Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 32

Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT... [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 05:05
This post received
KUDOS
How do the Cracking the GMAT CAT's compare to the real thing? If there is a prior post discussing this, just let me know.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [2] , given: 0

Re: Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT... [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 05:16
This post received
KUDOS
I got 26 on the Cracking the GMAT verbal and 50 on the real deal!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [2] , given: 8

Re: Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT... [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 05:19
This post received
KUDOS
jallenmorris wrote:
How do the Cracking the GMAT CAT's compare to the real thing? If there is a prior post discussing this, just let me know.

Hi JAllen,

[edit: it seems that I am not talking about the same CAT, but what i say still stands,, don't look too much into it. Even KevinCan got a low score on that test]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
i did the free PR test ages ago (in January). It was about a month before my actual GMAT and I scored 690 in the test (from memory it was a Q45 V41 split). Now there interesting thing was that I only got 4-5 wrong in the quant, which i felt was way too easy, which indicates that their scoring algorithm is flawed to say the least.

I have heard from other clubbers that its a good test to gauge verbal ability (but again their scoring will be flawed) since verbal questions (especially SC) are more inline with what we are used to.

I read your earlier post regaring your experience. If I were you, I'd disregard that score and continue as you are. You seem to be posting some good stuff that indicates you are on the right track!

Use these CATS to get used to 4 hours in that g-chair and pacing etc, but don't dwell too much on scores.

-buff

Last edited by buffdaddy on 17 Jun 2008, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [1] , given: 32

Re: Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT... [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
buffdaddy,

Thanks for the encouragement. I think one of the mistakes I made was that I took it pretty late at night and wasn't able to focus very well on the verbal. I've been really busy with some other stuff as well (programming a website for a client that is starting to spiral into something way bigger than I ever thought it would become.) In addition to all the other normal things everyone has (family, work, social life, sleep!).

I'm going to take a week's break from the forums here (at least at night...I still visit during work hours to break up the work day from my dull job.) I'm going to hit the OG books (I have all 3) very hard and finish up those questions. I'm going to retake the GMAT in mid-july.

As for the 4 hours in the chair, I'm not worried about that. During law school I got used to long tests (most were 3 hours, a few were 2) of nothing but writing by hand. The thing is I never started those tests at 8:30 p.m.!

Thanks again for the encouragement.

KEVINCAN - thanks for letting me know I'm not alone and I an view this score as an anomaly.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT... [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 06:30
wow, a lawyer who programs websites and wants to get an MBA!!

kudos!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT... [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
In my experience the PR CATs were very close to the real GMAT.
Re: Cracking the GMAT compared to real GMAT...   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2008, 17:33