Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cracked GMAT - 780! Yahoooo!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 20:12
jpv,
Let me clarify myself. This forum is fabulous for verbal questions, particularly for SCs. Follow all the verbal threads in this forum and you will be in a great shape for verbal. However, don't panic if you see questions - quite a few questions(the "many" in my previous post) - which seem ambiguous. Bottomline, don't worry if your hit-rate on the questions posted in this forum is much less than your hit-rate on OG. Atleast that was the case with me. One needs to realize that people generally post tough questions.

I get frightened whenever anyone says this.
Tell me about these:
Do SC questions test anything more than those 6 basic errors?
###Sorry, I don't know. But just to make the most of my limited 10 week prep time, I decided to concentrate on the ETS-GMAT errors(isn't it more than just 6?) and the combinations thereof.
Do they only combine these basic errors or do they test something more convoluted or another concept?
###Again I don't know. But I did limit my prep to these errors in the interest of time.
What will you suggest us to improve our SC scores particularly?
1. For each option, be it right or wrong, try to find one or more good reason/s to justify your choice. Though this technique slowed me down initially, with practice it helped improve my hit-rate tremendously.
2. Make a note of all the grammar rules/tips/insights that you gain from various sources. Revise regularly.
3. Read the responses of Paul/Honghu and other experts we have here.
4. Practise, practise, practise! OG, ETS papers, GMAT+, VStudy etc

Hope that helps.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 20:22
mckenna wrote:
jpv,
Let me clarify myself. This forum is fabulous for verbal questions, particularly for SCs. Follow all the verbal threads in this forum and you will be in a great shape for verbal. However, don't panic if you see questions - quite a few questions(the "many" in my previous post) - which seem ambiguous. Bottomline, don't worry if your hit-rate on the questions posted in this forum is much less than your hit-rate on OG. Atleast that was the case with me. One needs to realize that people generally post tough questions.

I get frightened whenever anyone says this.
Tell me about these:
Do SC questions test anything more than those 6 basic errors?
###Sorry, I don't know. But just to make the most of my limited 10 week prep time, I decided to concentrate on the ETS-GMAT errors(isn't it more than just 6?) and the combinations thereof.
Do they only combine these basic errors or do they test something more convoluted or another concept?
###Again I don't know. But I did limit my prep to these errors in the interest of time.
What will you suggest us to improve our SC scores particularly?
1. For each option, be it right or wrong, try to find one or more good reason/s to justify your choice. Though this technique slowed me down initially, with practice it helped improve my hit-rate tremendously.
2. Make a note of all the grammar rules/tips/insights that you gain from various sources. Revise regularly.
3. Read the responses of Paul/Honghu and other experts we have here.
4. Practise, practise, practise! OG, ETS papers, GMAT+, VStudy etc

Hope that helps.

You rock dude.....I wish you the very best in all your apps.....
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 20:23
Banerjee,
For AWA, I read about 15-20 issue essays from ARCO. I studied for AWA only in the last 8 days. As a result, I was not very confident about the issue essay, going into the exam; but i was lucky to get an essay that I had already practised!

Argument essays are easy to ace, I never spent much time on them.

HTH

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 20:34
Banerjee,
Forgot to add one more point:
In the last four days, I did 3 full-length tests, including the AWA. Its very essential that you practise writing atleast a couple of essays before the actual test.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2005, 19:18
your story and score is so inspiring that I have to come back to read whenever I got really tired of GMAT.

Best of luck to your next attempt.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 17:27
mckenna wrote:
MA, I will post the notes after a few days.Thanks

mckenna, have you forget the promish?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2005, 16:32
Wow. I know I'm a little late but please accept my congratulations too!

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2005, 03:11
Congrats mckenna and great posts. I'm also interested in seeing your SC notes. Kindly make them available to us when you can.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2005, 09:07
Good shot mckenna.
Share some insight to increase the focus in Verbal. :idea:
  [#permalink] 13 Jun 2005, 09:07