Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2015, 16:40
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CR- weaken (children)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 12:19
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (02:50) correct 22% (01:13) wrong based on 32 sessions
Please help me to explain this sentence:

A group of children of various ages was read stories in which people caused harm, some of those people doing so intentionally, and some accidentally. When asked about appropriate punishments for those who had caused harm, the younger children, unlike the older ones, assigned punishments that did not vary according to whether the harm was done intentionally or accidentally. Younger children, then, do not regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) In interpreting these stories, the listeners had to draw on a relatively mature sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally.
(B) In these stories, the severity of the harm produced was clearly stated.
(C) Younger children are as likely to produce harm unintentionally as are older children.
(D) The older children assigned punishment in a way that closely resembled the way adults had assigned punishment in a similar experiment.
(E) The younger children assigned punishments that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 13:42
I would choose A. Since this options states that: listeners had to draw on a relatively mature sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally, and since younger children are not likely to have that skill developed, the argument that ''Younger children, then, do not regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment'' is seriously weaken by the above conclusion.

What is the OA?

ttram wrote:
Please help me to explain this sentence:

A group of children of various ages was read stories in which people caused harm, some of those people doing so intentionally, and some accidentally. When asked about appropriate punishments for those who had caused harm, the younger children, unlike the older ones, assigned punishments that did not vary according to whether the harm was done intentionally or accidentally. Younger children, then, do not regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) In interpreting these stories, the listeners had to draw on a relatively mature sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally.
(B) In these stories, the severity of the harm produced was clearly stated.
(C) Younger children are as likely to produce harm unintentionally as are older children.
(D) The older children assigned punishment in a way that closely resembled the way adults had assigned punishment in a similar experiment.
(E) The younger children assigned punishments that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 14:25
JCLEONES wrote:
I would choose A. Since this options states that: listeners had to draw on a relatively mature sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally, and since younger children are not likely to have that skill developed, the argument that ''Younger children, then, do not regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment'' is seriously weaken by the above conclusion.

What is the OA?

ttram wrote:
Please help me to explain this sentence:

A group of children of various ages was read stories in which people caused harm, some of those people doing so intentionally, and some accidentally. When asked about appropriate punishments for those who had caused harm, the younger children, unlike the older ones, assigned punishments that did not vary according to whether the harm was done intentionally or accidentally. Younger children, then, do not regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion above?

(A) In interpreting these stories, the listeners had to draw on a relatively mature sense of human psychology in order to tell whether harm was produced intentionally or accidentally.
(B) In these stories, the severity of the harm produced was clearly stated.
(C) Younger children are as likely to produce harm unintentionally as are older children.
(D) The older children assigned punishment in a way that closely resembled the way adults had assigned punishment in a similar experiment.
(E) The younger children assigned punishments that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories.

A is an answer. However, I still do not understand a little bit.

The premise says that "the younger children, unlike the older ones, assigned punishments that did not vary according to whether the harm was done intentionally or accidentally".
The conclusion is that "Younger children, then, do not regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment."

Thus, if A is right, it weakens the premise, not the conclusion. What is the point here? We should pick the answer which weakens the premise, or the conclusion? Please help me to explain, thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 14:27
hey what is the correct answer ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 15:49
vermatanya wrote:
hey what is the correct answer ?

A is an answer.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1576
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 2

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 17:59
whats the deal with A ? It seems to contradict the conclusion
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2585
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2008, 20:53
pmenon wrote:
whats the deal with A ? It seems to contradict the conclusion



I agree. What is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 06:29
pmenon wrote:
whats the deal with A ? It seems to contradict the conclusion



Well A is the right answer... and its simple why?

If the children are not able to ( not mature enough to ) interpret whether the crime was done intentionally or unintentionally then can't judge it on the basis of interpreation. therefore the conclusion that for younger children intention doesn't matter is untrue..
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 120
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 08:58
Agreed, A it is.

it is supposed to contradict the conclusion because it weakens it the most, and weakening is the type of the question asked.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: mission completed!
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 1420
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 172

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 10:45
the source is OG10.

A weakens the conclusion by saying that younger children do not posses mature sense to determine whether the harm was produced intentionally or not.
_________________

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1358
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 10

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2011, 21:28
Between A and D, A actually strengthens the conclusion.

D is the best.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Only GMAT!!
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 74
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 09:38
D cannot be the answer as it talks about the older children...the argument talks about the younger ones.
At first read I was confused with the answer, but I was able to eliminate B, D and E.
Between A and C...C didn't make any sense... and I selected A as answer.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1868
Followers: 1588

Kudos [?]: 4769 [0], given: 219

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 22:25
Expert's post
Hi,

I got a PM to respond to this question. Please find the response below:



Let me know if it helps.

-Rajat
_________________

Aiming to score 760+ on the GMAT? Attend our free webinars to learn how to:

[*] Master Number Properties
[*] Ace Critical Reasoning

The webinars will start at 7 AM PST on the 11th and 12th of July, 2015.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 566
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 16

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 06:15
egmat wrote:
Hi,

I got a PM to respond to this question. Please find the response below:



Let me know if it helps.

-Rajat


I too marked A, But i am unable to rule out E. Can you please explain how you ruled out E?

My reasoning for E is

When the younger children assigned punishments that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories then the Younger children regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment. so it might weaken the conclusion

Please correct me if i am wrong
_________________

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1868
Followers: 1588

Kudos [?]: 4769 [0], given: 219

Re: CR- weaken (children) [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 09:35
Expert's post
Quote:
My reasoning for E is

When the younger children assigned punishments that varied according to the severity of the harm done by the agents in the stories then the Younger children regard people’s intentions as relevant to punishment. so it might weaken the conclusion

Please correct me if i am wrong


There is no relationship between severity of harm and intention. Lets say I hit someone while driving my car at 70 mph. The severity of harm would be the same whether I hit the person intentionally or by accident. Since there is no relationship between severity of harm in intention, this choice is OFS (out of scope)

S
_________________

Aiming to score 760+ on the GMAT? Attend our free webinars to learn how to:

[*] Master Number Properties
[*] Ace Critical Reasoning

The webinars will start at 7 AM PST on the 11th and 12th of July, 2015.

Re: CR- weaken (children)   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2013, 09:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic WEaken CR- Beta Corporation iyersu 3 16 Dec 2013, 07:33
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic CR Weaken passages -- Five good reasons which can weaken daagh 6 31 Oct 2013, 01:49
66 Experts publish their posts in the topic How to Get CR Weaken Right Every Time MarkSullivan 9 08 Aug 2012, 09:58
3 View RonPurewal's video for Strengthen/Weaken CR IndigoIntentions 3 03 Mar 2011, 22:35
CR - weaken the conclusion type prag123 10 11 May 2006, 23:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

CR- weaken (children)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.