Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:16) correct 34% (01:33) wrong based on 141 sessions
Hello , I am a little confused with the following question;

A company plans to develop a prototype weeding machine that uses cutting blades with optical sensors and microprocessors that distinguish weeds from crop plants by differences in shade of color. The inventor of the machine claims that it will reduce labor costs by virtually eliminating the need for manual weeding.

Which of the following is a consideration in favor of the company's implementing its plan to develop the prototype?

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.
B. The shade of color of some plants tends to change appreciably over the course of their growing season.
C. When crops are weeded manually, overall size and leaf shape are taken into account in distinguishing crop plants from weeds.
D. Selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics.
E. Farm laborers who are responsible for the manual weeding of crops carry out other agricultural duties at times in the growing season when extensive weeding is not necessary.

So, we have to find and answer to strengthen the conclusion
Conclusion: labor costs will be reduced by implementing a weeding machines which works by differentiating colors.

I do not understand why the correct answer is D. It is not completely clear the connection between the selection of genetic manipulation with the effectiveness of the prototype.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 1

Re: CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 18:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The weeding machine works to eliminate weeds based on color. It needs to distinguish the color of the weeds from those of other plants. Answer choice D states that basically any plant can be made to have a distinctive color. This ensures that these plants could be bred to have a color that the machine recognizes as NOT being a weed, and thus does not destroy the plant. This increases the effectiveness of the weeding machine by allowing it to work in areas with virtually any kind of plants.

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-22-2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 08:24
Narrowed it down to A & D and D sounded better to me. The machine distinguishes by differences in shade color.

A. There is variation in color which supports what the machine was designed to do.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 15:57
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
The weeding machine works to eliminate weeds based on color. It needs to distinguish the color of the weeds from those of other plants. Answer choice D states that basically any plant can be made to have a distinctive color. This ensures that these plants could be bred to have a color that the machine recognizes as NOT being a weed, and thus does not destroy the plant. This increases the effectiveness of the weeding machine by allowing it to work in areas with virtually any kind of plants.

I hope this helps!!!

Hi,
Could you please explain why A is wrong
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 23:03
Its not actually a strengthen question. It asks us to choose an option that supports the implementation of the plan by the company. The company's plan is to develop the prototype not to reduce labour costs.
Hence the option we are seeking should say,"Ok, its good to go ahead with the plan."
Now just look at D) which says "selection and genetic manipulation allow plants of virtually any species to be economically bred to have a distinctive shade of color without altering their other characteristics".
The machine operates by first distinguishing the color and then cutting the weeds which have a different shade.
Option D) clearly helps us to believe that if distinctive shade of color is possible without altering any other characteristics then the machine can very much be put to use. Hence the company should go ahead with its plan to develop the machine.
If this explanation helps please do not hesitate to give me kudos.

If you shut your door to all errors, truth will be shut out.

Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 18

Re: CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 12:25
Sam1 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:

I hope this helps!!!

Hi,
Could you please explain why A is wrong

I think I can help you with this.

A. There is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between weeds of different species.

Whether there is a considerable degree of variation in shade of color between the weeds is irrelevant to the success of the company's plan. Even the slightest variation in shade of color that can distinguish weeds from plants would be sufficient to guarantee the plan's success. Hence choice A does not strengthen the argument.

Hope that is clear.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Re: CR- Verbal Review 2nd ed question 51   [#permalink] 25 Dec 2013, 12:25