Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Life
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: CR Tips/Guides [#permalink]
Great guideance guys. Makes very good sense :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
I like the Powerscore CR bible. The bible lists tips at the end of every chapter. I think it is an excellent source to improve CR.
Also, the bible suggests reading the stimulus first and then the question stem. it defends this strategy. It suggests that reading the question stem works for easy questions but not on difficult ones. Moreover, if the question stem has a lot of new information, then you end up wasting 10-15 seconds reading the stem unnecessarily and then rereading it again after you read the stimulus.

which one is good. GMAT OR LSAT..POWERSCORE??
which one do you suggest
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
x2suresh wrote:
aaron22197 wrote:
I like the Powerscore CR bible. The bible lists tips at the end of every chapter. I think it is an excellent source to improve CR.
Also, the bible suggests reading the stimulus first and then the question stem. it defends this strategy. It suggests that reading the question stem works for easy questions but not on difficult ones. Moreover, if the question stem has a lot of new information, then you end up wasting 10-15 seconds reading the stem unnecessarily and then rereading it again after you read the stimulus.

which one do you suggest

I haven't tried the LSAT powerscore, but I did try the GMAT powerscore. Since there is a book directly relevant to the GMAT, why work on the LSAT book? I found the GMAT Powerscore an excellent book.
Director
Director
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
aaron22197 wrote:

which one do you suggest

I haven't tried the LSAT powerscore, but I did try the GMAT powerscore. Since there is a book directly relevant to the GMAT, why work on the LSAT book? I found the GMAT Powerscore an excellent book.

thanks buddy
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I vote for the CR PowerScore Bible also. That thing is amazing! It really helped me out. In the first chapter the book says "If you're running short on time to prep, then read the following sections first:..." I don't remember all the sections, but I did that and read through the MGMAT SC Guide once and improved by verbal score from V38 to V42 on my GMAT retake. I also practiced RC a bit, but I've never had a problem with RC.

Because I realize you're not asking abot books (althought a book would be the best) here are a few of my own suggestions:

Identify each sentence as a PREMISE or CONCLUSION.

PREMISE - a statement of fact that can be used to support or undermine a position or conclusion.

CONCLUSION - A position taken as a result of information presented in the argument. Some Conclusions can also be used as premises for other conclusions.

Example: Sally is tall. Tall people are good at volleyball. Sally must be good at volleyball. Sally must be on her varsity team.

[This isn't a perfect example.]

"Sally is tall" is a premise. It's just a fact (or presented as a fact in the argument).
"Tall people are good at volleyball." Also a PREMISE
"Sally must be good at volleyball." Key here is "must". That signals a conclusion about Sally which is drawn from her being tall and tall people being good at volleyball.
"Sally must be on her varsity team." This is a leap (I admit, but I didn't take a long time to develop a great question.) It uses "Sally must be good at volleyball." to support the conclusion that she is on her varsity team.
Director
Director
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
I vote for the CR PowerScore Bible also. That thing is amazing! It really helped me out. In the first chapter the book says "If you're running short on time to prep, then read the following sections first:..." I don't remember all the sections, but I did that and read through the MGMAT SC Guide once and improved by verbal score from V38 to V42 on my GMAT retake. I also practiced RC a bit, but I've never had a problem with RC.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jallen, great stuff, I will look into the PowerScore CR first chapter to see what they suggest.
What are the other books you're suggesting?...title pls.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [0]
Send PM
Also, Ali and others... Download the GMATTER, it has 2054 CR questions.

If you can practice a few questions everyday...your hit ratio will get much better.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
Also, Ali and others... Download the GMATTER, it has 2054 CR questions.

If you can practice a few questions everyday...your hit ratio will get much better.

Could anyone please upload the GMATTER CR bin (the one with 2054 questions). GMATTER's website is down and the version I have lacks the large CR bin.

Thanks,
Ali
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts