Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 16:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR Strategies - need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
CR Strategies - need some advice [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2011, 19:55
There are primarily 2 "high level" strategies in CR
1. Read the Stimulus -> Then the Stem -> Then pre-phrase, personalize, etc. -> Start eliminating choices, etc.
2. Read the Stem FIRST -> Then follow steps in #1

MGMAT CR and few others recommend #2. However, Powerscore CR recommends #1

When I started my GMAT prep, I read MGMAT CR first but I could not improve my accuracy using #2. Then I read Powerscore CR and my accuracy and confidence bumped up. Since then I have been following #1.

Now I realize that, at the beginning of my preparation, reading the Stem did not give me any information as I could not categorize these questions. However, now I can categorize just by reading the stem.

I think my accuracy under the time pressure is still not there where I would like, mainly BECAUSE I spend a lot of time pre-phrasing in-general. As I try to understand the stimulus while reading, since I don't know what I will be asked, I think about all possibilities; doing so sometimes takes a little bit more time than I would want to take. Then I read the stem and I pre-phrase the answer, and jump right into the choices.

Now my Question to those who have master the art of verbal is: Do you guys recommend me to switch to #2 strategy? Would that help me do CR faster while maintaining the desired accuracy?

Thanks.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Strategies - need some advice [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 12:18
There is no definite answer to your question. I think You should follow the strategy you are most comfortable with. However reading the question stem first is a better option because if you read the question stem first you will know what you have to do with the question. If you don't read the question stem first you might form a biased opinion during reading the stimulus. Believe me sometimes the question asks to refute or find flaw with a good sound logic and sometimes we have to strengthen a not so good idea. so if you read the question stem first you will know what you have to first. From beginning itself you will start finding what ever the question asks you to. Less chance of developing any personal favor for the argument. Means better chances of getting it right. However once you develop habit of reading passage first then its kinda hard to change the habit. I for one began with OG directly so find it hard to change my habit of reading the passage first.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Strategies - need some advice [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 08:19
Hi,

I would also agree that once you've become good at recognizing types of arguments and flaws (which it sounds like you have done) you should definitely be reading the question stem first. I know you already have our book, but this article gives some good reasoning and strategies to support this method: http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... reasoning/

Best,
Caitlin Clay

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: CR Strategies - need some advice   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2011, 08:19