so, option E, which states human activity is the 'sole reason' is what i thought the correct answer due to above reasons.Please explain.

I think you have not understood the argument properly. The argument concluded that the rising sea level will displace millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

So, Assumption could be something that says people don't have a way to save themselves or something that says these people are not the part of the whole problem, hence killing them is not going to help us.

Option E is saying Humans are the sole reason. What if they are not the sole reason? In that case also they are still a problem and displacing that would help us. So, this cannot be an assumption.

If I talk about option A, we are given "New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.". It means we don't have a way to save those people. Hence, this point lies inline with what we thought.

I hope that makes sense.

P.S: Sorry, I saw your post after 1 year otherwise I would have replied on time. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
this is so unbelievable, the lesson here is to recognize the pattern and try not to pay attention to outside knowledge. Clearly, test takers have to assume that there is a technology to prevent catastrophe in the conclusion of the argument.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
this is so unbelievable, the lesson here is to recognize the pattern and try not to pay attention to outside knowledge. Clearly, test takers have to assume that there is a technology to prevent catastrophe in the conclusion of the argument.

That's the beauty of this question. :)

The author said an increase in temperature would displace people. That means he is assuming that we cannot save them anyhow.

This is what option A is doing. It says even we have some sort of technological improvement, we cannot save them. Hence, it strengthens author's conclusion.

I know rejecting A because it seems to provide an outside knowledge could be our first step. But my friend, be careful. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Kudos
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Conclusion: Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines.

Falsification:
1) What if this increase in the sea levels could be checked?
2) What if this global temperature does not increase because of the counterbalancing effect of some other natural phenomenon?

Possible Assumption:
1) There’s no way the increase in the sea level or increase in the global temperature could be checked.

Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

A. New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
Negate: New technological developments in the next century will divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities
If the technological developments in the next century can do that, then we will be able to break the conclusion. Thus, this option has the potential to be a prospective assumption.

B. Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
Negate: Individuals will become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases
Even if the emission of the greenhouse gases is reduced, we do not know, within the scope of the argument, whether the event will have a positive or negative effect on the problems and whether the effect will be significant or not.

C. Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers.
Out of scope.

D. Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century.
Negate: No global warming experts predict a greater than eight-degree fah increase in the global temperature during the next century.
Doesn’t matter. The range mentioned in the argument is enough for the dooms days.

E. Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.
Negate: Human activity is not the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.
There may be some other factors, say X. But, this new information does not break the conclusion.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM

A. New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities. -Correct. If the seas won't be diverted then coastlines will be impacted.
B. Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. -Even if people become aware, the green house gases emission won't completely stop. Plus there are many ways in which global temperature can rise. Out of scope.
C. Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers. -Okay. out of scope.
D. Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures during the next century. -degree of increase in temperature is out of scope
E. Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures. -this is an extreme statement
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
I have doubts on this question.

The author is saying that because some researchers believe that there will be rise in temperature, there will actually be a rise in sea level and sinking of the costal cities. There is a big leap between saying what some researchers believe and then happening of what author is predicting would happen.

Should'nt the assumption address this gap?

Option A inherently assumes that the gap between prediction of researchers and happening of subsequent events is fulfilled.

Please help!!
chetan2u
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Although there has been great scientific debate for decades over global warming, most scientists now agree that human activity is causing the Earth’s temperature to rise. Though predictions vary, many global warming experts believe that average global temperatures will rise between three and eight degrees Fahrenheit during the next century. Such an increase would cause an alarming rise in sea levels, displacing millions of people by destroying major population centers along the world’s coastlines. Which of the following is an assumption in support of the argument’s conclusion?

• New technological developments in the next century will not divert rising seas from the world’s coastal cities.
this is an asssumption which is directly affecting conclusion.. so correct
• Individuals will not become more aware of the steps they can take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
a very close second. it is truly an assumption but if we look closely. it does not support conclusion but supports the prediction...
• Rising sea levels similarly affect all coastal population centers.
no role in supporting..
• Some global warming experts predict a greater than eight degree Fahrenheit increase in global temperatures
during the next century.

Hi experts,
I had trouble understanding what the conclusion of the argument is? I thought maybe it is "humans are causing the Earth's temperature to rise". Can someone help me out how to effectively pick the conclusion from the above argument? I think that part can also be disputed in the argument? Or is it presented to us as a fact?
out of scope
• Human activity is the sole cause of increasing global temperatures.
out of scope..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts